January, 2014 Freebie Challenge - Chinese New Year

Comments

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

** crickets! **

:down:

edited December 1969

I know I am a bit confused about the theme this month. Not sure what to render. Since I am not from China, I do not understand what a Chinese new year is exactly. I do know about the animals, but nothing about the way to go about useing them. Could someone please explain what this is, and what to render. Maybe this will help some others get the theme.

:-)

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    ** crickets! **

:down:

Louie_and_the_Pie.jpg
    480 x 600 - 189K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    I know I am a bit confused about the theme this month. Not sure what to render. Since I am not from China, I do not understand what a Chinese new year is exactly. I do know about the animals, but nothing about the way to go about useing them. Could someone please explain what this is, and what to render. Maybe this will help some others get the theme.

Chinese New Year is kind of the same as the European New Year just different traditions. There are the Lion and Dragon dances, there are the fireworks, there is the beating of gongs and drums, there are the lucky notes given to loved ones. It is a winter celebration. There are associated traits with the given animal of the year. I am a horse I was born in the year of the horse. So if you go and look up the traits of a horse you would find that I am:
    "Cool but hot-blooded, hard-nosed but humble, impatient but extraordinarily tolerant, the Horse is above all defined by hard work and self-reliance. Although Horses work well in groups, they prefer to work by themselves and exhibit extraordinary levels of energy and concentration. They are good with their hands, but can be seen happily losing themselves in accomplishing any given task."
    So I could build a scene with a horse in harness and genesis dancing and fireworks in the background.
    There is lots of symbolism in the Chinese traditions. There are folk tales of the animals, of the new year. Just all sorts of stories that can be recreated. Or you can just devise a scene that has fireworks and the actual celebration with the parade and the celebrants. Throw in a scary dragon and you would meet the contest requirements.
    Hope this help music.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

All I was really looking for was the use of at least 1 of the animals represented by the Chinese Zodiac in the render.

I did not want to stifle anyone's creativity by having too many rules. I've tried to leave it as wide open as possible. Perhaps it is too open a concept?

Examples could be a musical ride with horses; roosters doing the chicken dance; someone throwing a frisbee for a dog.

Please do not feel restricted to a New Year theme.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:

Chinese New Year is kind of the same as the European New Year just different traditions. There are the Lion and Dragon dances, there are the fireworks, there is the beating of gongs and drums, there are the lucky notes given to loved ones. It is a winter celebration. There are associated traits with the given animal of the year. I am a horse I was born in the year of the horse. So if you go and look up the traits of a horse you would find that I am:
    "Cool but hot-blooded, hard-nosed but humble, impatient but extraordinarily tolerant, the Horse is above all defined by hard work and self-reliance. Although Horses work well in groups, they prefer to work by themselves and exhibit extraordinary levels of energy and concentration. They are good with their hands, but can be seen happily losing themselves in accomplishing any given task."
    So I could build a scene with a horse in harness and genesis dancing and fireworks in the background.
    There is lots of symbolism in the Chinese traditions. There are folk tales of the animals, of the new year. Just all sorts of stories that can be recreated. Or you can just devise a scene that has fireworks and the actual celebration with the parade and the celebrants. Throw in a scary dragon and you would meet the contest requirements.
    Hope this help music.

What do you mean..."I am a horse, I was born the year of the horse"?...how do you know what you are, and what is the year of the horse...I don't understand. Is that even important to a render I may do? What if I wanted to do a chicken, how do I know if I am a chicken or what a chicken's year is? How many years do the animals go back? 50-100? infinate? or just however many animals there are on the planet? How do they know all this or count all the animals in the world. Do I have to have a dragon in my render as it keeps getting mentioned? Do they have to be dancing? I am very confused so I will just hang out this one and try to help judge....lol.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:

Hope this help music.

What do you mean..."I am a horse, I was born the year of the horse"?...how do you know what you are, and what is the year of the horse...I don't understand. Is that even important to a render I may do? What if I wanted to do a chicken, how do I know if I am a chicken or what a chicken's year is? How many years do the animals go back? 50-100? infinate? or just however many animals there are on the planet? How do they know all this or count all the animals in the world. Do I have to have a dragon in my render as it keeps getting mentioned? Do they have to be dancing? I am very confused so I will just hang out this one and try to help judge....lol.

Here is a link to a Wikipedia article on the Chinese Zodiac. Maybe it will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_zodiac

I will gratefully accept your help as a judge.

And thank you also for getting DAZ to double the sponsorship on this month's GC's. We should have some happy winners this month.

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:

Hope this help music.

Tosses several pies at music for being so confused..... Then runs off laughing

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    music2u4u said:
    Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:

Hope this help music.

Tosses several pies at music for being so confused..... Then runs off laughing

Totally rofl @ Music. I am a chicken, so I guess I have to do a render of dancing chickens. (well it says I am a rooster, but I can't be one of them as I am female,) Hmm... I may have some ides there , but would probably be an NAE.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Please don't force us to report you for a TOS violation, chohole!

