Olympia 6 Discussion and Render Thread (previously Olympia 6 Preview Thread)

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

My reaction esp with that picture was to have a good laugh. So yes, it's coming across as humour.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited December 1969

So is she bundled with fantasy only clothing? Wondering about science fiction style outfits.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

So is she bundled with fantasy only clothing? Wondering about science fiction style outfits.

No body knows that but DAZ and we will all have to wait until she is released to find out.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,486
    edited December 1969

man all these releases are too fast.... i still don't have a lot of the regular genesis shapes and i've not even started on genesis 2 yet... any of them... hah!

• HeraHera Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

Is this an upcoming outfit?

!product-page[Briar_Rose_Thorn][1].jpg
    385 x 500 - 38K
  • Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

Sir Mix-A-Lot just suddenly got interested in 3D art.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,210
    edited December 1969

I hope there are further G2 morph sets coming to expand use of the figures, like musculature, etc, and everything isn't going to be new characters only.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:

Looks more like a stab-yourself-in-the-armpits outfit, if that gold-trimmed part is supposed to be rigid-ish. Some nice shiny, though.
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:

Looks more like a stab-yourself-in-the-armpits outfit, if that gold-trimmed part is supposed to be rigid-ish. Some nice shiny, though.
    I don't understand how it can stay on without some glue on underside v_v
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited December 1969

She looks good but what does Daz have against MEN??????

They need to catch up the men with all these women!

Enough already...........

Be patient. ;) M6 release party was a big sausage fest (as it should be). Makes sense that they would want to alternate.
    Are you serious!? Sausage fest!? Yeah, the guy got some characters with his release (as ALL DAZ Icons do), but what we have for G2M is hardly compensated for the 4-about-to-be-5 characters of G2F content we already have (and are about to get). Though I suppose Hearing about the new Teen 6 male is comforting.

edited December 1969

Either way, it's good to see that we finally have an ACTUAL official Fantasy/Sci-Fi woman this time (granted she's not going to be lumped under the "Real World" category like Gia was). She actually looks more like a proper Stephanie replacement and I'm sure that, because she's the FANTASY woman, she'll become a hit and be completely ambushed by Gen 4 clothing in people's Studios. :)

edited December 2013

Either way, it's good to see that we finally have an ACTUAL official Fantasy/Sci-Fi woman this time

I don't see why Olympia is defined as 'fantasy'. She is more on Rubens'/Gilbert Girl side (so 'vintage' would be better) but nothing is unrealistic about her. And current fantasy&SF; women are skinny girls anyway; even on promos for Olympia own clothes some vendors seem to use skinnier and younger morphs.
    I almost think she is called 'fantasy woman' sorely because there is just so much skimpwear in her future bundles that calling her anything else would be against the theme of the bundle :p

P.S. with this uphive haircut on main promos is I am the only one who think that Olympia is a bit like Snooky?

Post edited by Kattey on
  • Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Either way, it's good to see that we finally have an ACTUAL official Fantasy/Sci-Fi woman this time

I don't see why Olympia is defined as 'fantasy'. She is more on Rubens'/Gilbert Girl side (so 'vintage' would be better) but nothing is unrealistic about her. And current fantasy&SF; women are skinny girls anyway; even on promos for Olympia own clothes some vendors seem to use skinnier and younger morphs.
    I almost think she is called 'fantasy woman' sorely because there is just so much skimpwear in her future bundles that calling her anything else would be against the theme of the bundle :p

P.S. with this uphive haircut on main promos is I am the only one who think that Olympia is a bit like Snooky?

She's "fantasy" to a lot of people because there is a very strong Frank Frazetta influence in her appearance.

edited December 2013

Kattey said:

Well yeah, of course. Almost all of her clothing IS significantly Fantasy themed, more so than any other Gen 6 woman we've gotten yet.

I don't see anything all that "freaky" about Freak, either. He's just a big guy with huge muscles. Yet, he's supposed to be a monstrous Sci-Fi creature.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

Well yeah, of course. Almost all of her clothing IS significantly Fantasy themed, more so than any other Gen 6 woman we've gotten yet.

It is a sad day if fantasy clothes started to be defined by loincloth skimpwear -_-
    I don’t see anything all that “freaky” about Freak, either. He’s just a big guy with huge muscles. Yet, he’s supposed to be a monstrous Sci-Fi creature.

