distance pic render?

Can you render a kind of distance pic like where the grey color level is the distance to the camera (eg for figures with clothes)?

Comments

• Yes, in Iray it's an option in the Canvasses sub-tab of the Advanced tab of Render Settings - just click the button to add a new canvas.

• chromchrom Posts: 254

Thank you it work after some adjustments /threads :)

Are there any information for these available canvases listed? I didn't find it.

(eg what is the difference of distance and depth?)

• I'm not aware of an itemised list, and I don't know what the differences are in that particular case.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2019

https://www.irayplugins.com/maya-doc/auxiliary_canvases_attributes_1.htm?ms=NQAAAABABHgD&st=MA%3D%3D&sct=MA%3D%3D&mw=MjQw

There's a tiny bit of extra information in the "Iray for Maya" documentation.

The 'Depth' is the traditional Z-Depth that most programs understand. Its the distance from the Z axis to the target.

The 'Distance' is measured from a point in the center of the camera, so it's radial, not flat like the z-depth.

Post edited by prixat on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited October 2019

From the Maya description, I would interpret it as follows.

Depth is how far from the camera the object is on the z-axis only. While Distance measures how far the object is in all 3 dimensions. If I'm correct in my interpretation, then Depth would be better for things like adding haze and fog while Distance might work better for manipulating the Depth of Field in post processing.

Iray-DepthVsDistanceCanvases.png
    569 x 709 - 60K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • chromchrom Posts: 254

Thank you both.

Now I understand the difference.