Using 2nd HD for content

I had to have my hard drive rebuilt, due to a bad sector on it. When the tech guys were fixing it, they installed a second solid state drive.

My question is, if I load content on to a second drive where DAZ is on the primary drive, can Daz Studio pull from that secondary drive? The reason I ask is I am trying to balance out the content, so one drive does not run out of space

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,032
    edited June 2019

DS can use content installed on any drive, as long as you set the preferences to tell it where it is.

The only thing is that IIRC you can only have one directory where you install content with Connect, so you'll need to install at least part of your content with DIM or manually if you want to have content on both drives.

Post edited by Leana on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

My question is, if I load content on to a second drive where DAZ is on the primary drive, can Daz Studio pull from that secondary drive?

Sure.

I've just moved My DAZ3d Library to external drive J:, while the Daz executables and My Library remain on C: It all works fine. See this thread and the one it links to for instructions:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/332926/moving-daz-assets-from-one-drive-to-another

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

I strongly recommend that you get an additional HDD rather putting assets on a SSD. 3d assets can take up a lot of space, I have something like 6 Tb of stuff, so the 500Gb or 1Tb of most SSD's is not really going to make much difference and the cost per Gb of thosedrives compared to HDD's is substantial.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I prefer SSDs due to noise; but certainly they cost more.

I would also agree that an additional (or 2, 3, 4 etc) drives to be a good idea; if you need to install windows again, then there isn't the issue of moving, recovering from a back up (You do create backups don't you?), or reinstalling all the content.

I avoid connect so have no idea, and couldn't care less, how that behaves.