BatchRender Time

rustajrustaj Posts: 33

Hey Folks! I have been using the Batch Render DS RIB to render a series of images over night/while I’m at work. Over the weekend I thought I’d test it out more thoroughly and I found I was able to render a single image—through the normally mechanics—in about 30 minutes, while the batch render got to about 30% in three hours. I noticed that a single image render stayed with the GPU, while the BatchRender switched over to the CPU. Is there anything I can do to speed the BatchRender along. Is there a way to change the image, so it stays using GPU? Or am I completely missing something. It’s not too big a deal as long as I can get the renders done over night, but if it could be done quicker that wouldn’t be a terrible thing!

for reference, I’m using a GTX 1050 TI.

Post edited by rustaj on

Comments

• NecriseyeNecriseye Posts: 44

I'm having a similar issue where the first image of an image series renders just fine, but subsequecent renders only achieve about 25 percent. For example I started a series render on one of my projects and it rendered the first image of the sequence up to 145 iterations, then the following images would be lucky to reach 40 iterations...

not sure if this is just a problem with my machine or not. I know the graphics card quits out and switches to CPU when you use to much memory in your scene. But I've had less problems with image series on my old rig with only 4GB of memory vs my new system with 8GB. I know for a fact it doesn't take long for a scene to reach 4gpu memory with just a few characters and an environment. You gotta really go in and optimize everything.
    Just a question but are you using the public build?

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Batch render is meant for 3Delight. If the preview image is not closed the scenestays loaded in the graphics card VRAM which will fill up on a subsequent render and cause it to fall back to CPU. To do the same thing in Iray you want the render queue

https://www.daz3d.com/render-queue

• rustajrustaj Posts: 33

Batch render is meant for 3Delight. If the preview image is not closed the scenestays loaded in the graphics card VRAM which will fill up on a subsequent render and cause it to fall back to CPU. To do the same thing in Iray you want the render queue

For some reason I thought BatchRender now accounts for IRay, but I see that it jumps directly to CPU (even if the page could normally be handled by GPU alone).

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    rustaj said:

For some reason I thought BatchRender now accounts for IRay, but I see that it jumps directly to CPU (even if the page could normally be handled by GPU alone).

Yeah, the key is the "RIB" in "Batch Render DS RIB". It's short for "RenderMan Interface Bytestream" ( RenderMan Refernce ). It was developed to make it easy to ship a render off to a render farm node. The Render Queue product Ken linked will help you out for Iray.

Good to know, thanks for clarifying!

Now to wait until it goes on sale....

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    edited June 2019
    rustaj said:

Good to know, thanks for clarifying!

Now to wait until it goes on sale....

I'm waiting for that too :)

I have Batch Render, but sometimes it falls to the CPU, and if I want to stop it I have to forcely close Daz, and it doesn't wait until the hair are properly fit, and it doesn't turn off my PC, and it doesn't tell me how long a render needed to finish...

Post edited by LenioTG on

If you make money from Daz and ever need to produce multiple renders the $25 for it is entirely worth. it basically doubled my productivity.

• TojiroTojiro Posts: 61

I have it, it's a great plugin.  Does anyone know if there's a way to have it save as .jpg instead of .png though?

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549
    banpei said:

I have it, it's a great plugin.  Does anyone know if there's a way to have it save as .jpg instead of .png though?

I have put that on the feature list for the upgrade that I've been wanting to release for a long time. Hopefully I'll get that out next week.

At the encouragement of this thread, I went ahead and got the Render Queue, and it worked perfectly...one time. When I tried to use it a second time I got a fatal error along the lines of “ACCESS_VIOLATION” and referenced the render plugin. The error occurs once it gets to step four, the actual rendering part. Not sure why it would work once but not a second time—I didn’t particularly change anything from one to the other. The Render Queue mentions Daz 4.5, should I get this to use it? I have Windows 7 64 bits.

Any help would be appreciated!

Have you rebooted and tried again? Also you should check your drives to make sure they aren't full access violation errors are usually something in the OS or hardware.

Have you rebooted and tried again? Also you should check your drives to make sure they aren't full access violation errors are usually something in the OS or hardware.

Yep, uninstalled/reinstalled, tried it in admin mode, updated the drivers. Should I be doing something beyond updating them (through NVIDIA)?

I'm getting this message "DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzirayrenderer.dll"

Any thoughts?

Access violations are almost always caused by trying to read or write to memory that the program isn't supposed to. That could be caused by a mismatch in versions between something somewhere or your HDD/SSD being nearly full. Or any number of other things.

