Realistic textures for 3D Universe toon hairs?

PtropePtrope Posts: 679
edited December 1969 in The Commons

It's strange, but some of my favorite hair shapes are the ones that come with Jasmin, Amy, Kimberly, Sadie and Jason - they actually look like hairstyles that I would expect to see on people. The only problem with them is their toon textures. Are there any realistic textures that can be used on these meshes so that the styles can be used and still have a realistic render? Maybe with a bit of a transmap so the ends of the hair stands aren't solid, but retaining the overall volume of the hair groups?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited January 2014

The problem with the toon hairs is that it's pretty much a solid mass, so adding transmaps wouldn't give you the look you really want. Most of the other hairs can do this because they're layered, with an often opaque 'cap' covering the head. While you could probably texture it to give it a bit more realism, or even add bump maps, it certainly wouldn't be as workable as those designed for the job.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Usually hairdos come supplied with templates for texturing. You can make your own for your personal use (ask the vendor if he or she agrees that you alter the colors for your own use). If there's no template, ask the seller. I had to make my own for the gorgeous Rosalie Hair by RPublishing, who graciously agreed to let me cut out the strands, delete them and leave the framework to serve as a template. It depends on the vendor, I guess.

You could also try to use some textures as shaders, but they would need to be seamless and still the results would vary.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Most vendors will consent to modifying the product as long as it's for your own personal use and you are not claiming it as your own work.