A bit of an issue with eyes using Face Transfer

jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693

Hello All,

I upgraded to Daz Studio Version 4.12.  I also just started to use the new Face Transfer app as well.  Now on one of the renders I did, I have noticed that sometimes something peculiar happens with the eyes.  They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, so please take a gander at the photo below:

If you notice the woman's eyes there is some kind of haze over them in which you cannot see the irises clearly.  Her eyes are supposed to be a greenish blue.   It seems to only happen when I do a Face Transfer and yet it doesn't happen all the time either.  Sometimes changing the eyes out helps, sometimes it doesn't. Yes I have tried other faces and the same thing happens every now and then.  I would like to know if anyone else experienced this issue and moreover, if there is a fix for it.

BTW, in case you are wondering, yes, that is Vanessa Williams.

Thank you,

Geo

VanessaWilliamsWCarBlkDress.png
1600 x 1280 - 3M
Post edited by Cris Palomino on

Comments

• I'm running into the same thing. I have DAZ 4.12 and just purchased Face Transfer. The eyes look fine when I look at the scene in Iray, but when I render in Iray, I get a very dark eyes. A regular G8 character in the same scene has no problem. So I know it's a Face Transfer issue.

I've looked in Surfaces, but I'm not sure what parameter(s) to modify.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

• jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693

I'm running into the same thing. I have DAZ 4.12 and just purchased Face Transfer. The eyes look fine when I look at the scene in Iray, but when I render in Iray, I get a very dark eyes. A regular G8 character in the same scene has no problem. So I know it's a Face Transfer issue.

I've looked in Surfaces, but I'm not sure what parameter(s) to modify.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, exactly.  The eyes start off dark, but then as it renders, they get this inexplicable haze over them and naturally you can't see the eye details.  With a standard G8 character the same eyes are fine.  Sometimes switching the eyes out works, but not always.   In this case, Vanessa has a distinct blusish-green pair of eyes and that is an identifying feature for her since it is rare to see an eye color like that on a person of color.

• I did some Surface comparisons between the EyeMoisture settings of standard G8 female and a G8 Female with a Face Transfer. The setting that causes the dark overlay is "Share Glossy Inputs". Make sure that this is OFF.

Another setting that needs to be changed is: Glossy Layered Weight - make sure this is 1.0.

I don't think that the following have a major impact, but I changed them anyway to make consistent with the G8 Female's eye moisture settings:

Base Color: 1.0 1.0 1.0

Glossy Color: .78 .78 .78

Gloss Color Effect: Scatter Only

Refraction Index: 1.33

Now my render has normal eyes! Hope this helps you as well!

Mike

• I did some Surface comparisons between the EyeMoisture settings of standard G8 female and a G8 Female with a Face Transfer. The setting that causes the dark overlay is "Share Glossy Inputs". Make sure that this is OFF.

Another setting that needs to be changed is: Glossy Layered Weight - make sure this is 1.0.

I don't think that the following have a major impact, but I changed them anyway to make consistent with the G8 Female's eye moisture settings:

Mike

I'll give that a try too, thanks.

I did some Surface comparisons between the EyeMoisture settings of standard G8 female and a G8 Female with a Face Transfer. The setting that causes the dark overlay is "Share Glossy Inputs". Make sure that this is OFF.

Mike

I'll try that out and see if I can get Vanessa's eyes back too.

Thanks!

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited October 2019

Face Transfer saves out its own copy of G8 and even though I applied a mat preset, it would not keep it on closing.

So for characters one may want to reuse alot, one can create a new morph to a NEW G8 figure [FT is loaded in the Viewport, transfer over the bridge to Hexagon, back in D/S remove FT and load in a Fresh G8, BASE resolution, then from Hexagon send the file back over the bridge to D/S and make the morph being sure to use an unique name] then apply a mat preset [made from that FT figure before deleting it from the scene], then apply the eye mat preset you want to use, then resave the entire mat preset. Remember to save the new morph too ;-)

End result is you still have the FT scene subset plus you would have a morph for use in any G8 figure as well as the mat presets.

n.b. always "reverse deformations" when making morphs for G3 and G8 figures.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Face Transfer saves out its own copy of G8 and even though I applied a mat preset, it would not keep it on closing.

