Maximum Polygon Count in DAZ Studio?

EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069
edited June 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

Does anybody know if there is any way to determine if there is a maximum polygon capacity for DAZ Studio, and to do a polygon count in a big scene to determine how many I am away from reaching the maximum?

Reason I ask, is because I have been experiencing, off and on, crashing of DAZ Studio due to experiencing a fatal error.  If DAZ Studio keeps crashing off and on (if infrequently), could it be due to excess polygons, or could it be an issue with any version prior to DS 4.11, and maybe installing the new version might resolve the issues?

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on

Comments

• I don't think there is a formal maximum (though the size of the data element used for indexing may impose one). However, the practical limit on any given system will be a function of the specifications and of what is in the scene (active morphs, for example, consume memory)

• Wasa-sayanWasa-sayan Posts: 16
    edited June 2019

Daz Studio doesn't care how many polygons there are in the scene. How many polygons a program can process depends on the processor (geometry processing and construction) and memory (the more polygons and morphs, the more memory will be consumed). If the system is too weak for complex scenes and many high-poly models, the program not may require the processor and memory to do more than it should. In this case Daz Studio hangs with lags and crashes.

Post edited by Wasa-sayan on
  • ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385

Nop, reaching a maximum poly count does not crash the program, and IF (would) does, a window will appear saying "Maximum Polygon Reached"

JonSea31 said:

Does anybody know if there is any way to determine if there is a maximum polygon capacity for DAZ Studio, and to do a polygon count in a big scene to determine how many I am away from reaching the maximum?

Reason I ask, is because I have been experiencing, off and on, crashing of DAZ Studio due to experiencing a fatal error.  If DAZ Studio keeps crashing off and on (if infrequently), could it be due to excess polygons, or could it be an issue with any version prior to DS 4.11, and maybe installing the new version might resolve the issues?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

I doubt that too many polygons are what is crashing your program but on the other hand the more you add the more RAM you use and you could be running out of RAM.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Don't forget textures, they're likely to need as much if not more resources than the object mesh. Objects (especially any generation of Genesis figures) with seriously huge SubDivision settings will also eat up memory.

Are there any clues in the last few lines of the D|S log file?

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069
    edited June 2019

Could it also be due to having too many instances in my scene?  I do admit, I did have too many instances in my original big city scene, and if I create a block of nine Dreamland city blocks and create multiple instances of each set of nine, and pose them appropriately - it may be better off that way.  I also used buildings created by 1stBastion, BlueTreeStudios, and maybe Stonemason, and I did read somewhere that items (especially buildings) created by Stonemason tend to be heavy on textures, and I am better off without them.  I'm just going to stick strictly with Dreamland props.

I did also resize many of the textures in the Dreamland blocks to extra small using mcasual's incredible texture resizer script, which is far better than Scene Optimizer, plus mcasual's script is free, unlike Scene Optimizer.

I may also add some low-poly buildings from the Urban Sprawl 2 and 3 sets too.

Regarding Genesis figures, I realize that clothing items can add some memory, and to help ease the problem even just a little bit, I just simply have my Genesis figures go barefoot.

Which reminds me, I did learn that many CGI animated Disney movies tend to involve barefoot characters.  Could it be due to using a computer program to animate movies and having characters go barefoot can help minimize crashing of the software they use?

edited June 2019

Somehow I get the feeling that the Riverfront scene and other Dreamland models may only be designed for Poser and not DAZ Studio, and that may explain wny it's no longer available at the DAZ Shop, but is available at Renderosity.

Reducing the texture sizes to extra small may help, but right now I am focusing on redoing the city, but with the original Dreamland 81-block city base, and with fewer instances.  I feel also that sticking strictly to Dreamland only buildings/structures may be a better idea.

Maybe, if i decide to continue using the river front scene, maybe rework it so i could create five instances of blocks of nine residential blocks, and position them in the more suitable places.  Also, create a block of nine residential buildings, and create one instance of it to fill parts of the dock.  And perhaps use the remainder of the dock to add the three warehouse district.buildings, and forget about the refinery and blast furnace.

• don't know about polygons.. but object count does seem to effect it. 
    ---
    I built many of my early buildings one two x four ie cube at a time.
    and until I started converting them into larger objects there was a limit to what I could translate.
    ----
    and note a memory size issue. 
    ---
    the computer dual xeons 64g ddr4 and 980ti and 1050 
    ---
    the buildings now have very minimal counts but at one time every window frame, casement trim piece etc was an object

delancy large 02 2700w.jpg
    2700 x 900 - 1M
    edited June 2019

Maybe if I just do away with the unneessary stuff such as a refinery and fill the dock with instances of streets and low poly city blocks, that would be a better option.

If only I could add instances of trees within a group and create instances of such group and duplicate those instances within the group instances, that would be great.

• don't know about polygons.. but object count does seem to effect it. 
    ---
    I built many of my early buildings one two x four ie cube at a time.
    and until I started converting them into larger objects there was a limit to what I could translate.
    ----
    and note a memory size issue. 
    ---
    the computer dual xeons 64g ddr4 and 980ti and 1050 
    ---
    the buildings now have very minimal counts but at one time every window frame, casement trim piece etc was an object

So maybe my big city scene had too many objects, and if there are multiple groups of instances of objects, does each such group add to the object count?

My original city scene had a fast food restaurant and an ice cream parlor both from BlueTreeStudio, a hospital from 1st Bastion, and a blast furnace and refinery from DarkMatter.  It seems as if there are too many objects among those structures combined, so if I stick strictly with only Dreamland stuff for the River Front base, that might be a better option, and maybe create several instances of the warehouse district buildings to fill the dock.

Also, if object count is somewhat to blame for the "fatal error, must close" message, would reducing the texture sizes help eliminate the fatal error message or minimize them greatly?  And/Or maybe put the entire city scene into a group and resize the group to 50% or less?

edited June 2019

well it sounds a bit excessive

can you just load the background stuff first and render that as a backdrop?

or even a spherical render for your environment sphere

distant buildings can even be billboards you render of the other stuff as png and create opacity maps for

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited June 2019

Well, to be truthful, there is a spherical render in my big city environment, which is a big object, so maybe that could be deleted, and instead, have a sky as an envirnoment background.

I did attempt to add an environment background in the 3Delight render, but with no success.  Is there any way for me to add a sky as a background to DAZ Studio, when rendering in 3Delight, and show the sky in the finished render?

• Well, some good news...

I deleted the skydome from my big city scene, and the scene loaded much faster.  Even better, the renders are much faster now, especially after replacing the full resolution textures with the extra small versions.

That said, I personally think skydomes are more suited for Poser and not DAZ Studio.

Is this iray or 3Delight?

if iray you don’t use an object skydome rather a HDR in the render environment 

Uberenvironment is pretty heavy in 3Delight too, It’s doing image based lighting calculations 

if you can get away with it use distant lights and just add a sky texture as a backdrop or render in png with alpha and add it in post

• I rely on 3Delight.