At this rate - is there anything I can do to achieve even faster renders? Using an i9 and 2080ti

I decided to go big and upgrade from a 7700 to an I9 9900K and an RTX 2080ti. I know this is a great combination but the issue is that even when I render a large scene - My I9 goes NUTS and hits 90C. I am waiting on an AIO watercooler that I've managed to fit into my case, it seems it does a great job of keeping the I9 at bay.

My problem is that multiple cards (NvLink, Sli, or even Non-sli... it doesn't matter) don't seem to be the answer. I am very VERY happy with the CPU as that seems to be a monster when rendering my scenes, but am I capped out?

If I am, that is totally fine. The renders are lightning fast, for me it's about doing animations and how long it's drawn out - not just needing it as fast as possible for the hell of it. I want to speed up any animations that I have been working on.

If it matters - 32 gigs of ram as well, before it was 16 and let me tell you - H U G E upgrade!

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,569

technically is you have a 2080 ti and it's going to CPU, then your scene is too big to fit on your GPU. try using the scene optimizer in the store to decrease texture size. I have the same GPU and it;s what i do to try and keep renders from using the CPU instead.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

You probably need a ten grand Quadro if you're maxing out the memory of a 2080 Ti.  Lots of characters in scene?

• Will somethign simple, like a sphere, render on the GPU (you can check the log file if it goes past too quickly to see in the progress bar)? Have you checked that you are using at least the 430.86 drivers for the nVidia card (you can't assume that the card came with the latest)?

• Your scenes are most likely dropping to CPU because they're too big for the VRAM. Needing more than 11Gb for scenes gets very expenmsive so using scene optimizer is you best option. To speed up animation renders, once you get scenes that fit on the GPU, is to get more GPU's. 

• Besides possibility as written above about scene too big ofoir VRAM, did you check your RAM usage?

Have RTX2080Ti and I upgraded to 64GB ram from 32GB, because was tired of having to run scene optimizer all the time.  Once near max ram, systems starts memory swapping, and then you get CPU grind.  Normally I get around 50% CPU load, but I don't have mupltiple GPU's.  Dont' know if there is a diff?   Don't ask me why RAM is so much higher than VRAM during render.  It is on my system.

• PinkusPinkus Posts: 26
    With iray, You want to render on Your RTX2080ti, the CPU should be way slower, and GPU+CPU sometimes is slower than using just the GPU. I suggest testing the combinations on a single character scene. The limit should be the GPU's on board RAM, the scene should be optimized to fit this. AFAIK, to combine the memory of multiple GPUs You need the new nVidia connector (but do not use SLI), I have not tested this. I think the 2080ti supports it, but don't take my word and check it. The fact that You hit 90°C is not a software issue, it is correct to upgrade the cooling, also check Your overclock, if any. PS: if a GPU render fails back to the CPU, sometimes it is necessary to restart DS to enable the GPU path again, if it is a driver crash, just reboot.
  • PinkusPinkus Posts: 26
    PPS: I forgot to mention, use the creator drivers by nVidia, not the gamer ones!
  • In DS GPU's do not combine VRAM. 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@Pinkus

The only difference between Nvidia Studio drviers and Game ready driveras is more testing with the studio drivers. As long as you don't update the game reay drivers every time one is released you will be fine. For example  game ready driver 430.86 is stable with both 4.12.0.86 and Beta 4.12.1.16.