No facial expressions or poses (DS 4.6 Advanced OSX, 64 bit)

crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi,

I haven't used DS in a while, and in starting it up, I find that I can't pose the characters' faces. I load the characters, select faces, and the only parameters available are translations, rotations, scaling . . . there's no open mouth, frown, etc.

Similarly, I can't load facial expression poses from the poses library-- eg I click on them, to no effect on the character.

Would greatly appreciate a tip or two as to what might be going wrong. All content installed by the Daz Installer system

cheers,

Croc.

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Which figure specifically are you looking at, and in your library, what is the exact name of the content thumbnail you are trying to apply?

I randomly choose Victoria 5, and I see if you go to the Parameters tab and click on Head (or on Pose Controls), I see morphs including "Mouth Open". There are other morphs found in the Shaping tab if you expand and click on Genesis > Head, for example.

• crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
    edited January 2014

Doing what I think is the same thing you're describing, also with V5 figure, I'm not seeing what you're seeing; I just see transforms, no morphs. When I use smartcontent tab to identify head poses which should fit the figure, and click on them, nothing happens.

V5Expression_Fail.jpg
    1200 x 752 - 206K
    V5Screenshot2.jpg
    1200 x 1028 - 214K
    Post edited by crocodilian on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

In your TOP image you have the FACE Surface selected from the Surface Tab. That will not ADD the pose to the Figure, you should have either JUST the Figure selected in the Scene Tab and then ADD the Pose or the Head selected to DIAL the pose to use once it is injected if it does not auto pose the figure.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Here is V5 in SCENE TAB head selected, in SMART Content pose added...

Capture-001.png
    1243 x 949 - 977K
    edited January 2014

Jaderail said:
    In your TOP image you have the FACE Surface selected from the Surface Tab. That will not ADD the pose to the Figure, you should have either JUST the Figure selected in the Scene Tab and then ADD the Pose or the Head selected to DIAL the pose to use once it is injected if it does not auto pose the figure.

OK, here I have the head selected, from the scene tab . . . I click on a head pose and nothing happens. I get the same result -- eg nothing-- when I select the whole figure.

Full body poses work fine. Its just the expressions that doesn't work . . . and I don't see any manual controls for them either. Its as if their morphs (if such a concept applies to DS -- I'm more familiar with Poser) didn't get loaded.

NB: I deleted V5 and reinstalled her, to see if that would make a difference-- it didn't.

thank you all very much for helping out with this, btw . . . greatly appreciated!

Croc

HeadSelected.jpg
    1200 x 805 - 162K
    edited December 1969

Let me try the Mega Mood pack. It will be a bit as I'm rendering at this moment, I will test them as soon as possible.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You may have a problem with the install of Genesis as there is no Pose Controls morphs visible with the head selected. The Pose Controls morphs are the base facial expression control morphs that are part of the base Genesis figure.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    You may have a problem with the install of Genesis as there is no Pose Controls morphs visible with the head selected. The Pose Controls morphs are the base facial expression control morphs that are part of the base Genesis figure.

This seems right to me.

What should I do about it?

I de-installed V5, reinstalled her, and no change. Shouldn't that have fixed it?

Thanks to all for their advice here!

• edited December 1969

Afternoon to Everyone...

Hope you do not mind if I jump in here..............but

I too am having serious issues since getting Genesis 2 - Victoria 6 - and I was told by
    another that I also need to purchase the Head and Body Morph set............so I just did.

I have used the "DIM" as needed.

All the files are in the Download folder.......I have done a search for any missing files.........I have
    Un-installed and re-downloaded several of the packages several times..............talk about extra time for this.

Sometimes Genesis 2 Loads up as "Bunch of Boxes"..................sometimes as an awesome figure.

However....................I do not have the ability to "morph the Head or Body" as I did only two months ago
    with my Old Gen" Characters.

