So how does one export G8M in Cr2 format?

Hi,

I used the built in exporter in DAZ STudio and ended up with a mess.  Not sure what happened but the figure when loaded was missing ALLOT of the geometry and was unusable.  

You ask why?  I ran across an old old program called 2nd Skin by Ralf Sesseler, some may remember.  I wanted to see if it would make a quick suit for G8M out of curiosity ... if not I'll delete the program... I haven't used that in YEARS but was just curious! 

Thanks so much

Richard 

Comments

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    Hi, Exporting to poser CR2 is not possible With G3/G8
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited September 2019

RE: loading G3/G8 in programs that can't load them.  Maybe use something similar.

Astute Carrara user Misty identified the issue with G3/G8 that caused the loading crashes.  She made character fixes available at [Renderosity] that other site that rhymes with monstrosity.  These G3 and G8 characters will load in Carrara, and then you can use the conforming clothing content, etc with them if you convert the items to blended weight first.  I load G3/G8 in Carrara to model items I want to make for them.  In some cases, I pose and render in Carrara as well.  

A similar partial solution might be possible for other programs such as Poser.  Only Misty would know what the required effort was.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited September 2019

OK, I got it sort of figured out..... FBX export, import into Poser, export as a CR2.  The rigging is shot but it's OK.  I was looking for a maniquin for the purpose of seeing if this older program can generate a 2nd skin.... 

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited September 2019

1) Load G8M
    2) Right Click on the scene tab
    3) Go to Edit/Rigging/Convert General Weight to Triax Weight
    4) Go to File/Export and select Poser CR2

I've done it with G3F and G8F (prior to dforce) so that I could run cloth simulations (in poser) and create jcms.  This is how I created the realistic cloth fold JCMs for the G3F Rebel Teen outfit and the G8F Impractical Adventure Girl set.

Post edited by JoeQuick on

I get confused.  So G8M is NOT Triax any longer but General and this is the issue with using the Cr2 export?  I thought that Poser supported General weight mapping? 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    RAMWolff said:

I get confused.  So G8M is NOT Triax any longer but General and this is the issue with using the Cr2 export?  I thought that Poser supported General weight mapping? 

No, G3 and G8 don't use TriAx mapping anymore, they use dual-quaternion skinning and general weight maps. 

Poser doesn't support dual quaternion skinning.

Ah, thanks for the clarification Leana!  :-) 

JoeQuick said:

1) Load G8M

I've done it with G3F and G8F (prior to dforce) so that I could run cloth simulations (in poser) and create jcms.  This is how I created the realistic cloth fold JCMs for the G3F Rebel Teen outfit and the G8F Impractical Adventure Girl set.

Perhaps it's this version of DAZ Studio (4.10X) that's causing this issue but this is the result.  

This is the result.png
    732 x 774 - 109K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

this is what end up with in carrara for g3f converted to triax, exported to cr2. 
    at least she doesnt crash carrara

g3f.JPG
    1049 x 710 - 89K

Yea, I think the best way is FBX so far.  I'm not sure if there was a step left out of Joe's way of doing it... 

does fbx give you the morphs and wm ?

No, just the basic shape.  It poses fine in Poser for the most part but in DAZ Studio... it's not so good.  You start to realize just how different the rigging and weight mapping between both programs!  

RAMWolff said:

No, just the basic shape.  It poses fine in Poser for the most part but in DAZ Studio... it's not so good.  You start to realize just how different the rigging and weight mapping between both programs!  

okay. thanks

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited September 2019
    RAMWolff said:
    JoeQuick said:

1) Load G8M

Perhaps it's this version of DAZ Studio (4.10X) that's causing this issue but this is the result.  

Something about that mess feels familiar.  

It's been a couple of years since I've needed to do this and I don't have poser installed anymore (so I can't troubleshoot).

What was the role of DSON in the process back in the day?  

How about converting to triax, saving a new copy of the figure to your library, an then loading it in poser with the dson importer?

Post edited by JoeQuick on

Hmmm, not tried that Joe.  Thank you! 

I had to go on YouTube and watch a vid on DSON as I've not used in in a long while either.  Seems like a pretty solid solution but as mentioned above that there seems to be some speculation as to if Genesis 8 will actually work in Poser once converted.  I'll check it out when I get a chance.  The video was quite informative!  

