4.12 can not use the GPU

I try 4.12 in two computers and it can use the GPU to render, It can use CPU only, any way to solve?

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Update your Nvidia driver. Studio 4.12 requires Nvidia driver 430.86 or newer. Get your driver diretly from Nvidia. Don't depend on Windows update.

• I have a similar problem. It starts with my GPU (RTX2070) and then switches to CPU mode. Sometimes it manages to do a few frames before switching to CPU mode. My Nvidia driver is 436.48

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited October 2019

Since rtx uses optix to work, I'd suggest using studio drivers rather than game drivers. That's 431.86 actually. I do not have a rtx card myself but I did have issues with game drivers when using optix prime.

Post edited by Padone on
  • Thanks Padone !

Your advice has worked a treat. I wasn't even aware that there were actually "studio" drivers.

• PuddlesPuddles Posts: 74

I am having a similar problem with 4.12, my (Titan X) GPU only renders every-other frame with the GPU in an image sequence, the rest fall-back to CPU. I get this error in the log and wonder if it's related?

2019-09-29 15:25:08.774 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(305): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : The 'iray_optix_prime' scene option is no longer supported.

I am using the 436.30 Game Ready Drivers. Do I have to use the Studio Ready Drivers? If so, will Steam VR likely still work?

I am having a similar problem with 4.12, my (Titan X) GPU only renders every-other frame with the GPU in an image sequence, the rest fall-back to CPU. I get this error in the log and wonder if it's related?

2019-09-29 15:25:08.774 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(305): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : The 'iray_optix_prime' scene option is no longer supported.

I tried installing the Studio Drivers 431.86, but it failed and I got this message: https://gyazo.com/200e38cd7a3ba47099bc053552536693

puddles said:
    I tried installing the Studio Drivers 431.86, but it failed and I got this message: https://gyazo.com/200e38cd7a3ba47099bc053552536693

You need win 10, it doesn't work on win 7 or 8.

Padone said:
    puddles said:

I am running Win 10 with the latest updates.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

It goes to CPU after fitting the first frame of an animation on the GPU for me too unless well below my Card's VRAM limit, need a good gigabyte leeway

I cannot use the latest driver's however as anything after431.60 breaks iClone

but the minimum  specified one is below that

I have a 980ti no studio driver available only game ready

Windows 10

what seems to happen is the memory usage ramps up after the first frame

as I said, one frame I am good to go

its animation that's impossible unless a limited scene

before this build, same computer previous build AND Beta if it fit the first frame it would fit the rest.

• alienareaalienarea Posts: 507

I have issues with 4.12, Windows 10 64-Bit Home and Nvidia GTX 1060. Logged a Daz support ticket and it seems there's an issue with some Nvidia's and I was advised to switch back to 4.11

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    Padone said:

Since rtx uses optix to work,

This is incorrect. RTX GPUs have dedicated RTCores that operate INSTEAD of OptiX Prime. Non RTX cards running on RTX enabled software use OptiX Prime as a fallback method.

edited October 2019
    alienarea said:

I have issues with 4.12, Windows 10 64-Bit Home and Nvidia GTX 1060. Logged a Daz support ticket and it seems there's an issue with some Nvidia's and I was advised to switch back to 4.11

Nice if you kept the installers

I didn't as used DIM

often I do keep the zip but as luck has it this time I didn't 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    RayDAnt said:
    Padone said:

This is incorrect. RTX GPUs have dedicated RTCores that operate INSTEAD of OptiX Prime. Non RTX cards running on RTX enabled software use OptiX Prime as a fallback method.

Indeed I said optix, not optix prime. If you look at the iray log that's the difference between 4.11 and 4.12, where 4.11 may use optix prime, while 4.12 always uses optix. Then rtx cores are used via the optix api.

edited October 2019
    puddles said:
    Padone said:
    puddles said:

I am running Win 10 with the latest updates.

You have to check that you downloaded the correct driver for your os and your graphics card. The message you receive states that either the os or the card is wrong. If you're sure they're both right then there's something very odd.

Post edited by Padone on
    edited October 2019
    Padone said:
    RayDAnt said:
    Padone said:

Indeed I said optix, not optix prime. If you look at the iray log that's the difference between 4.11 and 4.12, where 4.11 may use optix prime, while 4.12 always uses optix. Then rtx cores are used via the optix api.

Yeah, I stand corrected. Although using "Studio" rather than "Game Ready" drivers isn't technically relevant in the long term to something like Optix functionality since they are just different release schedules of exactly the same underlying driver code base.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
    edited October 2019
    RayDAnt said:
    Padone said:
    RayDAnt said:
    Padone said:

Yeah, I stand corrected. Although using "Studio" rather than "Game Ready" drivers isn't technically relevant in the long term to something like Optix functionality since they are just different release schedules of exactly the same underlying driver code base.

I don't know .. I guess game ready drivers may have "optimizations" for games that may sometime harm the full optix functionality. I myself had cpu reversing in 4.11 with optix prime when using game drivers. Also I get 4.12 users solving cpu reversing by passing to studio drivers. So it seems something is not the same.

