The "Animators Assemble!" thread for Daz animation WIPs, clips, and tips

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,824
    Ivy said:

I am guessing we can't embeded vimeo videos anymore sad

you can but Chrome and Safari and possibly others won't show them

I think some browsers still do

• Thanks, Auroratrek, for taking a look and commenting.  I do very many small clips to try out things but those I linked to were a few that I put on YouTube for one reason or other - mostly to add to a forum discussion.  You, on the other hand, are extremely accomplished,  if I'm identifying you correctly from animations I've seen on the web.  So it's kind of you to even give my stuff the time of day.  I've yet to do anything that I'd be proud of.

I should have added to my long post that Iclone figures can be exported with motion from Iclone via 3dXchange Pipeline - as you showed and as Wendy has shown many times over.  I don't have that so I use CC3 Pipeline instead.

Great animation Ivy - you too have entertained us from a long time back and have shown what can be done.  The bit I liked best was the ghostly ballroom dancers - very nice touch.

@ Robinson.  It's great if you can use DAZ Studio for animation.  It has the puppeteer tool also - as has Carrara.  Ivy makes great use of Studio.  As for Iclone, animation isn't limited to attaching pre-made motions (in case you may think so, I wasn't sure).  There are different tools to edit poses, to lock parts of the body, to mix motions and to record variations in walks and facial expressions in real time while using the mouse.  These recorded motions can be saved to the library for re-use.

To others who posted their work - sorry I haven't had time to give this thread the attention it deserves - I hope to get a chance to give your work a good look and properly read the comments.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,824

in iClone the motion editor is your friend for manual posing

• Ivy said:

Happy Halloween

Black Stone Haunted Castle II

Very fun--makes me think of Disney's Haunted Mansion! (And I bookmarked it since I may "borrow" a number of these props...wink"

• Thanks, Auroratrek, for taking a look and commenting.  I do very many small clips to try out things but those I linked to were a few that I put on YouTube for one reason or other - mostly to add to a forum discussion.  You, on the other hand, are extremely accomplished,  if I'm identifying you correctly from animations I've seen on the web.  So it's kind of you to even give my stuff the time of day.  I've yet to do anything that I'd be proud of.

Thank you. But, hey, my first animation was a 5-second clip of M3 walking through an imported background I made in Strata Studio Pro, but right away it occurred to me--maybe because I was working in video--that an animated movie (or any movie) is just a bunch of clips strung together, so I went for it, and learned a lot along the way just by doing. I mean, I can wince at some of the stuff in my first Aurora episode, but my knowledge and the technology grew over time, and I feel by the second episode I pulled off some pretty decent scenes. That said, with my new machine and tools, I'm hoping my new project will be even better--already it's presented new challenges and opportunities for more sophisticated scenes, and I look forward to trying to tackle them. The great thing about creative endeavors is that everything you do is practice for the next one.

• AuroratrekAuroratrek Posts: 201
    edited October 2019
    Ivy said:

Testing it. This seems to have worked(?)

Post edited by Auroratrek on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited October 2019
    Ivy said:

Youtube I have no propblem with it was vimeo, which I never had problems embedding vimeo videos until now, so i am wondering if its something i changed like a browser settings, I am using firefox latest version too.

Post edited by Ivy on

Take a ride on the ghost train

• Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Definitely captures the classic haunted house ride vibe!

• heisdaveheisdave Posts: 128

Hi

I am using Animate2 to animate scene with a character. I configured the character to walk across the  the viewport from right to left, but something wierd happens with the camera. When the charcter reaches the camera's midpoint the camea jerks and it looks like  the midpoint tries to line up with  the charcater's pelvis. The camera should remain fixed.  I locked the camera's X Y and Z translate parameters in place, but the camera still jerks a bit. The camera is unparented. Anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Thanks

click on your camera and take a look along your timeline to make sure you have not accidently put a keyframe in the timleine for the camera, that would be the only thing i could think of, if you do not have the camera parented or set up on a dolly  you must have accidently put in a keyframe somewhere along the timeline.   other wise the camera should not move at all unless you keyframe it too, and if you can't find the keyframe causing the camera jump then create a new camera to replace the problem one. and see if it still happens 

I hope that helps

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330

Great fluidity of action on this.  Well done.

