Anti Favoriting threads?

This might be a question more for the Admins, but is there a way to hide specific threads in the DAZ forums?  

The issue is that there are DOZENS if not HUNDREDS of threads with THOUSANDS of repies (and you know which ones I'm referring to) that have long lost any relevance to Daz, let alone the original topic.

I for one am frankly tired of having to scroll past those every visit to the forum. I suspect it isn't considering how lacking the forum app is in just basic tools (like a useful search), but I also suspect I'm not alone in this annoyance.

You can tag a thread as Follow; why not an option to tag to Hide? Perhaps it's a simple option toggle giving the user something like an open/closed eyeball?

Ideally, I'd like to see Daz migrate to a Forum app that's of the 21st Century, but know that would also be an extremely daunting task so really can't see that ever happening, at least not im my lifetime.

But I have to ask. Rare, but sometimes the impossible does happen.

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I think you have a good idea on hiding threads which you don't want to see, as it could be a nice timesaver for thread surfers. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited October 2019

its the actions of those quoting each other more than the threads themselves that is the issue

yes I am guilty of posting in the thread killer, stupid and my own Carrara forum off topic thread (its not in the commons and is mostly 3D chat)

but don't do the quote thing as a rule that destroys forum search functions

a dedicated off topic section not a bad idea actually though the commons is largely that

the issue is they broke the specific forum search that once existed

you could also hide sections like the commons

some came about because of posts disappearing on topic IE the thread killer

and guilty parties go there to vent their frustration

the Stupid thread was started years ago by Jaderail specifically  to keep off topic stuff in one place and share cat pics

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

yeah, then none of the million or so threads asking if anyone knows who a character/hair/clothing is will be shown since most will just hide those, LOL

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

yeah, then none of the million or so threads asking if anyone knows who a character/hair/clothing is will be shown since most will just hide those, LOL

Well, at least you would have the choice to do so, but you'd need to hide them one by one.  I'm not as sure as you are that "most" would hide them, but those who would want to see them wouldn't care if you did or didn't.  We'd be fine.

Migrating a message board database is a really big undertaking, but that's probably what it would take.  There are some good things about what's here now, like the linking options, which most people don't use, and the way nested quotes are hidden.   Maybe that kind of thing could have a home in an "Off-Topic" section?  And they could add a "What's this Product?" section at the same time.  Some people like testing their memories or ability to track down assets, and every message board ends up with Off-Topic stuff being posted.  Oh, and perhaps we could add a "Product Discussion" thread, but that would work best if the Daz Deals link tracking were baked into the store software.

Sevrin said:

Well, at least you would have the choice to do so, but you'd need to hide them one by one.  I'm not as sure as you are that "most" would hide them, but those who would want to see them wouldn't care if you did or didn't.  We'd be fine.

It was sarcasm since they pop up often and seem to be increasing in number. It would be interesting to see if responses in those threads decline if this feature was implemented

• ^Part of the problem for me is a lack of certain forums (like a 'Where can I find..? / Which product is this...?' one like they have at Rendo) and the under-utilization of other fora like 'Technical Help' (posting a tech question in the Commons is more likely to get a response in my experience as many people just don't visit the Tech forum).

I probably wouldn't use a hide-thread button, but I can see why people would want the option.

just hiding the complaint thread from search would help 

that is the one that breaks the search function due to each poster quoting the previous ones

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

The problem isn't limited to here certainly.  Pretty much ALL forums I frequent have similar issues.  I suspect that the reason is the apps came from the BBS era (Bulletin Board Services in the pre-Net dial-up days for the young 'uns) & just never evolved. They were designed for a few hundred users, not tens of thousands.

I also have genuine sympathy for the Mods who have to look at EVERY posting. Yikes! Is that voluntary or are they doing pennance?

