Gallery Winners

Comments

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 558
    edited December 1969

I was going to start putting more pictures in my gallery but I've changed my mind. I've taken all my picture down here in protest of only half naked women being picked as winners. I'll make a gallery somewhere else.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,438
    edited December 1969

Vanguard said:
    Hellboy said:
    Sorel said:
    Was there really no third place this week? ._.

There was 3 winning images as always, but the image with the guy on it was ignored (second place image).

Sorry to be an idiot, but was there an announcement on 1st, 2nd, third? How do we know what placed where?

They told me I got second place by mail.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567
    edited December 1969

Congratulations! =)

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,075
    edited December 1969

I guess the winning renders says a LOT about the judges... DIRTY OLE' MEN!!! lol (I wish I could mute the silly banner with the winners.. not to fond of butts in my face... No offence to the winners.. just not my cup o' tea :) )

Happy rendering everyone!

ps... This thread is making me upset whenever I read it so I am UNwatching it... catch you all at DeviantArt :) Have a Merry Christmas!

• VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Vanguard said:
    Hellboy said:
    Sorel said:

There was 3 winning images as always, but the image with the guy on it was ignored (second place image).

Sorry to be an idiot, but was there an announcement on 1st, 2nd, third? How do we know what placed where?

Ah, congratulations.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were complaining about.

You aren't complaining that pictures of guys don't win (you have won twice now, right?), you are complaining that your picture of a guy wasn't included in the rotating banner when you won, so your advice is to do pictures of women if having them included in the rotating banner is important to you.

Thanks for the advice.

edited December 2013

Vanguard said:
    Hellboy said:
    Vanguard said:
    Hellboy said:
    Sorel said:

Ah, congratulations.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were complaining about.

You aren't complaining that pictures of guys don't win (you have won twice now, right?), you are complaining that your picture of a guy wasn't included in the rotating banner when you won, so your advice is to do pictures of women if having them included in the rotating banner is important to you.

Thanks for the advice.

Exactly! That's right.
    Except I'm really not complaining, but i know it reads like that. I'm grateful for the 2nd place and I think they can put or not what they want in their site even if I think they could also handle it in a better way. :)

Post edited by Soto on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

llolalane said:
    I guess the winning renders says a LOT about the judges... DIRTY OLE' MEN!!! lol (I wish I could mute the silly banner with the winners.. not to fond of butts in my face... No offence to the winners.. just not my cup o' tea :) )

ps... This thread is making me upset whenever I read it so I am UNwatching it... catch you all at DeviantArt :) Have a Merry Christmas!

whats bad about dirty ?
    whats bad about old ?
    whats bad about men ?

i would like to have a Compilation of the winnerpics somewhere
    then we could analyse

• SkatingJesusSkatingJesus Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

I've been told about my win by email, just 2 days ago.
    Thanks again for that, I'm really proud and thankul for it! :D

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 2013

ruphuss said:
    llolalane said:

whats bad about dirty ?
    whats bad about old ?
    whats bad about men ?

i would like to have a Compilation of the winnerpics somewhere
    then we could analyse

Select the Most Popular of All Time tab in the gallery. I think all the winners are on the first page. Granted I'm listing these by memory of who I remember as the winners:

The Lair
    Tears of sorrow
    The Extinguisher
    Meeting at Grissom Academy
    Afraid
    Pink Rebel
    Want some, Jack?
    Skin Study 01
    A soothing touch
    Chrissie The Archer 001
    Morning Eagle
    The Last Dawn
    The Bog Shamon

(Hellboy's second win?)

Post edited by Graze on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

Exactly! That's right.
    Except I'm really not complaining, but i know it reads like that. I'm grateful for the 2nd place and I think they can put or not what they want in their site even if I think they could also handle it in a better way. :)

You have every right to complain, you have EVERY right to be displayed equally- all three images are supposed to be featured in that rotating gallery. You were SECOND PLACE, not even third place? This is a discriminatory practice, and after ALL the hoopla last week of women with butts in our faces, the VERY next week they omit the render of the man that won- after SUCH a big discussion of that? Wow.

