Smooth cylinder with square ends?

tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I am trying to use Hexagon to model a train engine.

I need a horizontal cylinder with a thickness of 0.1.
The cylinder has to be smooth, but with a closed off top.

The problem is that when I create a cylinder and smooth it, the top smooths also and I get something that resembes a bullet instead of a cylinder.

I have looked for tutorials, and asked around but no answers.
Thanks in advance for any feedback

Terry

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You need to use 'Edge around Edge' at the ends that you want to retain their shape.

Put the new edges (or even a single edge) as close a possible to the loop of edges at the end of the cylinder. When you smooth, there is only a very small polygon at that end, and smoothing will have no effect.

Have a look at Edge Tools in the manual, page 92 for information on how to use these tools

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

Use smoothing from Surface modeling tab (last icon on the right, looks like a ball with a cage around it) and activate Breaks. Than select lines where you wish to apply the breaks and it will be less rounded for that area. Pic 1, difference between top with breaks and bottom. Pic 2, end result.

Clip_41.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 383K
    Clip_40.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 340K
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 2013

Hello!

I recommend this tutorial: http://lightwiki.com/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling

It is not for Hexagon, but the topic is universal, not related to a special software and has a lot of information, especially for the things you want to achieve. Very worth reading!

Post edited by XoechZ on
  • tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone - that has solved the problem for me....

Terry

• BerBuzBerBuz Posts: 64
    edited December 1969

Yet another method
    • Remove the top (and bottom) faces
    • smooth the cylinder
    • apply the dynamic geometry (click on the lightning symbol)
    • use close/ all to build missing faces
    Face count will be lower than the other methods but you will get 2 flat convex n-gons (the kind that doesn’t creates rendering problems)
    Easier to do than to describe :-)

Bernard