It does not matter if I Load V6 onto Genesis................I still have No Morph ability.
    I know that I paid for it and that "DIM" says it is installed to the same Path.

I am frustrated.......................and I would be willing to buy a coffee for someone......;)
    who could offer an idea that would cure this ailment....................I cannot seem to understand
    why I cannot "Manually Download and Install these New Files"................as that often seemed
    to work in the ole' days.................for nagging issues.

Thanks for your help...........
    Just a Simple Man
    Outdoors

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You need to change your layout so you can have both the Scene pane and the Parameters open at the same time...that means you need one where they are on opposite sides of the screen.

Then post a screen shot of what shows on the Parameters pane, with the head selected in the Scene...

edited January 2014

mjc1016 said:
    You need to change your layout so you can have both the Scene pane and the Parameters open at the same time...that means you need one where they are on opposite sides of the screen.

Then post a screen shot of what shows on the Parameters pane, with the head selected in the Scene...

if that's directed at me, I posted screen shots showing this in posts #2 and #5 above. Its a Genesis-only problem for me. When I load V 4.2, all the morphs load correctly, and I can manipulate the face. All the expected morphs load, I can apply presets and poses, or pose the face directly. I can't do that when I load a Genesis figure

So its not a problem of not understanding the interface-- I can get this working fine with V4. For some reason, the morphs just aren't loading with Genesis.

V4FacialWorks.jpg
    1500 x 900 - 160K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

if that's directed at me, I posted screen shots showing this in posts #2 and #5 above. Its a Genesis-only problem for me. When I load V 4.2, all the morphs load correctly, and I can manipulate the face. All the expected morphs load, I can apply presets and poses, or pose the face directly. I can't do that when I load a Genesis figure

So its not a problem of not understanding the interface-- I can get this working fine with V4

In #2, you have the Face surface selected, not the Head...so, no pose controls will show up.

A screenshot showing both the scene and parameters, to see what part of Genesis is actually selected will be very helpful.

In #5, you have the Head selected in the Scene, but Smart Content showing...

edited January 2014

mjc1016 said:

Look at post #11 above. There I'm showing Vic 4.2. She's got all her facial morphs correctly loaded. I can manipulate the face either directly or through poses, no problem. So its not that I'm having problem selecting the head, or finding where the controls for it are-- there's no problem with this with V 4.2

Now I've attached a shot where I have V6 loaded. I've got the Scene pane and the Parameters open as you suggest. The head is selected. I can't manipulate the head, nor can I apply facial expression poses.

V6FacialPoses.jpg
    1200 x 791 - 152K
    ScenePaneandParameters.jpg
    1200 x 786 - 110K
    edited December 1969

Crocodilian's second image does show that the head is selected and it is that image that prompted my response. My screen shot shows the Pose Controls morphs that are part of the base Genesis figure, Genesis needs to be re-installed.

Capture-2.jpg
    388 x 691 - 47K
  • ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

If I may.

Deselect the head/face.

Select the entire figure.

Under Parameters, check for "actor" - there should be a series of base morphs included under "Actor," specifically under "head."

I'm not at my home machine now, so I can't take a screencap. I'll check this thread after work and will update with a screen shot when I do if the issue is still going on.

edited December 1969

When installing or re-installing content be aware that DIM is dimwitted, be sure that the location (or locations) it installs content to is a location mapped in Studio's Content Directory Manager.

ContentDirectoryManager.jpg
    459 x 753 - 70K
    DIMInstallation.jpg
    551 x 645 - 83K
    edited January 2014

jestmart said:
    Crocodilian's second image does show that the head is selected and it is that image that prompted my response. My screen shot shows the Pose Controls morphs that are part of the base Genesis figure, Genesis needs to be re-installed.

When installing or re-installing content be aware that DIM is dimwitted, be sure that the location (or locations) it installs content to is a location mapped in Studio’s Content Directory Manager.

