A Very Sincere Question as a Beginner

Please don't take offense to this question. I am very interested in Daz and learning animation, 3d, vfx etc in general. 

Here's the deal... I'm an old fart who desperately wants to break into this stuff as a new career. I love vfx, graphics, animation, and so on. My question is this: since I'm an old fart, I'd like to use my time wisely. Would taking the time to learn Daz Studio be a good use of my time when learning from scratch? I guess what I mean is, I know that the industry typically uses products like Maya, Cinema4d, Houdini, etc etc. (Whatever... I dunno what's the flavor of the day. I've been wanting to do this since I was little salivating over Silicon Graphics (SGI)... Unfortunately, I didn't pursue my dream. Now I'm trying to make up for lost time.

So obviously I think Daz would be great for me to start because the price is right... but would I have to "start over" to learn some of the main products out there? Or perhaps another question is, could I get into the industry using soley Daz as my experience? Does it translate over?

Please help me with this question, and please don't view this as any sort of insult. I've been signed up with Daz for a LONG time... I just never had a chance to use it. But I'm hoping to now. 

(Plus, is it easy to learn Daz? remember, I'm a total noob.)

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited July 2019

Hi Tom, your not alone friend, many of us are retired old farts, delving into a new passion.  Time really reflects upon the individual, how much time they are willing to dedicate to 3D.  My suggestion is, as a newbie learn as much as you can, seek assistance, ask all the questions your heart desires.  With any software, individuals constantly continue to learn as software/products advance.  The fun for me was mainly in the learning process, interacting with other noobs, supporting, encourage, inspire one another.    

This link will be very helpful in assisting you to determine if 3D is right for you or not, truly helped me.  Welcome to the world of 3D, have fun friend smiley

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10835/somethings-to-consider-when-starting-to-learn-cg/p1

Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Well… From one old fart to another… it all depends.

How do you define "new career"?

There are a number of PAs, (vendors who make and sell content,) who started out as newbies with either Poser or Daz Studio, or both. There are a number of PAs who use Hexagon to model the products they sell, (and Hexagon is also free from Daz.) If your goal is to sell content for Daz Studio to DS users, learning Daz Studio is definitely a good first step.

However, if you're hoping to break into the professional market, perhaps land a job working for a company that works with and provides 3D graphics/animation for movie studios, you may get more useful answers in a forum that caters to those professionals. I think it's worth looking into, anyway.

You'll always be welcome in the Daz Studio community, regardless.

And as AJ2112 said, have fun!