So for characters one may want to reuse alot, one can create a new morph to a NEW G8 figure [FT is loaded in the Viewport, transfer over the bridge to Hexagon, back in D/S remove FT and load in a Fresh G8, BASE resolution, then from Hexagon send the file back over the bridge to D/S and make the morph being sure to use an unique name] then apply a mat preset [made from that FT figure before deleting it from the scene], then apply the eye mat preset you want to use, then resave the entire mat preset. Remember to save the new morph too ;-)

End result is you still have the FT scene subset plus you would have a morph for use in any G8 figure as well as the mat presets.

n.b. always "reverse deformations" when making morphs for G3 and G8 figures.

Wow, that seems like a lot of hoop jumping.  I DID buy into the unlimited save version of FaceTransfer, so that does save everything out.  So I hope I would be good there.

• I like making morphs ;-)

Yes Face Transfer is saving out the scene subset character and yes you can adjust the eyes during the one session. Unless I missed a step though when I closed it, upon closing I watched Face Transfer undo the mat preset and reapply its own. So I saved out mats and made a new morph seeing if it could be saved that way and yes it can. Just ideas, use it how you wish ;-)

I like making morphs ;-)

Yes Face Transfer is saving out the scene subset character and yes you can adjust the eyes during the one session. Unless I missed a step though when I closed it, upon closing I watched Face Transfer undo the mat preset and reapply its own. So I saved out mats and made a new morph seeing if it could be saved that way and yes it can. Just ideas, use it how you wish ;-)

If you save the face transfer you are working on, doesn't it save all of that too, so it can be recalled?   If not that is a glaring problem such as the case with the eyes.  The developers of Face Transfer should know about that.

• Ran Face Transfer again, images are numbered in order.

1 set up has to have content folder on one side open at the same time Face Transfer is.png
    1517 x 723 - 538K
    2 run Face Transfer.png
    1539 x 787 - 520K
    3 apply the mat and then save via Face Transfer.png
    1521 x 720 - 502K
    4 the dialogue.png
    323 x 482 - 27K
    5 alternative sounds like it will be making a mess.png
    320 x 555 - 31K
    6 see Eyes are back to the way Face Transfer HAD them.png
    1068 x 704 - 222K
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064

Face Transfer also creates dark and murky iris texture maps:
    g8fbaseeyes01_1007.jpg

I guess it largely depends on the photo, as you're not going to get good lighting on the eyes anyway in most cases.  I would suggest throwing them out and using your own.

It be awesome if FT could detect a person's eye color and substitute its own pre-made HD eyeball maps with 100% clarity, but that's wishful thinking.

edited October 2019

Ran Face Transfer again, images are numbered in order.

The fix that Spartan outlined above worked fine.  This is what Vanessa looks like now with that fix:

Now you can clearly see her eyes!

Dave230 said:

Face Transfer also creates dark and murky iris texture maps:
    g8fbaseeyes01_1007.jpg

I guess it largely depends on the photo, as you're not going to get good lighting on the eyes anyway in most cases.  I would suggest throwing them out and using your own.

It be awesome if FT could detect a person's eye color and substitute its own pre-made HD eyeball maps with 100% clarity, but that's wishful thinking.

Yes, I have noticed this too.  If you have good lighting on the eyes then it is not as bad.  However, as you pointed out as well, it is rare that you get good lighting on the eyes.  Substituting the eyes for another set in my Daz library worked most of the time, but sometimes it didn't.  I have used the fix that Spartan outlined above and that seemed to have done the trick.

Thank you all for chiming in on this.  I guess it should be brought to the attention of the devolpers and perhaps they might release a fix for the program. 

