Messed up saving a character

AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Hi, 

I made a character a few months ago, when I came to save it I, saved a folder in the wrong place and some how managed to save loads of characters' folders within that folder. Naturally now if I delete all the character folders that are duplicated in the wrong place my character doesn't work. So, is there a simple way to fix the problem without losing my character and without having all those duplicated other characters, some of which don't even seam to be used or referenced?

Thanks

Post edited by AbnerK on

Comments

• Are these just presets, or are they new assets?

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Are these just presets, or are they new assets?

Thanks, Richard, 

I created a charcter from Joel HD basically Joel body and face a few tweaks with various morphs and a different skin meterial. ('Noel' - New Joel) I accidentally created a character file in the Data folder, and saved a preset in the Content Library by clicking the + icon, as far as I remember. I loaded him on Saturday and he wasnt working. Joel 'couldn't me found' but he was there in Smart Content and Content Library. I then browsed to the folder of the 'Noel' and then saw about 10 PA folders with their characters inside. I have no clue how it happened. I certainly don't remember any long save time when I save 'Noel' or why characters I didn't even use were saved along with him in that folder. 

Thanks

• Sounds as if you did a File>Save As>Support Asset of some kind, are the saved files you see in the /Data folder in .dsf format (rather than .duf)?

Thanks Richard, looking at it again it looks like saved it 'Noel' as a .duf but when it came to saving the hair and materials I have saved it as a Support Asset and there's loads of .dsf files. What I really don't understand though is how I've got all those files that I really have no reason to have saved or used like Mr. Felton.... 

I think I'm just going to have to delete the duplicated asset folder. I'll make a note what I've actually used and start again. 

Thanks for your help. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 21.28.32.png
    2122 x 1746 - 552K
  • It looks as if you saved Noel as a new Figure asset, which saved all the parts of Genesis 8 Male under the new name too. The Support Asset menu is not for presets, it's only for custom assets - stuff you have build from scratch rather than by adjusting sliders on the base figure. I'm not sure how you can recover your settings if the custom figure won't even load - if it would you could save a shaping preset and apply that to a base Genesis 8 Male.

Thanks Richard, I must have been distracted when I did it. I've been on meds that made it hard to concentrate. I didn't think saving as a shaping preset would work if the figure was made up from assets in the wrong place. The main one was Joel so I reloaded the badly loaded figure with Joel from the right place then saved as a preset again. I think what I'd been trying to do was a preset that loaded all the hair in one go rather than a preset for the face hair, head hair....

He looks like he did before anyway. 

Thanks for your help.