An alternative to RTEncode

edited December 1969 in Freebies

Hi,

some time ago I complained about my Morph packs not useable in DAZ 4.6 because of missing PMD support.
Richard Haseltine mentioned ExP as an alternative, and actually DavidGB created an ExP version of my 182 morphs for V4 in the meantime - thank you. But Laura and Antonia are still missing.

So now I created a tool called "CR2Diff" to diff and merge CR2 files as an alternative.

As a content creator, you can take a clean File - let's say Antonia Polygon Standard - and the same Model, but with additional morphs applied - e.g. by morph loader. CR2Diff now writes only the differences to disk, which in this case is only the morphs.

As a user, you can use this difference file and your original Antonia. CR2Diff then writes a merged version to disk - Antonia with morphs!

The usage is pretty similar to RTEncode, with three major differences:
- CR2Diff is completely free. No cost for the content creator, and source is available on request.
- If you only use it for adding morphs, no copyrighted data has to be distributed, since only the additions (your work) is stored!
- Since CR2Diff analyzes the differences in the structure of two CR2's instead of simple text changes, you can apply two or more morph packs to one model.

The software is currently in beta state. You can download it at
http://www.sharecg.com/v/73390/view/10/Software-and-Tools/CR2Diff-1.0-Beta

As a first test, I have uploaded the CR2Diff version of my Antonia face and body morphs as well:
http://www.sharecg.com/v/73393/view/11/Poser/Antonia-Morph-Pack-CR2Diff-Beta

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 2013

That looks good. I have seen software upgrade programs in the past that did the same thing, only write the difference

Thank you very much.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,786
    edited December 1969

This could be a solution to an interesting conundrum in using Genesis in Poser; namely adding morphs to a figure exported as a cr2. Normally to add morphs they need to be installed into Studio and a new figure exported. The Content creator could export the morphed file, and then take the difference between it and the exported base Genesis cr2 and distribute that. The issue would be not changing the object file references in the process...

• edited December 1969

Yes, that's exactly where it is intended for.
    Currently, I have only tested it for V4, Laura 3 and Antonia Polygon. Surely it would be interesting to test other models like Genesis 2.

• shanteshante Posts: 206
    edited December 1969

DieTrying said:
    Currently, I have only tested it for V4, Laura 3 and Antonia Polygon. Surely it would be interesting to test other models like Genesis 2.

I assume it is a PC version only?

edited December 2013

shante said:
    DieTrying said:

I assume it is a PC version only?
    I tried it under Wine in Linux, and got an error that the output file didn't exist, so it likely wont work in OS X under Winebottler either.

It is very cumbersome to select files to generate a .diff, as the file dialog doesn't remember the path...

Post edited by WandW on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

I've used the CR2 "readscript" command to daisy-chain CR2s together: it was a trick I found years ago in a Sixus1Media add-on product. Is this basically the same function?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Sounds like an ideal solution for me to share my Bruno and BrunoD morphs with the Poser community. YAY! Sounds fabulous!

• edited December 1969

Currently it's a PC only version.
    But it is programmed more or less system independent, and the UI is based on Qt, so it should be fairly simple to port it to Linux and/or Mac. The source code is available, so if anyone wants to port it, please mail me.

Thats how it works:
    CR2 files are more or less trees. The trees of two files are built in memory. Now for every branch in every tree it is looked, if it is in the other tree as well. If it is in tree 1 but not in tree 2, it is added to the section, if it is in tree 2 but not in tree 1, it is added to the [ADD] section of the CR2Diff. So when you merge it, you will get tree 2, if you subtract the section from tree 1, and add the [ADD] section.

@RAMWolff:
    I'm very interested in your experience with this.
    Since the program is free, you could include it in your download. I did this now with my Antonia morph pack.

edited December 1969

I'm at work but I'll download it and see what I do with it when I'm home tonight or tomorrow... day off. Thanks for your nice offering. Something allot of us have been wanting.

• edited December 2013

WandW said:

I tried it under Wine in Linux, and got an error that the output file didn't exist, so it likely wont work in OS X under Winebottler either.

Probably I could install a virtual linux and check it under Wine; I assume it should be no big problem. But it will take some time.

It is very cumbersome to select files to generate a .diff, as the file dialog doesn't remember the path...

This is strange, since it should remember the path, which it does for me (just checked)
    I use the standard Qt config storage, which stores its values in the registry and should be very proven.
    Which windows version do you use? Or did you mean this happens under Wine?

Post edited by phoenix_5cdd55c6ee on
    edited December 1969

DieTrying said:
    WandW said:

This is strange, since it should remember the path, which it does for me (just checked)
    I use the standard Qt config storage, which stores its values in the registry and should be very proven.
    Which windows version do you use? Or did you mean this happens under Wine?
    This is under Wine; I haven't yet tried it on Windows; been battling the PP2014 content update. There needs to be an update to the update... ;-)

• edited December 1969

I now tested it under a freshly installed Virtual Box/Kubuntu/Wine.

Sorry, I can not reproduce the "the output file didn’t exist" issue. Could you please send me the exact wording of the error message and the according log file? (Log files under Wine are at "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/users/YOUR USER NAME/.dietrying/logs/).
    Since it worked with me, I would assume it's some kind of case sensitivity thing.

Nevertheless there's a new version 1.0.3. up which works better also under Wine.

There's a a fix (could crash when comparing empty "Delta" entries) and improved Wine support (fix hangs after apply, improved initial paths entry).

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I'm comfortable in xcode. Want me to take a stab at compiling for OS X?

• edited December 1969

Yes, of course, thank you. -> PM.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

This looks interesting. Will give it a whirl. :coolsmile:

• edited December 1969

Version 1.0.4 beta is up.
    Some errors have been fixed, and it is possible to load and save complete path settings, as well as showing the models paths in explorer.
    Unfortunately the latter does not work under Wine, but this is definitely the responsibility of Wine (I call the Windows standard command to open a path in explorer - shellExecute() - but Wine does nothing). So I won't be able to fix this.

Additionally, the Antonia expression pack and the Laura 3 morph pack in CR2Diff format are up now.
    Note: You don't need to download the software separately, it is included in each morph pack.

Happy holidays to all!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Happy Holidays to you - and thank you!

edited December 1969

So just download from the first pages link then?

• edited December 1969

Yes, the Antonia morph pack and the standalone program have still the the same links.

edited December 1969

Thank you for clarifying! :-)