Changing settings while rendering

SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

So you know how you can click the little tab on the left side of the render window and change some settings on the fly?  It's nice, except when it's not.  

For anyone who doesn't, there's a super-secret hidden tab in the middle of the left edge of the render window.  It's probably hidden so that people don't mess with it and come here complaining about how dumb it is on the forums.

Dumb window

The problem is that you can also change settings that will cancel your render in progress without letting you know that small detail, particularly the Progressive Rendering settings.  If changing something will cancel your render, then those settings shouldn't be accessible the same way as settings that won't.  If I need to cancel my render to make a change, the first thing that should happen is that Daz asks me "Do you want to cancel this render?", the same way you are asked when you close a render window. 

There may, and possibly may not be a good reason why adding time or samples to your render means it has to start over again, but it's kind of not obvious.  I get that you can't change, for example the size of your render window without starting over.  That would be an obvious thing.  And that's a thing you can't change on the fly, obviously.   But when something is not obvious, and doing it wastes your time, then it shouldn't be something you can mess with in the middle of a render.  I mean it's obvious to me, but it obviously wasn't obvious to whoever designed the rendering window interface.

I'm obviously annoyed and broken heart.

Clipboard01.jpg
459 x 1275 - 41K
Post edited by Sevrin on