And for the record, I wouldn't mind a Cat's thread though. wink

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,038

I have the forum set to open with 'Recent Discussions' set and that way I see the threads with new posts. All I do then is scroll through and read the threads I might be interested in. After reading all the new posts I go to 'Mark Forums Viewed' and click on it. I do wish there was a 'Mark Posts Read' option though as whenever there is a new post on threads I don't read there are hundreds of new posts showing. I usually just open them now and again and go to the last page which clears the 'New' tag.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078
    Doc Acme said:

You can tag a thread as Follow; why not an option to tag to Hide? Perhaps it's a simple option toggle giving the user something like an open/closed eyeball?

Ideally, I'd like to see Daz migrate to a Forum app that's of the 21st Century, but know that would also be an extremely daunting task so really can't see that ever happening, at least not im my lifetime.

But I have to ask. Rare, but sometimes the impossible does happen.

https://civilizationhunt.com/ds/

"Ignore forum threads" script.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    a dedicated off topic section not a bad idea actually though the commons is largely that

The Commons is for  "Discuss anything Daz 3D related not covered by any other forum here."   so actually a lot of the posts in the Commons should be in other forums.

the Stupid thread was started years ago by Jaderail specifically  to keep off topic stuff in one place and share cat pics

No the stupid thread was started by Jaderail "Just because he could"   There were already other Off Topic threads

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

It was sarcasm since they pop up often and seem to be increasing in number. It would be interesting to see if responses in those threads decline if this feature was implemented

I happy to see WCIF culture here, actually. As customer, anyway.

*WCIF = "Where Can I Find". It comes as term from Sims modding community, in which people look at screenshots with all those custom-made content like clothes, hair, cosmetics etc. and ask where they come from.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I mostly post technical questions to the DAZ Discussion forum or the Technical Help forum although sometimes when I'm really impatient I'll ask in the Commons forum, not that that gets better answers just more answers and answers more quickly.

The Commons is just a gossip forum, just read the threads created each time a new DAZ Pro Bundle is released and you'll see that. You shouldn't really expect that idle chit-chat is necessarily going to be interesting to you. You have the choice to ignore the entire Commons though or any other forum section.

• evacynevacyn Posts: 950
    edited October 2019
    I wish we had a dedicated forum section for the 'what character/hair/etc is this' posts. It would make it easier to find answers to questions that were previously posted and there are enough of them to garner its own section of the forum.
    Post edited by evacyn on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

^ yeah, agree

akmerlow said:

I happy to see WCIF culture here, actually. As customer, anyway.

*WCIF = "Where Can I Find". It comes as term from Sims modding community, in which people look at screenshots with all those custom-made content like clothes, hair, cosmetics etc. and ask where they come from.

I come from the SIMS modding community (was an FA at TSR) and i don't remember that being a big thing, maybe because of forum formatting, or something else.. I have over 7000 posts here and have maybe asked where something was a couple of times and have helped users find items often. It would be nice to have a dedicated forum for it since most of the time I come to the commons for other things rather then to see what someone is looking for, especially when it has been asnwered several times already in other threads, but users don't want to take the time to find things themselves and just ask first.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

The forums are badly organized.  There's a lot of work for too few mods, who seem to be volunteers(?).   And on top of that we're all "artists", with our "artistic" temperaments.  There are WCIF posts in The Commons, Daz Studio Discussion and Product Suggestions, and probably ever other forum.   There are tons of Nuts'n'Bolts discussions in The Commons, and in Daz Studio Discussion.  And it goes on.  In short, in spite of the mods best efforts, the forums aren't serving the community as well as they could be, and a big part of the problem is the poor forum structure.

edited October 2019
    evacyn said:
    I wish we had a dedicated forum section for the 'what character/hair/etc is this' posts. It would make it easier to find answers to questions that were previously posted and there are enough of them to garner its own section of the forum.