Such blatant disregard of a such a fine artist and literally giving him a slap in the face.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Hellboy said:

Exactly! That's right.

You have every right to complain, you have EVERY right to be displayed equally- all three images are supposed to be featured in that rotating gallery. You were SECOND PLACE, not even third place? This is a discriminatory practice, and after ALL the hoopla last week of women with butts in our faces, the VERY next week they omit the render of the man that won- after SUCH a big discussion of that? Wow.

Such blatant disregard of a such a fine artist and literally giving him a slap in the face.

They put "risque" images up last week and were criticized for it. My guess is they're probably just being a bit more careful this time about what goes on the rotating banner.

Congrats to the winners, though...great work all of you!

edited December 2013

My reduced shopping cart says it all. I have not even SEEN Hellboy's image, but if it won, IT WON.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I'm assuming it's this one (based on the date): http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/14460

edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing the image. I understand the hesitancy, I really do- but his anatomy is just as covered as the women were. They had suggestive poses just like he does. And the male anatomy isn't any more risque than what was shoved in our faces TWICE last week, so changing their policy now? If they're going to (and I would strongly recommend it needs to be family friendly, that's been my stance on ALL the gallery rotating banners) needs to be stated and enforced. This "well, we won't show THIS one" doesn't cut it. Be consistent.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,032
    edited December 1969

llolalane said:
    llolalane said:
    llolalane said:
    I'm quite disappointed in the whole gallery thing... I can see why DAZ gave it up way back when... I thought it was supposed to be our BEST work??? People are throwing things in the gallery like there's no tomorrow... I don't believe WIPs are BEST work, and if it is, then I'd not like to see their worst work. I've been working for hours trying to weed through my best art to display... and it doesn't seem appreciated. It's hard to compete with 100s of renders being added per hour that are duplicates and not even BEST works. I also DON"T think a series of renders should be added as BEST... PICK ONEEEEEEEEE for goodness sake and live with it. Seeing the same background 20times with different poses isn't going to make me like your work any better... In fact.. It reeeeeeally turns me off to the artist. Boy I'm a stinker these days... lol... anyway.. another of MY opinions.. for what it's worth. Happy Holidays everyone.. ho ho ho.. and all!

not quite. there are no criteria for uploading into your own gallery other than not violating the tos.

the "best work" part is the criteria for eligibility into the weekly contest. (edit: or that's how i interpret it. daz seems to interpret their contest differently)

Expl.. you just proved my point... if you read the box it says... "fill it with your very best renders" it does not say fill it with WIPs... Series of renders.. etc.. its supposed to be a gallery of our VERY BEST RENDERS!

ahhh ...... but at the top of the box in big letters it says "gallery contest" .

some people are just putting stuff in their gallery not necessarily for the contest, as i've seen non-3d work uploaded here such as http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/6281

i don't think there's any rules that say what you upload into your gallery even have to be made with a 3d software. this just won't be eligible for the contest. but who know? maybe a judge will pick it. lol.

Since Daz is providing us with ONLY ... ONE... Gallery... as I stated... and it shows in the box... FILL IT WITH YOUR BEST.... RENDERS... Not drawings... not fractals.. RENDERS!!! I agree Expl... that DRAWING should NOT be in the gallery.. it was not RENDERED... But without someone monitoring the gallery... it's still a free for all!!! :( People don't read or listen to the rules... or interpret and twist the rules to their own way of thinking.. to me it's plain and simple... MAKE A GALLERY... and... FILL IT WITH YOUR... BEST... RENDERS! And that is what I will continue to do with mine :) Happy Holidays!
    Since it was my work that was given as an example of what shouldn't be in the Gallery, I feel I need to address the issue.
    My 2D works are in a separate gallery from my 3D renders, entitled Digital Paintings. I knew that they wouldn't be considered for the Contest. My intention was to share them with those enjoy such artwork/illustration.
    Since the emphasis has been on the word "Render" I'd like to let those who might be too young to remember that art existed before 3D Rendering programs. Prior to that, an artist's work was often said to be "rendered" and is still referred to being rendered by hand. Programs such as Painter and Photoshop have become the new digital media for those who wish to create by hand, with the flexibility of being able to alter images without starting over with a new canvas.
    Now let's establish a bit of criteria here.
    First let's remove any images that have been post-worked in an image editor, as they have been altered from the original render. This would include images that were cropped, sized, had any filter work or any of Ron's Brushes used on them. I guess even a signature and date (although one could put that on a plane and insert it before pushing the Render button) would also be a no-no.
    So how many images are left in the Gallery?
    No offense meant, and none taken. I'm 60 yo and I've seen a lot of anti-computer art bias of all kinds. For me it's become the way that things are. But it never stops me from doing what I enjoy. My advice to everyone else is to do the same. The only one you have to please with your art is you. Winning competitions is nice, I have done that. But creating is its own reward.
    Thanks for reading,
    John

