Hello everyone!!

sindweller.kj13sindweller.kj13 Posts: 45
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello everyone!
This is my first time posting here since I am a complete newbie and I would like to ask you something.
I've been a long time follower of various artists and I finally started to consider joining the ranks as well.
I have a huge problem though.. I am still at an age where I do not have a job and I can't afford to drain my mom's wallet for a hobby so what I was wondering is: Are there any, decent things to start with, free things which I could get and work with because obviously, the free stuff that comes with daz studio installation is nowhere near enough.
I've searched the daz3d.com market and I couldn't really find anything free to use and I am not aware of any other place where I could search for stuff. I would like to mention however, that I could at least buy a model like victoria 4 which is something that caught my eye as well as Hexagon as a sculpting tool since I would like to make my own character so what I really would like to know.. if I were to buy the v4 as well as hexagon, I couldn't really, for a long time at least, afford to buy anything else - are there any free clothes scenes and so on that I could get and if so, where from?

Please, I would really want to know if it's worth bothering with this as a free hobby!
Thank you for checking this thread out :)

Comments

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684
    edited December 1969

ShareCG is an awesome site with lots of freebies.
    Also, the PC membership is on a high discount right now and that gives you free items and very cheap items.
    Perhaps a nice early birthday gift :)

http://www.daz3d.com/platinum-club

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I'll second ShareCG as a great place for some really nice freebies.

Also, if you have any questions about how to work with your new 3D goodies, be sure to post it here in the New Users forum, as there are a lot of really knowledgeable folk hanging out here on a regular basis who can help answer those questions. :coolsmile:

• sindweller.kj13sindweller.kj13 Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

I see, thank you for the quick replies, I'll have to decide on what to do :P

• McKinnanMcKinnan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Welcome sindweller.kj13 :-)

I'm new here too and I have to say, this is the Most Supportive Forum I've ever come across and yes... it's easy to get started with all the sales DAZ has. I have not tried anything at ShareCG but there is a TON of stuff there!.

The Platinum Club membership was my smartest purchase. It paid for itself very quickly.

Happy Rendering in the New Year!

edited December 1969

McKinnan said:
    Welcome sindweller.kj13 :-)

I'm new here too and I have to say, this is the Most Supportive Forum I've ever come across and yes... it's easy to get started with all the sales DAZ has. I have not tried anything at ShareCG but there is a TON of stuff there!.

The Platinum Club membership was my smartest purchase. It paid for itself very quickly.

Happy Rendering in the New Year!

So, McKinnan, if I were to get the Platinum Club membership, even as a complete newbie who's only looking to get started, it would be much better than the free stuff at ShareCG because after all, free stuff isn't always the best but I`d have those big price reductions on most stuff at daz store which in the long run, will prove much more useful, correct?

• RitaCelesteRitaCeleste Posts: 625
    edited January 2014

I'm new and kinda where you are. After looking around, I don't see anything that beats the platinum club for getting affordable stuff. I think hexagon looks easier than Blender. I think the MakeHuman models look pretty bad for art quality stuff. But Daz3d is doing more than anyone else to make it possible to do a lot with a small investment. I have to wait until I get some money to do the PC myself, but that's what I'm going to do. Genesis 2 base models are free with Daz Studio. Once I get the PC membership I'm going to get the morph packs for those and some things I really want. I'll just take my time and use those coupons! CG Share has some free morphs and stuff. Free is always good. Getting a figure or model whether its G1 G2 or V4 and the standard stuff like morphs, well for that its great to have a PC discount. I figure if I get the membership one month, and one good item a month with the coupon, and maybe a few cheap scenes and the occasional character or outfit, its not going to break me. But the PC discounts on morphs and things like The Girl or V4 will really help me out.

PS. Bryce 7 is very cheap, Hexagon is free I think, and Daz Studio is free right now. It has never been this affordable to get into it. Blender is another free modeling program. Gimp is a free photo editor you can use to edit textures and things instead of Photoshop. TwistedBrush is a cheaper paint program than Corel Painter. You can find a way to do this now without getting three jobs just to pay for software. And I would use the Daz models and morph packs and skip learning to model characters from scratch to start with. I'd go for modeling the outfits and extras and learning to morph the models like V4. A while ago this stuff was not something I could think about and now it seems like its doable.

Post edited by RitaCeleste on
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your input RitaCeleste! The more info I get, the more I want to try it out!
    Still not totally 100% sure but I`m getting there, few more inputs and I`ll probably just go for it ^^

• McKinnanMcKinnan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi sindweller and great post RitaCeleste. I agree with you on all points.

If you have installed DAZ 4.6 you know that you get enough things WITH the install to start playing around and figure out if this is something that brings you joy.

The thing I found as a newbie is it took me a little time to figure some things out. I.e. sometimes something that I wanted had another component that I needed. That second component was something I had to purchase. Then I'd get an image in mind that I wanted to do but I didn't have the right clothes for it. Things like this.

I have to admit… I did go a little crazy at first (all those $1.99 items!!) but I have no regrets. It got some creative juices flowing and DAZ has a 30 day return policy and they are good for it. It might take them some time to process the return, but it does get processed.

I personally didn't go the ShareCG side because I honestly didn't want to deal with the “where do I put these files in the database structure” issue that I felt sure would come up. I could be totally wrong on this so I’ll stand corrected if need be. I wanted things simple and with the DAZ Install Manager, it is.

I’ve returned some stuff I purchased in those early days, have figured out some artists that I really like and am much clearer on what I want to do with DAZ artistically.

I bought my PC membership for $40 bucks I think on sale. Worth every penny.

Hope this helps :-)

• devid.stone88devid.stone88 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

hi i m new

how are you Admin and friends its my first post

colorful4.jpg
    850 x 315 - 72K