How can this be done on a genesis figure...

UkyuuUkyuu Posts: 182

I am looking for a way/product/tutorial/whatever to add the bony excrescences just like this character has on a genesis figure.

maxresdefault.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 196K

Comments

• What's on the skin is just a texture - not sure if it's even using a normal map. If you can find a texture that matches up with that kind of thing, then you can apply it in the Layered Image Editor for the appropriate surface in Daz. Not sure if any products would match up with that, though.

The bits floating alongside the ears are just simple 3D objects with a texture on them. If you can get similar models with appropriate textures then you can just add them into your scene and make them children of the 'head' bone in your character, then position them where they need to be.

I'm assuming the stuff on the skin is what you're interested in, but either way it's very simple... it's just that you need to have the right textures/3d models, make them, or get someone else to make them for you.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100

Try a displacement map.

They're a rather neglected thing, because no one is quite sure how they work. The results look better than normal maps because displacement maps alter surface geometry using subdivision surfaces, so they produce essentially the same results as DAZ "HD" characters. 

• UkyuuUkyuu Posts: 182

Thank you for your answers. I can definitely try to find, or eventually even make, the textures and make use of both displacement & normal map for a polished look. However, I'm afraid that the horns on the side (which totally replace the ears, are far too difficult for me as I can't for the life of me, make such things. I've never successfully made anything in Hexagon, and I'll die before I have managed blender. I guess I'll use the exoskeleton only. Removing the ears without the product to do so... seems difficult too.

• MazhMazh Posts: 476

If you talking about Genesis (1), there is this product to make the ears disappear, if you're able to place the horns just in place of the ear, this will work.

https://www.daz3d.com/wicked-fairytale-morphs

You can even turn the limits off for the "Ears Size Morph" of the Daz Head Morph product and scale the ears down.

For the horns you could use something like this:

https://www.daz3d.com/seven-demon-horns , or horns from the Creature Creator Add-on.

Here's a pic, Genesis (1), ears scaled down, horns from G2 Creature Creator:

Horns.jpg
    600 x 800 - 350K

Oh. With some Dformers, I could make these horns to look like the horns on the girl I showed! I wonder if they work on G2 & G8 too, that would be wonderful!

• MazhMazh Posts: 476

I don't own the horns in the link, but these are separate right and left horns, if you just parent the horns to the head you should be able to pose them as you like.

Or are you talking about the horns in my pic, the G2 creature creator horns are also just parented, plus these are rigged and have their own morphs.

Oh, yeah, I was speaking of the one in your picture. It's a G2? All the better. I'll try to own them when I can... not sure when through.