Great fluidity of action on this.  Well done.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330
    Ivy said:

Very cool. The pacing was spot on to what I remember rides like that being. Good spooky scares without being over the top.  Im going to show this to my kids when they get home from school.

Ivy said:

Very cool. The pacing was spot on to what I remember rides like that being. Good spooky scares without being over the top.  Im going to show this to my kids when they get home from school.

smiley

another Halloween one,

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited October 2019

Great thread Tim!!

Here are two ,previously unpublished, short clips from my animated film.
    Be sure to switch the quality to HD with the little gear icon on the lower right or just download it for offline playback on the upper right.

"settlements"...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W9PBez1oA2NaYzjyu3hy2KolAnVggsOs

"Ego's demise">>>possible spoilers!!<<<
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=13feNf92vx2eIEwbbHImN892coQodhpMl

GALACTUS-BATTLE-ARMORED-20APR0000.jpg
    636 x 720 - 201K
    Post edited by wolf359 on

Some notes:

My animation pipeline is essentially identical the the OP of this thread ( Auroratrek).

Major "base layer" body motion in Iclone pro and retargeted to Daz figures ( G1,2,3 in my case) with 3D exchange.

BVH exported to Daz studio for final tweaking with graphMate
    facial animation and lipsincing with either mimic pro 3 or "mimic live" for Genesis 3.

FYI owners of more than one computer can use Mimic live with pre-recorded audio as explained here:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/115371/for-my-fellow-animators-using-mimic-live.

Final costuming and hair &Export .obj/MDD for final lighting and render in Maxon C4D.

For those perhaps wondering why Auroratrek and myself are not rendering our films in the mighty Iclone pro and skipping all of the retargeting labor& exporting. I can say for myself that Iclone ,Like Daz studio is HORRIBLE at large complex scene managment.

That "settlements" clip featured many stonemason and older "Sanctum art" sci fi sets imported to C4D with a "split by group" option

This means a stonemason set like the "Nova" or "Urban Future" with have often  hundreds of separated( but fully textured) parts, giving me the option to animate doors opening, move/remove walls& ceilings etc.

This is not a viable option with iclone or Daz studiothus I need a true Full 3DCC package for final assembly and rendering.

Also I am a Daz content creator completely self sufficient to support my preferred Genesis generations(1,2,3,) indefinately with custom clothing ,morphs adn props

I have lightwave3D 2015 and of course Blender 2.8.After "Galactus rising",I intend to migrate away from OSX& Maxon C4D( for film rendering) as it is installed on my ancient "Dead sea scrolls Macintosh"  angry
     and Lightwave and Blender are on my Newest win10 PC .
    ( I own 2 PC's and a mac)

My obj/MDD pipeline is transferrable to both lightwave or blender after some "retooling" and further education.

Great info @wolf359   Thanks for sharing your workflow :)  

edited October 2019

Another Halloween animation I did

Monster

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Nice work Christophe.. good to see somebody else using motionbuilder to daz.  I use something similar, but resort to Marmoset Toolbag for rendering (I'm too impatient to wait for Studio to render), but I have a whole pipeline working daz - mobu- daz for both facial and body mocap

Here's a sample from my vimeo page https://vimeo.com/240535535

and some more https://vimeo.com/showcase/5150493  mostly facial mocap tests, and some other projects here and there.

one of my first Halloween Animations :)

• Here's one of my first forays into mocap, around 11 years ago, done in Poser.. I believe some of it was done in Motionbuilder (the tail and body), while the rest was done with mimic and rendered in poser

https://www.facebook.com/bryan.steagall/videos/32403487489/

Here's one of my first forays into mocap, around 11 years ago, done in Poser.. I believe some of it was done in Motionbuilder (the tail and body), while the rest was done with mimic and rendered in poser

https://www.facebook.com/bryan.steagall/videos/32403487489/

I don't do facebook  and your video requires a facebook login.sad

• Hi Ivy,,

Here it is on youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-oprSBSp-8  I had forgotten I even had an account there!

edited October 2019

Thanks Bryan for the link I just don't do facebook its bad enough I use google for my android..lol 

, that animation was very cute and you did a very good job on your mouse. Critters are so hard to animate.

