A.I. based Open Source De-noiser for Daz Studio PC and MACs

Comments

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,601
    edited July 2019

welcome and thanks!

i use the denoiser a lot myself

mindsong said:

This and the LUT tool are greatly appreciated, as are all of your gifts.

Maybe it's time for some more of us to kick some beer money your way via paypal, eh?

So, how about it folks, this week, rather than buy another fastgrab item that you'll probably never use. Kick a few bucks to mCasual at the link at the bottom of this freebie page:

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts9/mcjdenoise

It feels really good to do so, and the effort, wit, and wisdom mCasual shares for free is amazing - just look at all of the stuff on his site!

(thanks mCasual!)

--ms

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/338261/water-issue-difference-between-viewport-and-render#latest
    omamma_out.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 568K
    0010111_out.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 570K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Any advice on maintaining the close-up details (skin pores, wrinkles, etc.) which seem to be lost when using denoisers? Someone using the NVidia version advised letting it run much longer which, to me, seems to defeat the object.

edited July 2019
    for the Intel denoiser there doesnt seem to be parameters that can be adjusted ( though maybe thats just because my denoiser uses one of Intel's sample app, out of the box ) but if you can figure what an albedo map is and if you can produce one from Daz Studio ( maybe using the 3delight software renderer ) then this would help the Intel denoiser to figure what is noise and what is the skin texture ). though if the skin pores are bump maps or normal maps i dont know if it would do the trick. If i understand correctly an albedo image is a render of your scene where the renderer doesn't include glossiness. Read all about it at the Intel's release page. Google for "Intel denoise" it's called openimagedenoise and it's at github
    marble said:

Any advice on maintaining the close-up details (skin pores, wrinkles, etc.) which seem to be lost when using denoisers? Someone using the NVidia version advised letting it run much longer which, to me, seems to defeat the object.

Post edited by mCasual on
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,586

Sounds like the birth of a new feature Albedo and maybe a photo shop mask render in Opengl? Something fast otherwise just use as is.

if i guess correctly, an albedo image is similar to an opengl render where all materials are flat/matte ( diffuse only ) so the denoiser has your noisy iRay render plus this flat/matte render to work with. There's probably youtube videos about this since Blender and Maya users are on the case.

Sounds like the birth of a new feature Albedo and maybe a photo shop mask render in Opengl? Something fast otherwise just use as is.

FB_IMG_1562858909142.jpg
    720 x 1200 - 53K

Yeah, if this worked you would render opengl albedo then render iray then run script with both files? Don't know enough about this denoiser to really speculate?

maybe it would work maybe with a DirectLight that has the same orientation and position as the render camera. this way the denoiser can tell if something is noise or part of the texture ex :grass fur i think i did a test with my script and an albedo map from the opendenoiser releade page by Intel

Yeah, if this worked you would render opengl albedo then render iray then run script with both files? Don't know enough about this denoiser to really speculate?

They are discussing this in this forum her at daz>>>https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/316206/denoise-renders-and-save-a-lot-of-time-nvidia-not-reqd/p8

It is a feature that daz needs is a opengl albedo map for the denoiser to work better but this is not a real priority for daz.

• will be usefull thanks! :)

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I'm not at home, but as I recall, in Iray canvases, you have an option to render a "Diffuse" canvas. Maybe that would work? Although if there's still noise in the main (beauty) canvas it may not help in this case I guess.

edited July 2019

UPDATE V4 UPDATE V4 UPDATE V4 UPDATE V4 UPDATE V4 UPDATE V4 

i dont know if it was always the case but denoise.exe was unable to overwrite temp_out.pfm in Daz Studio's temp folder

which made processing multiple images fail 

i found this out when denoising this image .... ( Daz Studio to VR Goggles coming soon )

bestone.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 318K

Thanks for update! Great work as always.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133

Thanks for the iray update Jacques, very useful script :)

welcome and ... in trivia news, your thumbnail image was the first ever image transmitted from my PC to my phone when i began development of my upcoming Daz to VR goggles project twas accidental and due to the fact i needed a small image and apparently i once dowloaded something ... maybe your shadow-ground-plane tutorial
    Ivy said:

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited July 2019

While the denoising is amazing, this interface is a gem and totally makes it usable for mere mortals! Thanks for the update.