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    edited September 2019

On Renderosity Willdial has a thread about importing Genesis 8 into Poser 11. There's a free script he made that does much of the work, is it allowed to post a link here to the Rendo discussion? If not, it's in the Poser Forum over there, just Google Genesis 8 in Poser.

Adds: But yes, you must first convert to Triax before importing to Poser 11. There are more tutorials around on YouTube, but many of the SmithMicro ones have been taken down as they've sold Poser to Bondware -- Renderosity's owners. They're saying that eventually the tutorials will be reposted there but that's not much use when you need 'em now. :sigh:

Forgot to add: Make sure it's the Pro version of Poser 11 that you're using. You'll need to get the update that came out a couple days ago. Was free then since it's a bridge update that is necessary to keep Poser 11 and Poser Pro Game Developer running now that SM no longer has it on their activation servers. It turns Poser 11 or Game Developer into Poser Pro 11.2 . More about that also in the official Poser forum over at Rendo.

Post edited by Byrdie on
  • Genesis 3 and 8 can be approximated in Poser, as noted, but it is not an exact import as Poser doesn't currently have the needed feature set.

Yeah, you can get good results if you're lucky and know your way around Poser but it won't be an exact Genesis 3 or 8 that you end up with in terms of functionality. More like Genesis 2.5 from what I hear. Some of us are hopeful the next Poser version will get some of the things that will allow for better Genesis 3/8/etc. import but I doubt it. 

i'm curious if poser will experience the toenail bed problems we  seeing in carrara, the g8f fmb morphs miss 3 of her toes.  so weird it only affects 3 toes. 30 polygons

I did get it to work but the CR2 using the above mentioned YouTube video but the figure does have all of the morphs embedded so it takes a coons age to load.  The rigging is a total mess though so FBX wins in that arena as it's without morphs and bending works pretty well in Poser... not sure if the figure would take poses as I've not converted any of mine over to PZ2 format yet.  I did read on another forum that the rigging can be fixed but when I took the figure into the rigging room, again the morphs were a bane so that was another coons age to get there and then I was just too tired to keep going and closed the whole thing down and went to bed!  LOL 

does converting g3/g8 to triax let you use it in poser with the dson?

when was last update to poser dson?

is kinda weird to want it as a cr2,no wm at all, 

thanks

I sort of gave up for the time being.  What I'm hoping is now that 'Rosity owns Poser they will be more willing to work with DAZ 3D to get figures to properly work in Poser.  

From what I've been seeing in the forums over there, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. But it would be nice if we had that option, then Daz & Rendo would both win, imho.

Agreed!  

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    RAMWolff said:

I sort of gave up for the time being.  What I'm hoping is now that 'Rosity owns Poser they will be more willing to work with DAZ 3D to get figures to properly work in Poser.  

They have lafemme and now the hivewire figures bundled with the latest poser release. The don't need figures from daz.
    wolf359 said:
    RAMWolff said:

They have lafemme and now the hivewire figures bundled with the latest poser release. The don't need figures from daz.

cept dusk is a eunich

and no word on le homme

tho i guess if the storyis all about life on venus, who needs dudes

I'm still trying to find my way around those, thankfully Hivewire stuff comes with both Daz and Poser versions. But so far I have not gotten anywhere with LaFemme. Probably my own fault -- I've seen some very good renders using her. But I do not do very many pure female renders and have not got a big LaFemme closet like I do for Vicky. Why I have so much Vicky stuff if I don't do girly art, you ask? It's because I buy things I can use on my male/androgynous characters too. And so far, LaFemme just can't do that. Heck, I can get more use out of good ol' V4 in Poser if I'm not using Genesis 2. When there's a male counterpart for her and I can set the figures up to share just about everything like my V4 and M4 do I may consider switching to non-Daz people in Poser. Maybe. If I can ever get the hang of Poser 11 Pro. Gotta admit, much as I love Poser, that version just does not appeal the way my old faithful PoserPro 2014 does. And I've spent the last 2 years with Daz Studio and G3/G8, which do not require all the sledge-hammering I once had to do to use anything past V4. Horses for courses, I guess ... 

@Mystarra  -- Dusk has no bits, not even third party? Poor dude! sad

I made some for him but with the sales on the DS side I bowed out of the Dawn and Dusk game for the time being.  With the new Dawn coming I may try again but yea it's all mostly for Poser really.  Despite what Poser has I'm sure there are ALLOT of folks that would love to get DAZ figures into Poser!