Using Trim Sheets in DAZ Studio?

Hi all,

this might be a stupid question, but I couldn't find any hints on how to use Trim Sheets in DS. Either I'm missing something or I have to create an MDL allowing me to move/crop the texture on the object.

I tried to use Hexagon but the resulting UV map did move the basecolor only, displacement, etc. stayed where they are.

Just in case, here is a solid explanation why and how to use trimsheets: https://www.artstation.com/pixelmasher/blog/eodW/trim-sheet-tutorial-environment-art-101

I'd be grateful for any pointers.

TIA, Erik

Comments

• Daz Studio is not inherently a modeler. It is a compositor - things are made elsewhere and sertup into scene, lit and rendered. You can do a great many thing inside DS, but some things still remain the territory of dedicated modelers and image editors.

After skimming over this post on making/using trim sheets (https://polycount.com/discussion/144838/ue4-modular-building-set-breakdown)   It looks like primarily a method of setting up large scale architectural and environmental models to share one large texture map resource

So I would say this is something to handle in your modeler and uvmapping solution.  Create your mesh however you like, creatre your texture sheet resource, and then unwrap your mesh assgining the uv shells to the appropriate locaiton on your sheet.  Then when you set up in DS, you can set up the material drawing from that texture sheet on one surface and copy paste it wherever and if you have aligned your uvs correctly onto your resource it will do its thing and everything will render as you planned. Hopefully :)

However, it is possible to adjust the Tiling Offset on a given material in DS, to shift the textures around. This is seen mainly on Layered Image Editor (LIE) overlays, and other overlay methods  so the user can slide the detail they are adding to the prefferred location (tattoos, graffiti, etc etc)

LM

• That link doesn't give an immediate definition of trim sheets - my first thought was that they might be another name for Iray Section Planes but skimming the page I think not.

• yeah thats what I thought at first but it does seem to be a fancy term for 'sharing texture maps' in a specific way. It seems that game engines may have more specific tools for it but as far as I know in DS its mainly 'set the models uvs to share' and 'make adjustments in the shader as needed' for tinting and metallicity and so forth. 

But mind you I mostly make clothing for which this is not a really a thing, so I hadn't heard of it

LM

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

Texture Atlas

the little globe of the Earth icon