Let's see... I'm a dragon. Hmmmmm... Oh! That'll work!

edited December 1969

robkelk said:

What you mean if I did a render with Cock(eral)s and great tits you would report me? :roll:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    robkelk said:

What you mean if I did a render with Cock(eral)s and great tits you would report me? :roll:Well, if they were Songbird ReMix birds and you included the links, I'd have to... ;-P

edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    chohole said:
    robkelk said:

What you mean if I did a render with Cock(eral)s and great tits you would report me? :roll:

Well, if they were Songbird ReMix birds and you included the links, I'd have to... ;-P

The great tit is here http://www.daz3d.com/great-tit-songbird

And the cockeral is here http://www.lynescreations.com/lynesfree8.htm

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    robkelk said:
    chohole said:
    robkelk said:

Well, if they were Songbird ReMix birds and you included the links, I'd have to... ;-P

So the question becomes what do you get when you cross a tit with a cockerel? Oh my Cho!

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    chohole said:
    robkelk said:
    chohole said:
    robkelk said:

So the question becomes what do you get when you cross a tit with a cockerel? Oh my Cho!

I am sure you are all tempting me to cross the line with this render. Oh my, my mind is really going down some curvy paths here. Pulling it off is a completely different thing. :coolsmirk:

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098
    edited December 1969

There is a lot of information here! :-)

Dana

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    robkelk said:

Cho!...well I never!...but I always wanted to...hehehe.

I am chicken too...not A chicken, just chicken...so I guess I am afraid to render...lol.

** runs off after Jeeperz kackling! **

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    robkelk said:
    chohole said:
    robkelk said:

** Takes Cho's club away, bonks her on the head, then returns it, runs off laughing! **

:cheese:

edited January 2014

Alright you'ze guys...Louie has a pie in his hand and he is itching to throw it at someone, so be careful what you render!

Just a heads up.....SPLAT!.....oh well I got it!

ColdCocked2.jpg
    740 x 572 - 121K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

ROFL

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Alright you'ze guys...Louie has a pie in his hand and he is itching to throw it at someone, so be careful what you render!

:lol:

If that is an official entry I need your links. ;-P

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited January 2014

Dollygirl said:
    chohole said:
    robkelk said:
    chohole said:
    robkelk said:

so I'm not sure which is funnier, what I'm about to say or the fact that my ipad kept trying to autocorrect it and the words it came up with just made me laugh.anyway
    the answer is a cocetit silly

Post edited by jeeperz on
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

Hey! Wott da #@!#$!! Music! I autta...

edited December 1969

Hokay, dis is gittin' outta hand...

Louie_and_the_Rooster.jpg
    554 x 700 - 306K
    edited December 1969

One advantage of the cold weather is that you get ready frozen chicken

frozen_chicken.jpg
    900 x 675 - 331K
    edited December 1969

What's a New Year without a New Year's Eve Party?

No paid items, no "no count" items - everything's free! Items marked with an asterisk require registration.

Traditional girl:

* Aiko 3
    http://www.daz3d.com/free-3d-models-and-content/anime-star-fighter

MokoHair for Aiko 3
    http://web.archive.org/web/20061108015323/digitalbabes2.com/~yamato/Xinxin.html

* Qipao version 2 for Amy for Aiko 3
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/21817

Classy Shoes A3
    http://www.vincebagna.com/index.php/en/freebies/view.download/5/3
    (Note: Clicking on "Download Now" on this page takes you to a summary page. Clicking on "Download Now" on the second page starts the download.)

Modern girl:

Aiko 3
    (link listed above)

Fluffy Hair
    http://www.snowbyte.de/wp/?p=520

New Clothes [Knit & Skirt] SakuraSET
    http://web.archive.org/web/20061104000740/http://yokohama.cool.ne.jp/tomiya910/

mcjA3OTKBoots
    https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts2/mcja3otkboots

Dragon:

3Zi_KOTATSU
    http://sanzisannzi.blog83.fc2.com/blog-entry-153.html

Environment:

Brick Building Set PP2 and Obj Formats
    http://www.freewebs.com/mapps/downloads3.htm

* Disco Props (floor only)
    http://forum.runtimedna.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15

Two distant lights - one under the disco floor, one in front of and above the party.

New_Years_Party.png
    1200 x 675 - 994K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Disco Dragon!

Parrrrrty, parrrrty.

Dana

edited January 2014

DanaTA said:

Disco Dragon!

Parrrrrty, parrrrty.

Dana

Do tha Dragon Booty Pop!...lol.

Your links all check good robkelk, we will see what Kismet says.

edited January 2014

Hokay, dis is gittin' outta hand...

You know the old saying..."If the hat fits...wear it!"

Love that chinese KFC sign. The problem with Chinese is...you never really know what "it" or "they" are saying. It could be anything...lol.

looks like three words...could be "Finger licking good" or "Bite THIS chicken"....who knows!

We'll see what Dorsey says. He knows chinese.

Louie_and_the_Rooster.jpg
    554 x 700 - 306K
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    DanaTA said:

Disco Dragon!

Parrrrrty, parrrrty.

Dana

Do tha Dragon Booty Pop!...lol.