I attempted a couple of mouse animations . not as good as yours though

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Thank you Ivy!  They do have their challenges.  You totally amaze me by the sheer quantity of animations that you produce

edited October 2019

Thank you Ivy!  They do have their challenges.  You totally amaze me by the sheer quantity of animations that you produce

Your welcome, and thank you as well. :)

This is the second mouse one i did ,  cats have their challenges as well. lol

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Has anyone been doing any tests on bringing full scenes into Unreal engine for render?  On the professional side, a lot of production is migrating over to UE, now that they have particles, cloth, destruction, lighting and many other features geared towards this (for example, this demo for mouseguard, rendered in realtime in ue4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yvf4pNpDBM (this demo is absolutely stunning, sadly the feature will never see the light of day)

My tests have been frustrating at best, characters and animation come in fine, but the environments from daz simply won't light well due to the UV mapping that UE requires for correct lighting, requiring a lot of tweaking at best, and a totall revamp of UV's at worst.  Unfortunately I don't have this skill. I wished some of the more complex environments would come with this option. (UV's for UE4)

I use it right now primarily for real time animation of characters driven by mocap (for presentations for example), and occasionally with pre-recorded animation, but resort to native UE environments purchased from their store.(which are normally around the same cost as daz environments)

Aside from that though, I can see a lot of benefits in UE, all integrated in one package (although the learning curve is quite high), one of the most important ones, is that for most (especially those of us that don't make games and would only use if for animation) it is free.  Most of us who do animation already have machines capable of running it (except maybe for RTX features)

Curious to see others thoughts on the matter

Has anyone been doing any tests on bringing full scenes into Unreal engine for render?  On the professional side, a lot of production is migrating over to UE, now that they have particles, cloth, destruction, lighting and many other features geared towards this (for example, this demo for mouseguard, rendered in realtime in ue4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yvf4pNpDBM (this demo is absolutely stunning, sadly the feature will never see the light of day)

My tests have been frustrating at best, characters and animation come in fine, but the environments from daz simply won't light well due to the UV mapping that UE requires for correct lighting, requiring a lot of tweaking at best, and a totall revamp of UV's at worst.  Unfortunately I don't have this skill. I wished some of the more complex environments would come with this option. (UV's for UE4)

I use it right now primarily for real time animation of characters driven by mocap (for presentations for example), and occasionally with pre-recorded animation, but resort to native UE environments purchased from their store.(which are normally around the same cost as daz environments)

Aside from that though, I can see a lot of benefits in UE, all integrated in one package (although the learning curve is quite high), one of the most important ones, is that for most (especially those of us that don't make games and would only use if for animation) it is free.  Most of us who do animation already have machines capable of running it (except maybe for RTX features)

Curious to see others thoughts on the matter

Hi Bryan, Some people in the Iclone community have adopted Unity or Unreal4 as their final render environment. despite the amazing showcase work we have seen in Unity & UE4 I find I need a full 3DCC application for my final render environment because of the complexity of my environment sets. I find game engines impose way too many restrictions on the types of often dense environments that my animated characters populate. I need to have access to my modeling tools and the ability to use cloth and fluid simulation and send my my camera& lighting Data to After Effects for compositing etc.. I am currently experimenting with replacement options for my ancient Maxon C4D and it is down to Lightwave3D or Blender 2.8 A game engine simply will not suffice for my needs.
  • &lt;iframe width="560" height="315" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;

I wasn't sure if I'd get it completed by today, but I just got my animated short horror film rendered out and sound completed! Happy Halloween!