dForce Bristol Hair by AprilYSH

TATSU 3DTATSU 3D Posts: 224

Hey everyone,

So this morning I purchased the 'dForce Bristol Hair by AprilSYH' as it looks awesome, and something my male characters have been screaming out for for ages!

However, upon downloading and installing via DIM, I am presented with an error whenever I attempt to load the hair onto a figure:

The hairbase seems to load ok, as if the model has a shaved head. The rest of it looks like he has a lot of white spaghetti coming out of his head!

I have clickied on 'Install selected' multiple times (the error shows three of four times before going away) but the hair's appearance never changes.  I've also tried (in vain!) to locate the product that it's referencing - both in my install tab in DAZ, and on the Marketplace.  I've even had a look in DIM but nada.

So I'm at the top of my pay grade - It's beyond me why it's doing this!  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

John

*Edited to correct picture spacing

Post edited by TATSU 3D on

Comments

• TATSU 3DTATSU 3D Posts: 224

Update: I believe the problem (whatever it turns out to be!) is at my end, as I now have the exact same problem with dForce Eddie Hair and Goatee for Genesis 8 Male(s) which is by a completely different artist!

• NathNath Posts: 2,719

Have you updated your Studio to 4.11 and updated the Starter Essentials? These items may need that version's updates to work.

I only re-downloaded and installed 4.11 this morning, after going back to 4.10 for a few weeks.  So I *should* have the latest version I'd think?

Where would I find the Starter Essentials to check?

Ok, I did find the Starter Essentials in Studio, and re-installed them.

Now, whist I do not get the error message, the hair still loads like white spaghetti?

• NathNath Posts: 2,719

I'm guessing here because I'm not at my render PC and don't have the item, but can you now run a dforce simulation on it, and what happens if you render?

• fatel666fatel666 Posts: 21

I think it only shows up properly during rendering, I picked up the Eddie hair and it does the same in the viewport but looks ok when rendered

• jakamaccajakamacca Posts: 0

Have you tried rendering the white spaghetti?
    I don't have this asset, but I did play around a little with the strand based hair while 4.11 was in beta and that was how the hair appeared in the viewport.
    Assuming it works the same way if you render you should be able to see the hair as actual hair, and if I remember right there is an option in the hair settings somewhere to render the strands in the viewport (can't recall off the top of my head though)

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

That's how hair you create yourself looks so I expect that's how the purchased assets will look.

Ok, an update! I have tried rendering the white spaghetti, and the hair does indeed render correctly.

Bit of a strange one this, never seen hair act like this before!

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

You'd think the preview render would do the job but it doesn't. I'm so glad I read this before I wasted a lot of time trying to do updates that didn't need to be done and install and uninstall. It's a bit frustrating that you can't preview what the hair will look like without having to do a full in a new window.

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718
    edited June 2019

I just want to add to my bit of a moan that this is the best looking hair I think I've ever seen, though Matthew hair is really good. [Edit, sorry, I thought Matthew hair was one of yours, I have so many of your hair producsts, they are fantastic.] I bought this without even looking at the promos! Thank you. I know nothing is perfect and I can't imagine the difficulties in making this product. The surfaces look complicated beyond anything I've looked at.

Thanks.

Post edited by AbnerK on
  • TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited June 2019

You can preview the strand based hairs by  going to

Parameters (with hair selected )- Line Tessallation - Preview PR Hairs ON

strandhair.jpg
    947 x 403 - 51K
    Post edited by Tottallou on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145
    Tottallou said:

Thanks for the tip.  It is definitely weird not being able to see the hair you are using.  Are you using white hair or does your method only show white strands.  In other words, if one wants to try different colors, does one have to do partial renders to see how a particular color looks?

On render in the viewport using Iray Photoreal the hair shows color - The hair is one I made in the Editor a while back so I am not sure it has the most up to date shaders

The Daz G8 Mohawk is orange in the viewport but seems to dissapear when I use the Iray Photoreal Preview & so far I haven't found away around that  - Maybe the show PR hairs does not work once Dforce is added as a few people seem to be posting about not seeing the items in the viewport :(

Oso3D answered the invisible preview question in another thread so I will add that here for anyone following  - It does work to see the G8 mohawk in Iray preview :)

"You can set up tessellation: render 2, to get some previewable visibility. But it’ll slow things down a lot."

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

It’s actually viewport tessellation, I’m a good. Got it backward heh

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Thank you both.

• Is anyone else getting an error message to check the log file when trying to change the hair color to one of the other preset shades?

• AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,481
    edited June 2019

Heyas, apologies I didn't see this thread earlier. Thank you very much to those who have helped :) 

Tottallou said:

Yes, preview PR is off by default because it slows down the viewport for older computers - unless you load the hair last after you've set up your scene and pose and lights, etc.  

Is anyone else getting an error message to check the log file when trying to change the hair color to one of the other preset shades?

Can you still recreate the issue?  The presets are heirarchical so you select genesis8 or the hair itself before applying.

Sorel said:

also what are the settings that make the hair strands less thick and blocky?

Select the dforce strands (it's a child of the hair skull cap) and you'll see the material settings in the Surfaces panel.  For thickness you want to reduce Line Start Width and Line End Width.  If you make the hairs finer you might want to increase density though - it's a balancing act :)

Sorel said:

What settings do I change to make it react to hands better? This was a 45 second sim with bristol hair.