Freak 3 had somewhat strange hands/feet proportions, IMHO, to look fully human. And the easiest way to use Freak is to paint him green and put him in purple pants.
    She’s “fantasy” to a lot of people because there is a very strong Frank Frazetta influence in her appearance.
    I'm not seeing it, but with the other hand, I'm not familiar with Frazetta's work.
  • maraichmaraich Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

She doesn't look Frazetta-ish to me either. She has more prominent hips than the previous characters, but Frazetta's ladies were a lot more chunky all over

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

Olympia has a very vintage feel to her, think '1950s.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

She’s “fantasy” to a lot of people because there is a very strong Frank Frazetta influence in her appearance.

In this case fashion has followed form. She has fantasy clothes because she has a body that is very much a blending of Franzetta and Vallejo. Not quite as big behinded as Franzetta and not quite as muscular as some of Vallejo's work. Since the silhouette inspiration is from such fantasy icons I'm personally a bit bummed that the clothing is not more revealing.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited December 1969

yeah, we're kinda missing something like the clothes from the gen4 Danie/marforno bundles, particularly Ella's and Briana's outfits. I've seen both of those used so many times, I'm surprised there are rather few comparable items for gen5 and 6. The closest I would say, is probably Predatron's Heroine Bundle, which is nice enough. But I would have expected Olympia to come with some sort of metal bikini.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,622
    edited December 1969

maraich said:
    She doesn't look Frazetta-ish to me either. She has more prominent hips than the previous characters, but Frazetta's ladies were a lot more chunky all over

May I draw your attention to the Curvaceous promos?

edited December 1969

maraich said:

May I draw your attention to the Curvaceous promos?

Sure, there is the add-on pack to make her more rounded, but the base shape does not reflect that. Any of the "figures" could have that look if add-on morphs were applied to them.

edited December 1969

But I would have expected Olympia to come with some sort of metal bikini.

I was really hoping for one myself.

maraich, perhaps the promos are not doing justice to the amount of "junk in her trunk" but compared to most of the DAZ figures she has much more cushion. And yes, if someone had wanted a girl with thunder thighs or a big bootee then they could have dialed it up before this just like they do with the huge boozums. But just like when they do that the character can look disproportional which is not the case with Olympia as evidenced by the fact that people are not picking up from the promos the extent of her curves.

edited December 1969

I don't mean to imply that I don't like her look, when in fact I think she looks quite good. And yes, compared to the usual ethereal-looking female figures she is more bulky. I just don't think she's as exaggerated (in the base shape) as a Frazetta character.

That being said, I'll put in a vote for a chain mail bikini also. )

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited December 1969

I'm always looking for practical garb myself. =-)

Would love to see the real world clothing of the everyday sort, science fiction stuff, and contemporary.

I'm not so into fantasy renders, so armor, and breastplates (or the chainmail bikini stuff) is not something I get much use out of.

Hopefully there will be something for all tastes, although all I've seen so far, appears to be fantasy.

edited December 1969

I just don’t think she’s as exaggerated (in the base shape) as a Frazetta character.

I seem to recall when we very first got her to work with looking through loads of images to get inspired for poses and thinking that she had the same figure as a girl in a Vallejo image. One of the bigger bottomed ones rather than the weight lifter ones.

edited December 1969

Now Vallejo or Julie Bell I can see.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    It is a sad day if fantasy clothes started to be defined by loincloth skimpwear -_-

Well, you don't go around seeing those kinds of articles on a regular everyday woman, now, do you? ;)
    edited December 2013

Started too? Has it not been defined exactly that for over 50 years? Think that the less is more fantasy wear is due to the Mars covers of the 70's? Try looking back to the early 40's and what Jane sometimes wore. http://www.suspense-movies.com/stars/tarzan-jane/jane4.html has a "safe for work but just barely" image as an example. The whole elves covered neck to ankle is a far more recent turn of events than the fabric saving looks of the past.

edit: That image is actually from 1932 not the early 40's.

Post edited by Khory on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,622
    edited December 1969

Khory said:

Started too? Has it not been defined exactly that for over 50 years? Think that the less is more fantasy wear is due to the Mars covers of the 70's? Try looking back to the early 40's and what Jane sometimes wore. http://www.suspense-movies.com/stars/tarzan-jane/jane4.html has a "safe for work but just barely" image as an example. The whole elves covered neck to ankle is a far more recent turn of events than the fabric saving looks of the past.

Edgar Rice Burroughs and Tolkien were contemporaries, weren't they? Doesn't that make both looks equally "new"?

I mean I don't think it matters a ton, because what is "fantasy" is, well, fantasy, therefore subjective to each person.

edited December 1969

Edgar Rice Burroughs and Tolkien were contemporaries, weren’t they?

Not so much. Princess of mars was printed in 1912 and the Hobbit was first printed in 1937. The lord of the ring books were not published till 54-57.