But chances are people would still ask in The Commons, as per usual.   If more people asked Daz Studio questions and made posts about DS in the DS forum, for example,  then the Commons would be less crowded.  Have you noticed that you rarely get a Bryce or Carrara question asked in the Commons.  I don't say never, because you do get the odd one or two, but in the main Brcye and Carrara people prefer to use their own forum,  whereas Daz Studio people like to sprawl everywhere.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2019
    Chohole said:
    evacyn said:

But chances are people would still ask in The Commons, as per usual.   If more people asked Daz Studio questions and made posts about DS in the DS forum, for example,  then the Commons would be less crowded.  Have you noticed that you rarely get a Bryce or Carrara question asked in the Commons.  I don't say never, because you do get the odd one or two, but in the main Brcye and Carrara people prefer to use their own forum,  whereas Daz Studio people like to sprawl everywhere.

• I don't think many DAZ studio users realize DAZ is a company not a software
    • most of them don't know Carrara and Bryce exist
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • E-ArkhamE-Arkham Posts: 733

Just the ability to narrow searches down to one specific sub-forum or even keywords in titles only would help a ridiculous amount.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

In defense of 'What is this..." threads, there was one that turned into an incredible instruction manual on three (?) different techniques if I remember correctly.

I see the what I call 'comedy' threads and just jump over them. Occasionally, jump to the end so I don't show the needing to be looked at. But, at times, I have seen folks post things that catch my interest and I learn something new. But, I have a fear of falling into rabbit holes, no matter the forum, be it DAZ, Star Trek, Buffy, or X-men. Hours disappear with little constructive done on my part.

And then there are the highly technical threads that are so over my head I don't have a clue what folks are writing about. Brain freeze.

Mary

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,460

I think things would be much improved if there were a category called "1000+ Comments" and every thread with over 1000 comments were moved there. Then all of the "my hot dog is too red" and "thread killer" whatever threads could battle it out amongst themselves there while the person, trying to find out what hat some Manga white girl is wearing, would have that thread remain visible just a little bit longer. And at least everybody would get new threads showing up. I realize there are actually relevant subjects that generate more than 1000 comments but if that much has been said about it, it's probably time for a new thread about that subject anyway.

the only only issue I have with the complaint thread and the handful of regulars who post in it are the only ones who can answers this

why oh why in gods name do you keep quoting the person before you?????

like who else is talking to you guys

the fact it breaks the forum search

• One thing I would like to know are all moderators paid by DAZ or are you volunteers ? hopefully paid !

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153
    NylonGirl said:

I think things would be much improved if there were a category called "1000+ Comments" and every thread with over 1000 comments were moved there. Then all of the "my hot dog is too red" and "thread killer" whatever threads could battle it out amongst themselves there while the person, trying to find out what hat some Manga white girl is wearing, would have that thread remain visible just a little bit longer. And at least everybody would get new threads showing up. I realize there are actually relevant subjects that generate more than 1000 comments but if that much has been said about it, it's probably time for a new thread about that subject anyway.

I was sort of wondering if that might be an option as well.  There are threads however such as Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released  with 2.2K replies that are still amazingly about 99+% LAMH topics.  Perhaps some other threads as well so not sure if it would be fair to throw them in with the others just based on numbers.

One thing I would like to know are all moderators paid by DAZ or are you volunteers ? hopefully paid !

moderation is voluntary    The arm up the back was just to help me move along up to mod level

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,091

Can I hide this thread? ;P

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078
    3WC said:

Can I hide this thread? ;P

With the above script, you can hide any thread on the forum--even this one.

• Chohole said:

One thing I would like to know are all moderators paid by DAZ or are you volunteers ? hopefully paid !

moderation is voluntary    The arm up the back was just to help me move along up to mod level

Thanks for the Info Chohole, I just assumed you were paid, due to the huge amount of time you would have to put in. So hats off to you mods !

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited October 2019
    Doc Acme said:

I was sort of wondering if that might be an option as well.  There are threads however such as Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released  with 2.2K replies 

LOL- NO thread has thousands of REPLIES. Threads are only 100 pages long!   Those numbers are VIEWS AND POSTS @docacme and @nylongirl

Post edited by Novica on