Making it more reactive to collision can make the hairstyle floppy and not look the same, so this is also a balancing act.  (The Bristol guy or girl uses a lot of max strength mousse and it kills the run-your-fingers-through-your-hair mood.  lol) So with that in mind...

1. general dforce tip (not just hair, those with more experience with dforce cloth do this a lot) is to use the timeline so the dynamics can resolve more realistically, eg apply the pose at the 15 second mark and then click simulate so it has from zero seconds to calculate. Sorel, I noticed you probably did this as you mentioned 45 seconds :)

2. in the Surfaces panel again you will find the new hair simulation settings - these are what I've found will help, may not be perfect but closer :)

• decrease Local Shape Constraint Stiffness to 0.3
    • increase Local Shape Constraint Stiffness Bias to 0.9 (the stiffness will start more towards the tips than start at the roots, ie roots will be softer)
    • decrease Local Shape Constraint Stiffness Gain to 0.1 (how fast the stiffness increases towards the tips)
    • decrease Local Shape Constraint Tip Stiffness to 0.1 (wash out my liberally applied hair mousse :( )
    • decrease both Hair Constraint Iterations and Local Shape Constraint Iterations to their default (Alt+click on their sliders which reduce them to 1 and 2 respectively) so the hair has less chance to try to resolve back to its fully moussed shape after simulation.

Above will make the guide curves collide better with the hand.
    Below is stuff to make generated hair strands respect those guide curves more strongly.
    Note - ideally I would change the generation to pre-sim hairs so they can generate before simulation and be involved during draping, but I've found pre-sim generation can be a bit buggy in Target Surface mode so I went with strongly moussed pre-render(ie after-sim) generation as a compromise. :P

3. Still in Surfaces panel

• reduce PR Interpolation Segment Length to 0.3 so the curves have smoother bending and can go around fingers easier (but it will tend to Frizz more too so you might want to reduce PR Frizz Tip Amount.)
    • increase PR Single Guide Strength to 100% (the generated hairs will stick to the guide curves rather than spreading out)
      and this will open up the following options too: PR Single Guide Base 90% and PR Single Guide Tip 90%

Ok, I hope that's helped with understanding the new dforce hair parts a bit better :) I'm not 100% on them either, I just set what looks good and then sometimes change my mind (heh), but may not be realistic and may not even be intended use by the developers! lol

EDITED TO ADD: please feel free to contact me directly if you don't get a reply on the forum.  I can be reached by https://www.facebook.com/AprilYSH.3d/ or by forum message https://www.daz3d.com/forums/messages/add/AprilYSH.  Daz do customer support for us PAs so you can otherwise submit a help ticket https://www.daz3d.com/help/ . If the question is specific to the 3d item and needs the product maker's input they forward the question to the PA.  The majority of questions are about installation and/or general DS use and not about the 3d item, I suspect Daz prefer us PAs making products than answering general DS questions hahaha :) 

test-collision.jpg
    491 x 527 - 17K
    Post edited by AprilYSH on
  • SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    April thank you so much for this information!

You're welcome :)  It's fiddly if you're not familiar with those settings (and it's fairly new even to PAs right now.) I should think about making a preset for collision purposes - I only thought about how it looked, then a tiny bit of draping as a second thought.  lol 

• Don't mean to reawaken this thread, but I'm facing a white spagetti issue that results in only the scalp being rendered when doing a proper Ctrl+R render.

When I try to simulate dforce, I also get an "Error preparing objects to simulate".

I'm on the latest 4.11 and have the updated starter essentials. 

edited July 2019

Heya, adding to a thread is better than starting a new one and rehashing everything, and more likely to be spotted by people like me who have replied previously :) 

my latest general checklist is this...
    1. DS version 4.11 or later?
    2. dforce starter essentials up to date?
    3. make sure you haven't currently got a geometry editing tool selected, select the pointer tool instead and then try to render again.  

4. load the free sample mohawk in a new empty scene and test if that renders for you.  
        (found in Content LIbrary > [your library] > People > Genesis 8 Male > Hair > Strand-Based Hair Samples ... and also in the Genesis 8 Female folder)
    5. latest nvidia drivers, 430.86 or later, from https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx ?
    6. applied my "preview render on" preset if you are doing viewport renders (sets viewport tesselation 2+ and pr preview on) 

• Thanks for getting back so quickly!

1. DS version 4.11 confirmed
    2. dforce starter essentials up to date (nothing shows up in installer)
    3. Error persists with mouse selected in Ctrl+R renders
    4. Non-strand mohawk appears as yellow noodles in viewport and appears as tiny lines in render. Strand mohawk does not display in viewport and does not render. Attempting to simulate both results in error.
    5. Nvidia driver at 431.60
    6. Settings tweaked to enable viewport renders. Error persists.

Is there anything else I should try before attempting a reinstall?

• Wait I fixed it!

Updated to 4.12 beta and now EVERYTHING WORKS! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

edited July 2019

Heya, great to see you found a solution :) I didn't know of any other checkpoints aside from above in 4.11, glad the beta works for you!

edited to add: bristol hair installer was updated July 22nd to include the "preview render on" preset, however it was built on outdated pre-release files, so I have resubmitted to Daz to add the preview presets to the correct released files and get the installer updated again.  

• Anyone knows who's the model character in the promo? Thanks