Displaying an Image On A Curved Multi-poly Surface Without Losing Continuity

Hey guys, Trying to get an image of some text on a curved surface of a windshield.   Problem is, it's got multiple poly geometry.  Can I assume the surface needs to consist of a single poly?  

windshield.JPG
1019 x 448 - 190K

Comments

• I'm not sure what you mean. There's nothing wrong with the mapping you show, though you may need to curve the text to follow the shape. If this si for Daz Studio rendering in Iray then another option would be to use an Iray Decal node to project the text onto the window, which would be independent of the mapping.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 577

A single poly would make the windshield go flat, which wouldn't work. All you should need to do is make sure all the polygons are part of the same surface group. I think the shape of the letters might be effected by the shape of the UV map however. To get the best results, you might have to fit the letters to match the shape of the UV map when you create the texture. Since the shape is close to a rectangle, you might not notice much distortion if you were to make things simple and use a plain, rectangular image of the text over it.

•  

Quasar said:

A single poly would make the windshield go flat, which wouldn't work. All you should need to do is make sure all the polygons are part of the same surface group. I think the shape of the letters might be effected by the shape of the UV map however. To get the best results, you might have to fit the letters to match the shape of the UV map when you create the texture. Since the shape is close to a rectangle, you might not notice much distortion if you were to make things simple and use a plain, rectangular image of the text over it.use

Yeah, a single poly surface would be planar.  Thankss, tried doing that and each poly would display it's own triangular distorted image of the text image.   Also needed to use mCasual's script to make the text scroll across the windshield.  The iray decal worked for that.

I'm not sure what you mean. There's nothing wrong with the mapping you show, though you may need to curve the text to follow the shape. If this si for Daz Studio rendering in Iray then another option would be to use an Iray Decal node to project the text onto the window, which would be independent of the mapping.

Thanks man, you saved my bacon.  Company keeps asking for all kinds of weird crap on futuristic cars.  They also wanted to show like a cyborg scannig eye on the front of a vehicle like on a Cylon space craft  I was able to use the iRay decal tool for that too.  Never new that the Iray Decal tool existed. mCasual's script worked with it too allowing me to scroll the cyborg eye back and forth.

• Great, I'm glad that was useful.