External Graphics Card Solution

Hi,

I have searched the forums a little but can't see this question anywhere.

Since Apple and NVIDIA hate each other, I am out in the cold with no more CUDA support on my iMac for DAZ, WHICH SUCKS!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a solution for this?

I have looked around on the net but can't really see anything external.

Please don't respond with get a Windows system.

Preferably I would like an external card setup that works on both as I have both (laptop has AMD though)

Comments

• Honestly, a simple Windows box with an nVidia GPU would probably be cheaper than an external GPU for the mac, plus you could leave it working while you worked on other stuff with the Mac. The issue has ben discussed before and as I understand it the main issue is the complete lack of nVidia drivers in current versions on the Mac OS - if you have an older version, and aren't planning to update, it may be possible.

• shaneseymourstudioshaneseymourstudio Posts: 383
    edited October 2019

**EDIT: I just read up on this issue and realize now the actual issue with the OS support you mentioned. I wonder if you could install a VM and use Windows from that with eGPU to workaround...**

I used Akitio Node Plus with a 2080ti on a Windows laptop that worked well. I am not sure if it is the same with current release of Daz, this was beginning of the year on one of the 4.11 betas, but using it this way also did not result in any loss of memory on the card to Windows WDDM drivers that usually reserve 2GB or so. I am not sure what the drivers are like with Mac OS, unfortunately, but it may not be an issue like it is on Windows, just an added bonus I discovered while using it. I had thunderbolt on the laptop so it was no issue there for the throughput and the speed was nice. The good thing with the Akitio or other solutions for egpu enclosures, is that you can easily recoup most of the value selling if you no longer need. I sold mine and got nearly all my money spent back when I built my PC.

Post edited by shaneseymourstudio on
  • If your Mac has MacOS High Sierra or Catalina you have no option for the Mac. There is no driver and no way to get one.