An interesting variant would be to hack a minimal version of this that can be used as a 'Post Process Script' in the "Render Settings->General" tab - grabbing the outputs and doing this same magic to create a final output. Maybe using the same settings as the last interactive run, so it could skip the pop-up?

thanks again mcj!

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
    edited July 2019
    mCasual said:

UPDATE V4

.... ( Daz Studio to VR Goggles coming soon )

Oooh.... neato!

If this is what I think it is, please include a 'cross-eyed' output option for glasses-free previewing for those of us who can do that brain bend.

(very excited for this!)

--ms

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    mCasual said:
    welcome and ... in trivia news, your thumbnail image was the first ever image transmitted from my PC to my phone when i began development of my upcoming Daz to VR goggles project twas accidental and due to the fact i needed a small image and apparently i once dowloaded something ... maybe your shadow-ground-plane tutorial
    Ivy said:

That is very cool smiley its good to be known as a trivia, 

I use my Ivy icon in all my downloads as a easy way to find to my products  i offer like poses and my pane & back ground props, etc  so you might have picked up anywhere. I'm glad it was useful  smiley

edited July 2019

VR days are comin 

openGL Intermediate rendered stereoscopic image 

OOPS i had left-right inverted

thatoneisok.jpg
    1920 x 960 - 295K
    Post edited by mCasual on
    edited July 2019

in cross-eyed, no less! you're the bomb!

:^)

--ms

ETA: aww - you 'fixed' it. I liked the X-eyed version :^) - still neat stuff!

edited July 2019

thanks i ordered $12 glasses like attached below (since i dont think i ever succeeded in doing the crosseyed trick). the image above works in phone-based VR goggles too. With iRay renders i can use the barrel distorsion effect provided by the mysterious lens settings of the Daz Cameras. see the black-framed image above 

Ritech 3D movie mate. Bryan May of Queen has his own version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxgXM7sndp8

and there's the Berezin ones https://www.berezin.com/3d/3dprism.htm

mindsong said:

--ms

1563453490193.jpg
    355 x 355 - 7K
    sirena_out1.jpg
    1236 x 656 - 322K
    edited July 2019
    mCasual said:

thanks i ordered $12 glasses like attached below (since i dont think i ever succeeded in doing the crosseyed trick). the image above works in phone-based VR goggles too. With iRay renders i can use the barrel distorsion effect provided by the mysterious lens settings of the Daz Cameras. see the black-framed image above 

Ritech 3D movie mate. Bryan May of Queen has his own version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxgXM7sndp8

and there's the Berezin ones https://www.berezin.com/3d/3dprism.htm

mindsong said:

--ms

We're hijacking your own thread here! Please please start a new thread for this 3d-stereo majik you are producing, so we can consolidate the inevitable interest and discourse there! I have a bunch of thoughts that I'll add to that when you start that thread - but *you* (mechanically) need to do it so you can edit the intro comment, etc.!

FWIW, I have the berezin parallel glasses and they work fine, but the other ones look like they fit over glasses more naturally. Thanks for the links!

Some folks can actually do parallel viewing without lenses ("look at infinity"), and that one hurts my head! I need the prisms for that.

very excited!

--ms

edited July 2019

Back on topic note:

I like png files for lossless workflows when possible, and the script allows us to specify 'png' files when selecting the target files and types, but Image Magick's default png format is 48 bit (16 per color), resulting in files that are twice as big as the data actually contained (I believe). The Image Maigick method for specifying a non-default png format is to precede the target filename with something like "png24:" or "png32:" in the "convert" command. I don't believe that there's any value in the extra bits in the DS workflow, right?

I also suppose a good question is whether or not the png alpha is preserved across denoising (in the 'pfm' stage, etc.). If so, "png32:" is preferred, else "png24:".

