Question about Zbrush scene concept

AnimAnim Posts: 241

Hello community,

hope it is ok to ask about Zbrush here.

Background:

I am more and more trying to make content instead of only buying stuff. Had a first success with a leotard in Marvelous Designer. 

But now I like to add better hems (or is it called seams?) to the leotard. The hems should have some thicknes to them.

I understood that I need to create the geometry because Marvelous does not export thickened geo in a way needed for Daz.

I could do it in a traditional modeler but thought I anyway need to start understanding a sculpting app.

Finally I got Zbrush.

Started with tutorials but it seems I have a main brain blocker.

The question:

I am used to import a genesis figure in my modeler or Marvelous and take care that it is at 0 position and at correct scale. Then do something with clothing and take care that it is the same position and size for import into Daz Studio. In the end everything fits nicely together.

But in Zbrush I only found a way to import geometry as a tool. Then I need to create the 3d mesh by using this tool.

What I don't understand is, how to handle the scale and position in this case. As it seems to me Zbrush does not have a "scene" with an Y,Y,Z zero point and a scale unit system.

I am sure I am missing a basic concept here. If you know a tutorial that shines light on this I would appreciate to get a link.

What I like to try is:

• get the leotard into Zbrush
  • retopo it (Marvelous geometry is a little messy)
  • thicken the hems
  • export it to get it into Daz for further experiments
193_sRGB.jpg
688 x 1000 - 968K
Post edited by Anim on

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    Anim said:

Hello community,

hope it is ok to ask about Zbrush here.

Yes.

Anim said:

Background:

I am more and more trying to make content instead of only buying stuff. Had a first success with a leotard in Marvelous Designer. 

But now I like to add better hems (or is it called seams?) to the leotard. The hems should have some thicknes to them.

Seams are like when two pieces are sewn together. Hems are at the end of a garment: skirt waist/end, cuff end, collar opening.

Anim said:

I understood that I need to create the geometry because Marvelous does not export thickened geo in a way needed for Daz.

The only thing I would not do ia double surface; just the semblance of hem. You can look at various clothing at Daz to see how they handle it.

Anim said:

I could do it in a traditional modeler but thought I anyway need to start understanding a sculpting app.

Finally I got Zbrush.

Started with tutorials but it seems I have a main brain blocker.

The question:

I am used to import a genesis figure in my modeler or Marvelous and take care that it is at 0 position and at correct scale. Then do something with clothing and take care that it is the same position and size for import into Daz Studio. In the end everything fits nicely together.

Are you using an obj in MD because that same obj can be used in ZBrush to model over. You would import the figure obj which makes it a subtool.

You then append a poly star (this is the easiest to append to be replaced), make sure the star is selected and import the clothing obj.

Repeat as needed.

Select which subtool you want to export when done.

Anim said:

But in Zbrush I only found a way to import geometry as a tool. Then I need to create the 3d mesh by using this tool.

What I don't understand is, how to handle the scale and position in this case. As it seems to me Zbrush does not have a "scene" with an Y,Y,Z zero point and a scale unit system.

Make sure you know what scale you originally exported your figure obj; I use Daz scale for everything. When you bring in your clothing obj back to Daz Studio, use this same scale.

Anim said:

I am sure I am missing a basic concept here. If you know a tutorial that shines light on this I would appreciate to get a link.

What I like to try is:

• get the leotard into Zbrush
    • retopo it (Marvelous geometry is a little messy)
    • thicken the hems
    • export it to get it into Daz for further experiments

• AnimAnim Posts: 241

Thanks for your input.

Do you know a tutorial that helps to understand the concepts of Zbrush compared to traditional polygon modeling?

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

The Pixologic stie has great tutorials in their ZClassroom.

https://pixologic.com/zclassroom/

Great way to start.

• AnimAnim Posts: 241

Thanks, going through them now.