How to keep dForce cloth from falling through a chair?

Hi -

I have searched high and low, but can't find a solution. I have a model sitting in a chair with an open bottom, and though the fabric sims fine on the model, it falls through the chair seat. The chair is visible to the sim, so can this "fall through" condition be alleviated?

Thank you!

Comments

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

If you view it in wireframe, you'll notice it probably doesn't have much division.

You can create a primitive plane with more division, place it at the level of the seat, and sim. Then hide the plane.

• RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,029
    Toonces said:

If you view it in wireframe, you'll notice it probably doesn't have much division.

You can create a primitive plane with more division, place it at the level of the seat, and sim. Then hide the plane.

The chair is curved, so I tried converting it to subD and maxing to 3. Doesn't seem to make any difference. I'll try it with a plane.

edited May 2019

Made a plane with division of 10. Sadly, there's no difference. I'm out of ideas. Also, I'm not clear on whether I should be fitting a dForce garment to G3/8F, or just parrenting to the waist in the case of a skirt. That might be part of the issue.

Post edited by RenderPretender on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    masi3vee said:

Made a plane with division of 10. Sadly, there's no difference. I'm out of ideas.

Doesn't sound like enough division to be much good-I think I use division 50 or something like that when I use a plane for dforceable to land on.

Odaa said:
    masi3vee said:

Made a plane with division of 10. Sadly, there's no difference. I'm out of ideas.

Doesn't sound like enough division to be much good-I think I use division 50 or something like that when I use a plane for dforceable to land on.

Thanks, I'll try that.

masi3vee said:
    Odaa said:
    masi3vee said:

Thanks, I'll try that.

Nope. Made a plane with div of 50 and the fabric just ignores it. I'm stumped.

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Parenting doesn't matter and subD is ignored by dForce.

At least it's colliding with the model/figure. I suppose you could duplicate the model and scale/position a part of it's body to roughly match the chair's seat in scene placement and use your figure as your collision object (or anything really that the fabric can successfully collide with), then hide/delete the thing used for collision purposes.

I think there is a parameter that turns collision off for an object but it should be on by default, so your experience is a bit strange.

Toonces said:

Parenting doesn't matter and subD is ignored by dForce.

At least it's colliding with the model/figure. I suppose you could duplicate the model and scale/position a part of it's body to roughly match the chair's seat in scene placement and use your figure as your collision object (or anything really that the fabric can successfully collide with), then hide/delete the thing used for collision purposes.

I think there is a parameter that turns collision off for an object but it should be on by default, so your experience is a bit strange.

Thank you, and that's a good idea. I am using a different chaise lounge now, and having success. For some reason, the garment seemed to hate the original chair. Thank you for your help, all.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Funny thing is, I see the same on occasions, but I have a floor plane, which is 2 metres square and it never has issues; even though it has just 4 verts.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited May 2019

Wonders if the face normals on the chair seat are flipped and facing backwards...

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566
    AllenArt said:

Wonders if the face normals on the chair seat are flipped and facing backwards...

Laurie

was thinking the same. I have the odd issue with things not working as well with dforce and not "seeing" the object.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,513

This may be the worst suggestion you have ever heard but if I couldn't fix it I would dump the chair.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554

Often with dynamics the reason things don't collide is because of mesh resolution, but it sounds like you've already tried subD on the chair - You could try converting the the chair to a static dynamic surface to see if that helps dForce recognise it as a collider?