If you do an update, please consider either making this a default, or maybe adding yet another checkbox?

Also, while the "_out" suffix is automatically appended to the base of the output filenames (after picking new input source files), for me, this happens with the checkbox unchecked and checked - as far as I can tell. I can ultimately get the naming do what I wish, but it isn't clear to me if this is working consistently. Anyone else?

Still, this little gem rocks!

--ms

(edits to clarify)

edited July 2019

mcjDenoise For Daz Studio (Intel Open Denoise) Update: Improved Output image control Png/Jpg

mindsong said:

Back on topic note:

I like png files for lossless workflows when possible, and the script allows us to specify 'png' files when selecting the target files and types, but Image Magick's default png format is 48 bit (16 per color), resulting in files that are twice as big as the data actually contained (I believe). The Image Maigick method for specifying a non-default png format is to precede the target filename with something like "png24:" or "png32:" in the "convert" command. I don't believe that there's any value in the extra bits in the DS workflow, right?

I also suppose a good question is whether or not the png alpha is preserved across denoising (in the 'pfm' stage, etc.). If so, "png32:" is preferred, else "png24:".

If you do an update, please consider either making this a default, or maybe adding yet another checkbox?

Also, while the "_out" suffix is automatically appended to the base of the output filenames (after picking new input source files), for me, this happens with the checkbox unchecked and checked - as far as I can tell. I can ultimately get the naming do what I wish, but it isn't clear to me if this is working consistently. Anyone else?

--ms

(edits to clarify)

moino.png
    1600 x 2400 - 3M
    showitlikitiz.jpg
    800 x 855 - 141K

Nice work! Thank you very much

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    edited July 2019
    mCasual said:

mcjDenoise For Daz Studio (Intel Open Denoise) Update: Improved Output image control Png/Jpg

mindsong said:

Back on topic note:

--ms

(edits to clarify)

I'm getting an error with the latest version of the script (v5).

2019-07-24 16:09:21.767 Loading script: C:/Users/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/scripts/mcasual/mcjDenoise.dsa
    2019-07-24 16:09:21.769 WARNING: Script Error: Line 886
    2019-07-24 16:09:21.769 WARNING: SyntaxError: Parse error

Just added a missing close parenthesis at line 885 to fix the issue.

Thanks for the script update.

Post edited by y3kman on
    edited July 2019

Version 6 Fixes the Bugs of yesterday's version 5

Due to the Mandela effect, mcjDenoise reacquired bugs that i did fix just before publishing .... trêve de plaisanteries, the new version un-breaks mcjDenoise's heart https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts9/mcjdenoise

( yesterday i probably saved the last version in my publishing folder, then over-wrote it with an older version , or it's the gremlins not to confuse with the goonies )

airmorpheusx_out.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 862K

Thanks for bug fix.

mCasual said:

Version 6 Fixes the Bugs of yesterday's version 5

Due to the Mandela effect, mcjDenoise reacquired bugs that i did fix just before publishing .... trêve de plaisanteries, the new version un-breaks mcjDenoise's heart https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts9/mcjdenoise

( yesterday i probably saved the last version in my publishing folder, then over-wrote it with an older version , or it's the gremlins not to confuse with the goonies )

wowzer - thanks for the new featrures and fixes. I'm about to run a 600 frame batch, so that's pretty cool timing.

and this airplane render is great in 2D... I wonder how it looks in ... :)

bravo!

--ms

this just in ...

are you unafraid and impatient to test mcjTeleBlender4 for daz studio for Blender 2.80? here's your chance to crash both Daz Studio and Blender ( not really but this should scare the afraid and the patient ones ) https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts9/mcjteleblender4temprelease

mindsong said:
    mCasual said:

wowzer - thanks for the new featrures and fixes. I'm about to run a 600 frame batch, so that's pretty cool timing.

and this airplane render is great in 2D... I wonder how it looks in ... :)

bravo!

--ms

I would wait till full stable version of blender 2.8 comes out no telling how many changes they will make.