Plushies cause DS to crash

Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 727

I try to open the LLF Plushies (ex. Heff - https://www.daz3d.com/plushies-heff), and right after the figure loads... Daz Studio crashes. And I can't figure out why, even after looking at the recent strings of the Log file:

2019-10-08 06:11:12.306 Importing File...
2019-10-08 06:11:12.308 Importing Heff.cr2 ...
2019-10-08 06:11:12.395 Reading Heff_Elephant.OBJ
2019-10-08 06:11:12.608 Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 195 in /Volumes/My Book for Mac/Fin's Things/My Daz 3D Library/Runtime/Libraries/Character/Plushies/Heff.cr2
2019-10-08 06:11:12.624 Warning: Wrong type of node for joint parameter on line 213 in /Volumes/My Book for Mac/Fin's Things/My Daz 3D Library/Runtime/Libraries/Character/Plushies/Heff.cr2
2019-10-08 06:11:12.906 File imported in: 600.376 ms
2019-10-08 06:11:12.990 Loaded image Heff_Mask.jpg
2019-10-08 06:11:13.031 Imported file: /Volumes/My Book for Mac/Fin's Things/My Daz 3D Library/Runtime/Libraries/Character/Plushies/Heff.cr2

Clearly, it has something to do with the 'Wrong node for joint parameter on line 195/213', but what exactly, I'm not sure. The funny thing is that Boo-regard, another LLF Plushie I bought, loads up just fine and with no issues. I don't think it's worth it to get a refund (especially since Heff was only 0.32 cents in the BYOB), so I'd like to figure out what the issue is and how to solve it, if I can.

Oh yeah... Daz Studio 4.12 Beta, macOSX Mojave 14.14.5, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB, 32GB RAM. 

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

I can confirm that plushie Heff causes both 4.12 Beta and 4.12 General release to crash as soon as the plushie loads. This did not happen for me with earlier versions of Studio.

Have you put in a Tech Support ticket?

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I can confirm that plushie Heff causes both 4.12 Beta and 4.12 General release to crash as soon as the plushie loads. This did not happen for me with earlier versions of Studio.

Have you put in a Tech Support ticket?

Definitely sounds like something you need to use the Submit a Request option from the Help page. Looks like a product error that they need to fix.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

I'm still using 4.12.0.83 Beta and it just crashed when I tried to load Wolfie - so it isn't just the most recent 4.12 that crashes or Heff

• I'm just wondering what node issue is causing DS to crash upon loading these... it has to be maybe a leg joint, since Boo-regard loads up /w no issues and DS continues to run. Weird.

They are still useful figures, so this is a shame. But OTOH, they were made for Poser specifically ages ago, and LLF likely isn't going to do new versions any time soon, so I'd love to get them to work... somehow.

I'll file a help ticket when I'm home, too.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited October 2019

Been seeing those warnings with some Poser content since 4.9, so it's not anything new, what is new is the GIRL is hard crashing DS4.12, crashing so fast that nothing is added to the log, and it's happening with all three of her CR2s.

EDIT

On a hunch I made a copy of the GIRL.cr2, opened the copy in notepad ++ and deleted the IK settings in the file. It loaded without any issue, so check the plushie, chances are it's Poser IK settings don't agree with the new IK system in DS.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
  • Bejaymac said:

Been seeing those warnings with some Poser content since 4.9, so it's not anything new, what is new is the GIRL is hard crashing DS4.12, crashing so fast that nothing is added to the log, and it's happening with all three of her CR2s.

EDIT

On a hunch I made a copy of the GIRL.cr2, opened the copy in notepad ++ and deleted the IK settings in the file. It loaded without any issue, so check the plushie, chances are it's Poser IK settings don't agree with the new IK system in DS.

Interesting find! I didn't think about the IK update making things all wonky. 

i do wonder if this means any other older figures (like Cookie, LaRoo, etc) have the same crashing-DS-upon-loading effect... I'll have to try this out further.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

is a bit like what happens in Carrara with Genesis 3 & 8 by sounds

node names not matching bone names due to typos

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846

First the Warning messages, if you open the CR2 in a text editor, you will probably find that those warnings point to joint parameters under "actor BODY", "smoothScale" in the ones I've checked, now because there are no bones in BODY then there really shouldn't be any joint parameters in there.

Poser doesn't complain about them due to it being to dumb a program to realize they are even there, DS however has to drag the CR2 through an import plugin, so anything that isn't right is going to give the plugin issues.

Now the IK, the attached pic shows the problem area in "The GIRL", on the left you see the IK for her arms as it is in the CR2, the one on the right is the "fixed" version. IK is meant to link three or more bones together, in the case of an arm that's usually shoulder, arm and hand bones, guess what was missing, yep the shoulder bone. For the missing linkWeight I checked several Poser figures and their IK all showed the exact same linkWeight you see on the right of the image, so I just copied them.