edited December 2013

Novica said:
    Thanks for sharing the image. I understand the hesitancy, I really do- but his anatomy is just as covered as the women were. They had suggestive poses just like he does. And the male anatomy isn't any more risque than what was shoved in our faces TWICE last week, so changing their policy now? If they're going to (and I would strongly recommend it needs to be family friendly, that's been my stance on ALL the gallery rotating banners) needs to be stated and enforced. This "well, we won't show THIS one" doesn't cut it. Be consistent.

I think the objection might be to what some might consider "tumescence".
    Personally (although the other two winners are great work) I think it should have taken first place.
    Opinions, opinions... :)
    Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

For the record, I totally loved the girl’s butts. It’s awesome to be received with a sexy image when visiting the site. I hope that doesn’t change, even if it’s just girls the ones showing up there. But that’s me caring only about me, not kids or impressionable people.

Mr Leong said:
    (Hellboy's second win?)
    Probably the one in the link, but who knows? All I got was a mail with a coupon for a second place in the gallery. But it makes sense it’s not in the "Most Popular of All Time" renders among the other winners. If it’s not shown in the shop's banner, no one will even know it exists.

Personally (although the other two winners are great work) I think it should have taken first place.

Thanks! I'm very grateful for a second place, and a bit surprised they even consider it. :gulp:
    That’s awesome.

Thanks Novica too :)

edited December 1969

You're welcome. Now go find those sexy gal renders. You crack me up.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

when looking at this render my first reaction:
    wow that Looks damn real and i like it very much
    whats the magic?

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/14927

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 2013

tjohn said:
    llolalane said:
    llolalane said:
    llolalane said:
    I'm quite disappointed in the whole gallery thing... I can see why DAZ gave it up way back when... I thought it was supposed to be our BEST work??? People are throwing things in the gallery like there's no tomorrow... I don't believe WIPs are BEST work, and if it is, then I'd not like to see their worst work. I've been working for hours trying to weed through my best art to display... and it doesn't seem appreciated. It's hard to compete with 100s of renders being added per hour that are duplicates and not even BEST works. I also DON"T think a series of renders should be added as BEST... PICK ONEEEEEEEEE for goodness sake and live with it. Seeing the same background 20times with different poses isn't going to make me like your work any better... In fact.. It reeeeeeally turns me off to the artist. Boy I'm a stinker these days... lol... anyway.. another of MY opinions.. for what it's worth. Happy Holidays everyone.. ho ho ho.. and all!

not quite. there are no criteria for uploading into your own gallery other than not violating the tos.

the "best work" part is the criteria for eligibility into the weekly contest. (edit: or that's how i interpret it. daz seems to interpret their contest differently)

Expl.. you just proved my point... if you read the box it says... "fill it with your very best renders" it does not say fill it with WIPs... Series of renders.. etc.. its supposed to be a gallery of our VERY BEST RENDERS!

ahhh ...... but at the top of the box in big letters it says "gallery contest" .

some people are just putting stuff in their gallery not necessarily for the contest, as i've seen non-3d work uploaded here such as http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/6281

i don't think there's any rules that say what you upload into your gallery even have to be made with a 3d software. this just won't be eligible for the contest. but who know? maybe a judge will pick it. lol.