Post edited by Padone on
    edited October 2019
    Padone said:
    RayDAnt said:
    Padone said:
    RayDAnt said:
    Padone said:

I don't know .. I guess game ready drivers may have "optimizations" for games that may sometime harm the full optix functionality. I myself had cpu reversing with optix prime when using game drivers. Also I get iray users solving cpu reversing by passing to studio drivers. So it seems something is not the same.

"Studio" and "Game Ready" are nothing more than different release channels for the same Nvidia graphics driver. Just like how "General Release", "Public Build" and "Private Build"  are nothing more than different release channels for the same Daz 3D application: Daz Studio. The key (and only) difference between them is the amount of bug testing involved before being released on that channel. "Game Ready" driver releases happen any time new features or software support is deemed fully operational in Nvidia's underlying code base. "Studio" releases up to a given version number happen only after extensive testing has been done to insure that any new features or software support added hasn't broken existing functionality in an Nvidia-selected collection of design studio oriented apps (including Daz Studio.)

Hence the occasional instance of "Game Ready" drivers leading to problems in Daz Studio that "Studio" drivers seemingly fix or never exhibit in the first place. They're exactly the same piece of software from version number to version number. It's just that "Studio" releases only happen once new code has been validated by Nvidia not to have screwed existing things up.

RayDAnt said:

It's just that "Studio" releases only happen once new code has been validated by Nvidia not to have screwed existing things up.

Thank you for the nice explanation. It is not far from what I was guessing by experience.

yes iClone too can indeed use the latest studio driver just the game ready ones since 431.60 break it

but sadly no studio driver for my card

and I cannot get the previous DAZ studio builds back either so have to just wait

• Then should one use studio drivers for DS? I haven't installed 4.12 yet I'm still checking the forums on the stability of the new build. I'm a bit skiddish on updating right off I'm still using 4.11.

edited October 2019

Then should one use studio drivers for DS? I haven't installed 4.12 yet I'm still checking the forums on the stability of the new build. I'm a bit skiddish on updating right off I'm still using 4.11.

If you're strictly sticking to General Release builds of Daz Studio you're better off using Studio driver builds. If, however, you have a taste for experimentation and cutting edge features like RTX hardware and Daz Studio BETA builds you're gonna want Game Ready driver builds since a lot of that functionality is still very much a work-in-progress.

edited October 2019

I have contacted both DS and Nvidia support. It seems there might be a bug in the Nvidia Iray drivers where it fails to release GPU memory between frames 1 & 2, causing an out-of-memory error. By frame 3 it seems to have released the memory and so the cycle continues of GPU-CPU-GPU-CPU etc. when rendering an image sequence. I'll let you know if they have a fix. Apparently there is no difference between Game Ready or Studio drivers for this issue, but it does seem to affect large scenes.

Post edited by Puddles on
    puddles said:

It seems there might be a bug in the Nvidia Iray drivers where it fails to release GPU memory between frames 1 & 2, causing an out-of-memory error.

So do you mean that iray in 4.12 is actually broken until nvidia fixes the drivers ?

By the way may be I found something on your installation issue in the 431.86 release notes.

Damaged or Missing WMI Service Prevents NVIDIA Driver Installation
    Issue
    “Install failed” or “Install Failed, could not find compatible graphics hardware” message
    may appear during installation, even if the system has a compatible graphics card. This
    can occur when installing the NVIDIA driver or GeForce Experience software.
    Cause
    This issue could be the result of a corrupt WMI service on your system. The NVIDIA
    Installer requires the WMI service to properly install the driver or other NVIDIA
    software.
    Resolution
    You must repair the WMI service on your system in order to successfully install NVIDIA
    drivers. A future driver release will alert the user during installation that there is a
    problem with the WMI service on the system.

• The memory leak issue has been around a long time, it isn't new in 4.12

The memory leak issue has been around a long time, it isn't new in 4.12

It is for me, 4.11 worked fine I cannot stop swearing about not saving the zip from DIM downloads 

Padone said:
    puddles said:

"So do you mean that iray in 4.12 is actually broken until nvidia fixes the drivers ?"

@Padone - I would not go as far as to say that, as this bug may only apply under very specific circumstances, software and hardware etc. But the suggestion is to me is that there is a bug that relates to Iray not releasing memory quickly enough to avoid an 'out of memory' error when rendering large scene image sequences. With smaller scenes or for still images this is likely not an issue. I was told by Nvidia support that the issue is not relevant to if Studio or Game Ready drivers are being used. It does mean that 4.12 is broken for me (for animations) until there is a fix. A higher--level tech team at Nvidia is looking into it for me and I'll let you know what solution (if any) they are proposing.

Thanks for the info regarding WMI, I'll look into thatt.

• Well.... My system was working just fine when I switched to the studio drivers on Oct 2nd, but this last week with no changes to my system (that i know of) it's suddenly gone back to switching to CPU mode no matter how simple the image I'm trying to render. Once it drops to CPU mode it will not attempt to use GPU again until I restart Daz, At that point I may get 6 frames using gpu if i'm lucky before it goes belly up. This is getting really frustrating. I'm getting close to the point where I just give up and switch back to my old GTX970 card.