What do I need to do to start developing Daz Studio Scripts?

What do I need to do to start developing Daz Studio Scripts?

I used to take classes in programming but it has been a while.  I was wondering which programming language does DS use for their scripts?  I know that Poser uses Python but what does DS use?  What else do I need to start up with scripts for DS?

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

DAZ Studio, your favourite editor, this link: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/start

You may begin scripting now.

• You don't need to use an external editor as DS has a built-in ScriptIDE pane, with debugging tools.

• Hello Miss Bad Wolf. I began learning DS Scripting at the beginning of July, but even as a former C++ programmer, it has taken me all month to become even moderately familiar with the API.

The path I took was to begin a project that would be useful to me, and one which would force me to dive into the API documentation. That project was a batch render script. Even though you can purchase several flavors of these in the DAZ Store, I don't like paying for things if I can build them myself. smiley

The API Reference page in the Document Center has a link to the Object Index page, and is always loaded in my browser. You use that constantly to look up docs on all the DS Scriipt classes. One of the things I had the most difficulty with was selecting a class and trying to figure out how to obtain a pointer to it. That's the way C++ folks think. But like most scripting languages, DS script doesn't use explicit pointers. So I had a hard time figuring out how to gain access to some of the interfaces.

Some classes are global, such as Scene. You only need to write Scene.someFunction() to access its members. Other class objects need to be constructed with a new statement, while still others need to be requested from other class objects. The latter proved to be the hardest for me because the documentation isn't always clear on how to aquire an interface.

But if you're like me, you'll regard it as a fun challenge. Be patient, ask questions in this forum when you get stumped, and above all, have fun with it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited July 2019

There are some scripting tutorial type products in the Daz store, but I don't own any and I don't know if they are any good.

Edit: I went to look for them and I can't find them now. Maybe they have been removed from the store. Winterbrose doesn't seem to be a vendor in the Daz Store anymore.

Post edited by barbult on
  • http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start is a good starting point, Rob covers a lot of featues and his scripts are well commented. Just remember, if you use one as a starting point, to give credit and a link as required by the CC 3 license.