VanessaWilliamsWCarInBlkDress.png
    1600 x 1280 - 3M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Cesar SejourneCesar Sejourne Posts: 14
    edited December 2019

I did some Surface comparisons between the EyeMoisture settings of standard G8 female and a G8 Female with a Face Transfer. The setting that causes the dark overlay is "Share Glossy Inputs". Make sure that this is OFF.

Mike

Honesty, it's not realy perfect. But the bug is easy to corrige.

1) creat your character with face transfert and save it.

2) apply a skin of another caracter, the bug of the eye is automatic correct.

3) apply the original skin create by facetranfert (by surface > defaut templates, the textures are in the list, easy to find it). you can to apply the original eye without problem.

4) Be happy (i'm)

Post edited by Cesar Sejourne on
  • I had the same issue. Hazy eyes makes it seem strange, so I just swop it out for eyes I already have in my library.

Other issue I have is where the person's beard is black and clearly shows black in the viewport, but when I render it out, it is red in colour. Baffles the hell out of me.

• NEX-OSIRIUS,

I'm having the same reddening issue, it's everywhere there is black. The eyelashes and around the eyes, the eybrows are reddish, even the nostrils. The annoying thing is that the texture that is created shows no read at all, so I can't even fix it in photoshop. If anyone has a resolution for this, please help. Likeing the face transfer with the fix other than that.

Thanks!

• CELESRACELESRA Posts: 86
    edited May 2020

I haven't used it since the last time I posted here, and just want to update that the skin doesn't seem too bad when I tried using my own face, but the eyes... not sure what is up, but it doesn't work. It makes the eyes glassy still and while last time I could swop out the eyes, this time I could not, no matter what eye texture I applied. It had a darkness* if I had to describe it, to the eye texture that looked wrong. Almost like horror eyes now but it renders badly with white spots, and I can't actually replace the eyes any more, while previously I could. I left it for months now since my last post, is anything been done about this?

Edit- yesterday that happened(as stated above). Today I logged on and tried it again and much better! Except this time I used a different face and the results were interesting. I realised what the red was and it is the translucency. I think the program tries to match the colour to some degree, but it doesn't work properly. I adjusted a few values and managed to get the skin colour to my liking. So for now, I am almost going to say that Face transfer won't work as well with a photo, but for some reason, it works excellent with an existing 3D character as long as all the lines are there, and good lighting on the skin.

Post edited by CELESRA on

So far the above technique has been working to fix most problems.  But as of late, I have not been using Face Transfer as it takes away from the challenge of trying to morph a character into the proper shape.  So lately I only use it when I get stuck and no matter what I do I cannot recreate a particular actor's face.

Recently I have seen another issue crop up, but it may not be related to Face Transfer as it happened to one of my regular figures I use.   All of a sudden the character's Sclera's (eye whites) picked up this large black ring around the iris making them almost black.  Nothing would fix it either.  I tried loading up the character again and loading up the scene again.  I tried to replace the eye's and that didn't seem to work.   So I went on-line and was told to try this trick:

Open the Render Settings tab and go to Optimization and click on that.  At the bottom is a setting called "Instance Optimization".  Change it from auto to either "Speed" or "Memory", that removed the black ring around the eye.  

Later on I found out that I just happen to have a glitch with that scene setting.  I tried loading my character in a different scene and she was fine.  Yet, I was able to "save" the scene without having to redo it by adjusting that setting above.   I am curious if that might also fix the issue with the eyes using Face Transfer.  You could try it out and see what happens.

• Had issues with dark eyes recently and followed these guidelines. I found a single spotlight still had incomplete converged light specs. Switching back to just environment map without other light sources was better. Also, a good fix is to insert base G8F into the scene, and select the eye for that model, copy surface and paste on to the new face transfer model surface of the same name. I did that for all eye surfaces (except the socket), then once set back to default, I just applied the nearest material from another model.