So when will we get Cat 8?

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
edited June 2019 in The Commons

...OK, so Dog 8 has been out for a while, yet,if you want a cat in your scene, you have to deal with a decade old  mesh that doesn't bend or pose very well. 

Stop giving us more G8 females and give us a cat the bends and poses like a real cat.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Comments

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

I second this.  We need Cat 8.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703

I want Cat 8 also.  I have an idea for cat 8, but I need cat 8 first!

• ElgyfuElgyfu Posts: 279

I suspect a lot of cat lovers have a certain well known cat model from another site.  Though I believe it was sold on Daz for a while, sadly no more.

We could definitely do with more animals.

Where, oh where is the Daz Guinea Pig?

Elgyfu said:

I suspect a lot of cat lovers have a certain well known cat model from another site.  Though I believe it was sold on Daz for a while, sadly no more.

We could definitely do with more animals.

Where, oh where is the Daz Guinea Pig?

Personally I rather have Cat 8.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

I don't wait for cat8 any longer. Just got the hivewire cat.

• ReneWReneW Posts: 123

With no sign in sight of a new Daz Cat 8, I broke down and got the Hivewire cat.  At least you can use Look At My Hair with it.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684

I'm going to be "naughty" by telling I've started with a base a while ago. I have to finish several other products before I get to pick the kitty up again. Likely, it will take several more months as you can see this is really early stages. In time, I'll start a thread in the commercial forums to show progress :D

Cat.jpg
    729 x 765 - 272K
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,032
    ReneW said:

With no sign in sight of a new Daz Cat 8, I broke down and got the Hivewire cat.  At least you can use Look At My Hair with it.

HW3D cat is a good investment, but for the record, there are free LAMH presets available for the millenium cat too.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

The old MilCat looks pretty good once you get fur onto it. Still legacy rigging, though.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    Sylvan said:

I'm going to be "naughty" by telling I've started with a base a while ago. I have to finish several other products before I get to pick the kitty up again. Likely, it will take several more months as you can see this is really early stages. In time, I'll start a thread in the commercial forums to show progress :D

OMGOSH, this is the next official Daz Cat? This is cool, almost like seeing an ultrasound picture of an unborn character. yes

(Yes, I've got both the HW cat and good old MilCat. I'm a virtual pet hoarder.)

• I'm still using Cat6... oh wait, you aren't talking networking cable are you? :P

• JVRendererJVRenderer Posts: 661

um, Dragon 8 ?

How about Pig 8?  Huh?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

Now that we can put hair on them, maybe it's time to consider a new sheep.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,032
    TigerAnne said:

OMGOSH, this is the next official Daz Cat?

This is a work in progress from Sylvan. That's all we know for now.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I'm still using Cat6... oh wait, you aren't talking networking cable are you? :P

Oh thank <diety of choice> !  Whew. I ignore the news for a few weeks & technology changes so rapidly these days, ya just never know.

But ya, I'd really like to see AM jump in on this, but suspect he's a bit knee deep with his new gig at the moment.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    JOdel said:

The old MilCat looks pretty good once you get fur onto it. Still legacy rigging, though.

..yeah that's why we need a new one.

I thought AM said something about working on a domestic cat a while back, but haven't heard anything since.

edited June 2019

um, Dragon 8 ?

...well, the Dragon has already gone through two updates (plus that "sub" critter thingie) since it bore the "MIl" prefix, and the dog recently had one.  Time for the cat to get its due.

Even the Cow finally got an update (still haven't heard from Socratease).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

A Cat 8 might finally convince me to *shudder* start using the newer versions of Studio.
    Nah, I'll just get the Hivewire Cat.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

New cat would be kewl with extra spine bones for flexibility. 

• SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684

For me, in a closeup, well lighted shot, the current cat models are jarringly unrealistic next to the realism possible with the human models. It's not just the fur, the eye shape and skull are not correct and the textures for the eyes are not the luminous beautiful colors you see in real cats either. Looking forward to seeing your cat, Sylvan.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100

I'd love to see a thorougly modernized cat, but it wouldn't be "Cat 8". Victoria/Michael/Genesis (meshes, rigging, maps, etc) are on generation 8, but the cat, dragon, dog, etc. have their own meshes, rigging, blah blah blah and much lower numbers.

I think we've had:

• Millenium Cat (around 2000)
    • Big Cat (2008?)
    • Big Cat 2 (2013)

And that's it.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited June 2019
    wiz said:

I'd love to see a thorougly modernized cat, but it wouldn't be "Cat 8". Victoria/Michael/Genesis (meshes, rigging, maps, etc) are on generation 8, but the cat, dragon, dog, etc. have their own meshes, rigging, blah blah blah and much lower numbers.

I think we've had:

• Millenium Cat (around 2000)
    • Big Cat (2008?)
    • Big Cat 2 (2013)

And that's it.

The most recent dog is "Dog 8." The "8" suffix is as much about branding as anything, I think--it lets people know they're buying the most recent figures. So it'd likely be more confusing from a marketing standpoint to give animals a different number. 

Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • novastridernovastrider Posts: 204
    edited June 2019

No love for Goldfish 8?

* Contains dFins.
    * Packaged with Mermaid 8.

Post edited by novastrider on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,819

Prime 8

the ape world equivalent of Genesis 8 but with all the monkey and big ape morph sets instead and a crossfigure addon for Genesis 8

• novastridernovastrider Posts: 204
    edited June 2019

If I could give points, you would get them for that pun.

Also minus points for me, because I didn't do Merm 8.

Post edited by novastrider on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,819

Well there could be Genre8 with starts out like the Blender cube ...

..Cube8!  With dForce.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

dForce is with dJedi.  

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675