How to make glossy/wet/shiny eyes?

HylasHylas Posts: 4,773

I've noticed that some characters in the store seem to have particularly glossy/wet/shiny/reflective eyes.

Almost as if they're about to cry (but without the redness).

Examples: Vivy, Yiyi, Xoxo, Pei

How do I achieve that? I played around with the settings of "eye moisture" but didn't get anywhere. Then again, I don't really know what I'm doing.

I work with IRAY and Genesis 8.

Thank you!

Comments

• Yes, I am interested in this too. I'm using 3Delight. Please educate us :)

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2019
    Hylas said:

I've noticed that some characters in the store seem to have particularly glossy/wet/shiny/reflective eyes.

Almost as if they're about to cry (but without the redness).

Examples: Vivy, Yiyi, Xoxo, Pei

How do I achieve that? I played around with the settings of "eye moisture" but didn't get anywhere. Then again, I don't really know what I'm doing.

I work with IRAY and Genesis 8.

Thank you!

I'm no IRay user so can't be of much help, but looking at the promos makes me believe there's some faking with reflection maps going on:)

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2019

Yes, I am interested in this too. I'm using 3Delight. Please educate us :)

No educator, couple of basic tips, though:) A lot of things playing a role in what the final output of your render will look like. Most important would be the lighting, camera placement, the scene and the shaders being used on the eye surfaces.

If you want specular highlights without faking them with reflection maps, the light has to come in at such an angle that they show in the camera. Move the light(s) around or move the camera/change camera angle until you get the desired results.

Make sure there are no transparent areas (areas without some sort of geometry/mesh) in your scene. Those empty areas can render black in reflective surfaces like eyes.

The eye moisture/eye surface/cornea (depending on what figure you use) can have different shaders applied to them, most common would be the DS default shader or UberSurface. They behave slightly differently and have different specular models, so without knowing what you are using, it's hard to give accurate advice. With the default shader, if opacity is set to 0 there will be no reflection. With UberSurface you can have opacity at 0 but still have the surface reflect.

So in general, what you need to do is adjust the specular and reflective surface channels, for the reflective parts of the eye, to work with your scene. The tear also plays part in this, for more wet looking eyes you need to make sure it has some highlights/reflection.

Finally, note that limits can be turned off for things like reflection strength and specular strength;) By any means necessary and so on...

And naturally you need to have enough raytrace depth in you render settings for reflections/refraction to appear. A number of 2 would be a good start.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on