Get DDU do a full uninstall of the graphics driver and install a new one fresh from Nvidia.

Run Memtest abd make sure your system RAM isn't failing.

Check your drives to be sure they're not full and then run a disk health test on all your drives.

If you don't finmd a cause and the problem persists you're going to need to check with Daz CS and maybe have a tech look over your machine

Access violations are almost always caused by trying to read or write to memory that the program isn't supposed to. That could be caused by a mismatch in versions between something somewhere or your HDD/SSD being nearly full. Or any number of other things.

Get DDU do a full uninstall of the graphics driver and install a new one fresh from Nvidia.

Check your drives to be sure they're not full and then run a disk health test on all your drives.

If you don't finmd a cause and the problem persists you're going to need to check with Daz CS and maybe have a tech look over your machine

Wow! Thank you for the insight. I’ve got a lot of troubleshooting for tonight.

I have the majority of my Daz execution files on one HDD and then my scene files are on a different drive. Could this be causing trouble?

rustaj said:

Wow! Thank you for the insight. I’ve got a lot of troubleshooting for tonight.

I have the majority of my Daz execution files on one HDD and then my scene files are on a different drive. Could this be causing trouble?

It shouldn't I store all my assets on a local RAID array and my WIP scenes in dropbox. 

• I have been using Batch Render for DAZ Studio 4 and RIB https://www.daz3d.com/batch-render-for-daz-studio-4-and-rib for years with 4.10 and now 4.11, only with iRay, without any problem. I can leave it for a few days doing 100s of renders without the vram getting clogged. Just FYI...

It was made when only 3Delight was available, so you cannot make any changes to iRay settings from its control panle, BUT, it will render with whatever iRay settings you saved the file with. For me it works perfectly.

I have been using Batch Render for DAZ Studio 4 and RIB https://www.daz3d.com/batch-render-for-daz-studio-4-and-rib for years with 4.10 and now 4.11, only with iRay, without any problem. I can leave it for a few days doing 100s of renders without the vram getting clogged. Just FYI...

It was made when only 3Delight was available, so you cannot make any changes to iRay settings from its control panle, BUT, it will render with whatever iRay settings you saved the file with. For me it works perfectly.

You must be doing tiny scenes on a GPU with lots of VRAM. I couldn't get 2 renders out of it before it dropped to CPU every single time.

• Veronica MaggioVeronica Maggio Posts: 45
    edited July 2019

I have been using Batch Render for DAZ Studio 4 and RIB https://www.daz3d.com/batch-render-for-daz-studio-4-and-rib for years with 4.10 and now 4.11, only with iRay, without any problem. I can leave it for a few days doing 100s of renders without the vram getting clogged. Just FYI...

You must be doing tiny scenes on a GPU with lots of VRAM. I couldn't get 2 renders out of it before it dropped to CPU every single time.

I don't know why it is not working for you but I'm sure it cannot have anything to do with the batch render as it doesn't change any settings at all.

I have two 1080 TI and are always near the limit for vram (when I get above I start to delete normal, bump and displasement maps) I have had numerous scenes with up to 5 G8-characters and the other day I set my personal record with 23 V4 including hairs, props etc in the same scene. So no, big scenes work just fine with the batch renderer.

Also, keep in mind that "Batch Render for DAZ Studio 4 and RIB" do not make any changes to the settings, it cannot do that....!

EDIT: Note that I don't have "Monitor Render" enabled. I remember that I had that enabled in the beginning and that caused the memory to run  out as it doesn't close the windows. After a 10 renders you will have 10 open windows and that eats up the memory (my guess is that it eats up RAM, rather than VRAM). That can be what causes your problems.

Post edited by Veronica Maggio on

So here's an exciting new update: I've run health tests and unistalled the graphics card. On a whim, I tried to install it on my laptop, and it ran (relatively for a laptop) fine. A big thing was that on my desktop once installed the ManFriday application turns my entire UI gray, rather than black. Makes everything rather difficult to read and navigate--didn't realize this wasn't purposeful until my laptop installed it just fine. 

rustaj said:

So here's an exciting new update: I've run health tests and unistalled the graphics card. On a whim, I tried to install it on my laptop, and it ran (relatively for a laptop) fine. A big thing was that on my desktop once installed the ManFriday application turns my entire UI gray, rather than black. Makes everything rather difficult to read and navigate--didn't realize this wasn't purposeful until my laptop installed it just fine. 

That sounds like an issue with 4.11. You should contact Daz and tell them your exact HW setup.