Since Daz is providing us with ONLY ... ONE... Gallery... as I stated... and it shows in the box... FILL IT WITH YOUR BEST.... RENDERS... Not drawings... not fractals.. RENDERS!!! I agree Expl... that DRAWING should NOT be in the gallery.. it was not RENDERED... But without someone monitoring the gallery... it's still a free for all!!! :( People don't read or listen to the rules... or interpret and twist the rules to their own way of thinking.. to me it's plain and simple... MAKE A GALLERY... and... FILL IT WITH YOUR... BEST... RENDERS! And that is what I will continue to do with mine :) Happy Holidays!
    Since it was my work that was given as an example of what shouldn't be in the Gallery, I feel I need to address the issue.
    My 2D works are in a separate gallery from my 3D renders, entitled Digital Paintings. I knew that they wouldn't be considered for the Contest. My intention was to share them with those enjoy such artwork/illustration.
    Since the emphasis has been on the word "Render" I'd like to let those who might be too young to remember that art existed before 3D Rendering programs. Prior to that, an artist's work was often said to be "rendered" and is still referred to being rendered by hand. Programs such as Painter and Photoshop have become the new digital media for those who wish to create by hand, with the flexibility of being able to alter images without starting over with a new canvas.
    Now let's establish a bit of criteria here.
    First let's remove any images that have been post-worked in an image editor, as they have been altered from the original render. This would include images that were cropped, sized, had any filter work or any of Ron's Brushes used on them. I guess even a signature and date (although one could put that on a plane and insert it before pushing the Render button) would also be a no-no.
    So how many images are left in the Gallery?
    No offense meant, and none taken. I'm 60 yo and I've seen a lot of anti-computer art bias of all kinds. For me it's become the way that things are. But it never stops me from doing what I enjoy. My advice to everyone else is to do the same. The only one you have to please with your art is you. Winning competitions is nice, I have done that. But creating is its own reward.
    Thanks for reading,
    John

Not all of us are too young. Some of us even attained out MFA's in the days before apps like Photoshop and Painter even existed. Some contests do not permit post work. If that were the case with this gallery contest, then yes, any that were post worked should be excluded. But that's not the case. The definition of render has changed since the days of oils and canvas, charcoal and paper. I work a graphics house. Those who handle 2D work have a different definition of render than those who work in 3D. There is even a subtle difference in the 3D end between those who do stills and those who do animation.

Since DAZ is predominately a 3D content provider, when users here see the term render, they tend toward the 3D end.

Post edited by icprncss on
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    when looking at this render my first reaction:
    wow that Looks damn real and i like it very much
    whats the magic?

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/14927

Thanks for your very appreciated comment.
    I used for this picture the "Reality2 / Luxrender" plug-in. It takes age to render a good picture, but the final result is far better that what you can expect with the classic Daz light system.
    Only problem for now is that it's doesn't use yet the subsurface function of skin textures.

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,134
    edited December 1969

Ayrton, congratulations on the success of your render. But why don't you change your username here to 'SkatingJesus'? I can't imagine it's been taken by anyone else! Drop Richard Haseltine a PM and I'm sure he'll do the honours. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Cayman said:
    Ayrton, congratulations on the success of your render. But why don't you change your username here to 'SkatingJesus'? I can't imagine it's been taken by anyone else! Drop Richard Haseltine a PM and I'm sure he'll do the honours. :coolsmile:

I will!

And thanks for your message!

edited December 1969

¿Someone knows when do coupons expire? I contacted support but didn't got an answer.

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    ¿Someone knows when do coupons expire? I contacted support but didn't got an answer.

The prize I won from Daz showed up in my Store Credit. It may be different now.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That happens in a forum contest. The Gallery ones are coupons, not GCs.

• Jewel DesignsJewel Designs Posts: 1,467
    edited December 1969

Are there no winners this week. I see none on the scrolling banner.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,627
    edited December 1969

...have they discontinued the contest?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,996
    edited December 1969

Naw, but there were only scantily clad guys as top three this week, so... ;-)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,627
    edited December 2013

...meh, "family friendly" and all the wins is skin.

Put a lot of work into my first and only submission . Guess she was "overdressed".

Post edited by kyoto kid on