I think you're right . . . I've attached a screengrab from my DIM (filter "Genesis") which files would you reinstall? Very good point about the DIM. Will give this a careful look over . . .

If I may.

Deselect the head/face.

Select the entire figure.

Under Parameters, check for "actor" - there should be a series of base morphs included under "Actor," specifically under "head."

I'm not at my home machine now, so I can't take a screencap. I'll check this thread after work and will update with a screen shot when I do if the issue is still going on.

@ Chronopunk.

attached screengrab shows this . . . the base morphs you refer to don't appear.

And a hearty "Thank you" to everyone who's helped out here! Much appreciated!

ActorV6.jpg
    1200 x 793 - 149K
    InstalledGenesisItems2.jpg
    1500 x 697 - 135K
  • ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

Crocodilian,

Based on what you're saying, I'd definitely suggest making sure your install paths are where they should be, and I might even go so far as to suggest reinstalling the entire library. Not an IDEAL solution, but a nuke-and-pave might be the best bet at this point. I had to do it once. It sucked. But it fixed the issue.

Attached is what I was hoping you'd find. I am not sorry for the psuedo-Miley behavior of Ms. Six, there. Had to do something to show what it could do.

maybe_this_might_help.jpg
    864 x 624 - 119K
    edited December 1969

Crocodilian,

Based on what you're saying, I'd definitely suggest making sure your install paths are where they should be, and I might even go so far as to suggest reinstalling the entire library. Not an IDEAL solution, but a nuke-and-pave might be the best bet at this point. I had to do it once. It sucked. But it fixed the issue.

Attached is what I was hoping you'd find. I am not sorry for the psuedo-Miley behavior of Ms. Six, there. Had to do something to show what it could do.

Thank you -- and everyone else who pitched in here.

The files are installed -- or DIM says they are anyway-- but stuff that's installed in the wrong place is as good as "not installed", and "nuke and pave" as you suggest makes the most sense.

• R LammR Lamm Posts: 2
    edited January 2014

I'm missing my expressions and posing tools as well. I'm using genesis, I had just moved to a new comp, and my library over (i think), and I can't figure out which item is missing. I thought these controls were in the evolution head and body morphs, which I have installed.

I have no toggles to make a fist and no expression controls when I used to have these items. I'm a bit stuck.

*edit* added a few more folders in content management, have my poses back.

Post edited by R Lamm on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I am really afraid the product may need other morph product.

because to add new expression , need to make new morph.dsf files.
    or offer as preset, which apply value and mix morphs which have been installed.

but I checked this product read me, and packaged file,
    there seems only dsa files, which may change value of other morph controller.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/13660/file_list

then there is no clear document, this product need which morph sets you need.
    it say just need Victoria5. but I do not know VIcotira5 has expression morphs already.

Victoria5 have MCMs which may adjust genesis expression morphs to fit well for Vicotria5.

I am afraid,, you may need genesis head morph or expression morph.
    did you get already?

if some one have same product, check dsa files. if can show us,
    which morph dsf file is needed to apply expression.

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

I am having the same problem: No expression morphs. (I can see plenty of other morphs)
    I have everything installed.
    (I can even find the morphs dsf files I am looking for in Content\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Base folder. And this Content folder IS listed in Edit->Preferences->Content Library->Content Directory Manager...)

But DS refuses to see those. How is this problem fixed?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,578
    edited December 1969

Antara said:
    I am having the same problem: No expression morphs. (I can see plenty of other morphs)
    I have everything installed.
    (I can even find the morphs dsf files I am looking for in Content\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Base folder. And this Content folder IS listed in Edit->Preferences->Content Library->Content Directory Manager...)

But DS refuses to see those. How is this problem fixed?

You did select the head and the looked in Parameters Pose Controls->Head->Expressions ?

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Totte, thank you!

I was searching the sidebar for substrings such as "smile" and not finding anything. Pose controls did have them, though! Thank you!