IK_Chains.jpg
    580 x 383 - 127K
  • Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 727
    edited October 2019

So, I got a response from the Help Desk last night. I presume the delay was due to them needed to contact LLF, but the long/short is that yes, it has something to do with the IK from back in Ye Olde Poser Days not wanting to play nice with the updated IK in DS 4.12 (or is it the other way around?). They stated that LLF might update the products -empasis on might, I'd imagine she probably would rather focus on making new product than going back to old ones... would love to see a generic plushie that could morph into different kinds/uses geografts-, but OTOH, I believe this is something Daz is aware about for "legacy" figures in general (i.e. anything that isn't Gen 3/Gen 4 ), as there's a note of it in the Troubleshooting/Known Errors thread/post somewhere. 

In any case, they've changed the compatable software to Poser in the interim. 

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on
  • The issue is going to be fixed in a forthcoming build of DS:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_1_16

• cathan01_wwg1wgacathan01_wwg1wga Posts: 353
    edited October 2019
    Bejaymac said:

Was having a similar issue with certain Legacy Poser figures purchased from Rendo and a freebie from SCG. Sent in a help ticket, but DAZ3D understandably couldn't help with non-DAZ3D figures. Tried Bejaymac's workaround, and the figures load without issue on my Mac. Thank you so much.

Post edited by cathan01_wwg1wga on
  • jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 478
    Bejaymac said:

First the Warning messages, if you open the CR2 in a text editor, you will probably find that those warnings point to joint parameters under "actor BODY", "smoothScale" in the ones I've checked, now because there are no bones in BODY then there really shouldn't be any joint parameters in there.

Poser doesn't complain about them due to it being to dumb a program to realize they are even there, DS however has to drag the CR2 through an import plugin, so anything that isn't right is going to give the plugin issues.

Now the IK, the attached pic shows the problem area in "The GIRL", on the left you see the IK for her arms as it is in the CR2, the one on the right is the "fixed" version. IK is meant to link three or more bones together, in the case of an arm that's usually shoulder, arm and hand bones, guess what was missing, yep the shoulder bone. For the missing linkWeight I checked several Poser figures and their IK all showed the exact same linkWeight you see on the right of the image, so I just copied them.

Thank you so much for pointing me to this!  I don't know if it will work for everyone or if it's just me, but I was able to fix it by deleting the entire chain.

Thing is though, the file is saved in two different places.  I opened the version from the cloud folder in my personal user folder: Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud\1_24990\runtime\libraries\character\plushies.  I deleted the chain as shown in the attached pictures, saved, and voila!  the character loads without crashing.

Strangely enough, the version in the public folder remains unchanged and isn't giving me problems, so I left it alone.

Ricky cr filr.jpg
    950 x 579 - 107K
    ricky fixed.jpg
    1327 x 588 - 146K
  • The current Public Build has the fix for the crashing issue. https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

The current Public Build has the fix for the crashing issue. https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

Not everyone wants the 1.16 version, so it's nice to know there are ways to fix it without updating.

• CaitanyaRupaddCaitanyaRupadd Posts: 22
    edited November 2019

Did as instructed above for the Inky chains and it works great! So thanks ever so much for the info!

But now I have this problem with Daisy, Harley and Ricky - not sure how to fix that. The rest - Chloe, Nutters, Cheeky Monky, Heff, etc. work great.

Any Ideas?

Also fixed The Girl as instructed above and now my Boopsie works - yayayay!

Also found similar problems with Ichiro skater boy outfit - seems that I might want the Public build if it doesn't break anything else. As you can see I really do like my older LLF models and Capsces morphs!

Update - tried the public build and it works with the original installation - no editing required and fixes the foot issues shown below. So will see when it is incorporated into the next release.

daisy.png
    939 x 626 - 505K
    harley.png
    939 x 626 - 550K
    ricky.png
    939 x 626 - 545K
    Post edited by CaitanyaRupadd on

Did as instructed above for the Inky chains and it works great! So thanks ever so much for the info!

But now I have this problem with Daisy, Harley and Ricky - not sure how to fix that. The rest - Chloe, Nutters, Cheeky Monky, Heff, etc. work great.

Any Ideas?

Also fixed The Girl as instructed above and now my Boopsie works - yayayay!

Also found similar problems with Ichiro skater boy outfit - seems that I might want the Public build if it doesn't break anything else. As you can see I really do like my older LLF models and Capsces morphs!

Update - tried the public build and it works with the original installation - no editing required and fixes the foot issues shown below. So will see when it is incorporated into the next release.

What you have to do is select the foot.  Then go into the parameters pain.  Bring up the menu in the corner and select "show hidden properties."  that will show the hidden translation sliders.  All three are set at values other than zero, so all you have to do is zero them all out, and the foot will go back to where it belongs.

• Thanks jjmainor - that worked - so I went into the CR2 in Notepad++ and found the translateX xTran, translateY yTran, translateZ zTran under actor lFoot:1 and changed it to zeros and now it works like a charm

translateX.png
    292 x 313 - 10K
    ricky.png
    939 x 626 - 545K
    translateX Ricky after.png
    665 x 792 - 393K
  • Thank you so much!!!  Needing to use Tilly the duck today!!