Who is the beautiful girl used by Goldtassel in promo pics that looks like Felicity Jones?

Citizen KaneCitizen Kane Posts: 16
edited May 2019 in The Commons
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

This character is not a commercial product, she's a custom figure used by the promo artist.

The general consensus is that she's a modified version of character Osuine, available at Renderosity.

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 792
    I love how popular she is. I've seen so many ask about her. She certainly catches one's attention.
  • Citizen KaneCitizen Kane Posts: 16
    edited May 2019
    Leana said:

This character is not a commercial product, she's a custom figure used by the promo artist.

The general consensus is that she's a modified version of character Osuine, available at Renderosity.

Really? I wouldn't have thought so... but I imagine there is a massive work with Zbrush or various morphs from the shop.

GlenWebb said:
    I love how popular she is. I've seen so many ask about her. She certainly catches one's attention.

Strange. Yet, before opening a new discussion, I used various search parameters on Google, but I didn't find any discussion about this. Anyway, where can I read them? It might seem useless, but I am very interested in seeing this kind of thing.

Edit: In any case, it would be really interesting try to ask Goldtassel. But I imagine that many have already done it, and maybe he will not answer if I ask him too.

Post edited by Citizen Kane on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    She is indeed eye catching, this has to be the 3rd or 4th or maybe 5th time I've seen this question asked and there's probably been more than that hidden in the catacombs of these forums.
  • mr clammr clam Posts: 707

Just do a forum search for "Goldtassel". Every other hit is a thread about that model.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

try here.

• Wow, the search for Daz works better than Google one. Great.

In any case, I was also thinking of another thing: maybe it looks so attractive in the final render, but I wonder if the model is actually good. I won't mention the names of the authors and the products, but I've seen a lot of final renderings in the store and the models used for these picturees, and you know what? I didn't believe it was possible that such horrible models would look so good in rendering. I mean... I don't know if it's a fad or something, but now all the female models seem to have a flat face as if a press had passed over it. The forehead protrudes outwards, the nose towards the inside. Sometimes they have their heads completely deformed, as if they were taken with hammer blows on their heads and so on. So in the end I started thinking that it was foolish to buy third-party characters and then find out that they appeared, but not really, to be decent with textures and final rendering. So, I wonder if this model too is or not the result of good rendering and textures.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    Leana said:

Really? I wouldn't have thought so... but I imagine there is a massive work with Zbrush or various morphs from the shop.

It might just be her textures with a custom morph.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,823
    Leana said:
    Leana said:

It might just be her textures with a custom morph.

I believe so, yes.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

There was some email flyer today for a Bernedette 8 character that looks like that character.

There was some email flyer today for a Bernedette 8 character that looks like that character.

No, there was a PC Newsletter plugging the Bernadette Hair (one of today's new items) which is also by Goldtassel, and so uses the same character to showcase the hair.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited May 2019

Wow, the search for Daz works better than Google one. Great.

In any case, I was also thinking of another thing: maybe it looks so attractive in the final render, but I wonder if the model is actually good. I won't mention the names of the authors and the products, but I've seen a lot of final renderings in the store and the models used for these picturees, and you know what? I didn't believe it was possible that such horrible models would look so good in rendering. I mean... I don't know if it's a fad or something, but now all the female models seem to have a flat face as if a press had passed over it. The forehead protrudes outwards, the nose towards the inside. Sometimes they have their heads completely deformed, as if they were taken with hammer blows on their heads and so on. So in the end I started thinking that it was foolish to buy third-party characters and then find out that they appeared, but not really, to be decent with textures and final rendering. So, I wonder if this model too is or not the result of good rendering and textures.

MOST of the time, odd looking faces are because the person that rendered them used a default camera and didn't change the camera settings for closeups. This distorts the final image causing foreshortening and stretching of features.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557
    AllenArt said:

MOST of the time, odd looking faces are because the person that rendered them used a default camera and didn't change the camera settings for closeups. This distorts the final image causing foreshortening and stretching of features.

Laurie

This. It's naive to look at a promo image and think that when you purchase the product that it will render just like the promo image. Way too many factors can change the look completely, especially if it's a celebrity type lookalike.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730
    AllenArt said:

So how do you find the correct setting for a particular render?

Taoz said:
    AllenArt said:

Try a focal length around 100 or so

Taoz said:
    AllenArt said:

Try a focal length around 100 or so

Is that a good all-purpose setting, or more for close-ups?

• SangriartSangriart Posts: 28

That's for the reference altough Daz camera settings may differ from the real ones. 120-150 is usually fine for a head-only closeup, 100-120 - for a bust.

Sangriart said:

That's for the reference altough Daz camera settings may differ from the real ones. 120-150 is usually fine for a head-only closeup, 100-120 - for a bust.

Thanks! Would be handy with an auto option in DS so it would automatically adjust to the distance of the selected object, if that's possible.

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,902
    Taoz said:
    AllenArt said:

When I shoot films, on close ups I use a focal length generally at 75mm, if I want a lot of DOF I'll go up to 120 or even 150mm, but most of the time I use 75 for close up shots. I'll stick to a lower lens around 20 or so when I need a nice wide shot, or like with the show I'm doing now we're in this small room most of the time so most of the shots I'm using a 14mm lens otherwise I can't get a shot of the whole scene lol. The thing I love about Daz is how close to being on a real set it is in regards to setting up the camera and lights for Iray, so head to Barnes and Nobles or the library and pick up a photography or filmmaking book and you'll learn so much that you can utilize in your art here in Daz! 

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I just learned something new!  I rarelly play around with focul length settings which explains a lot now...  Thanks everyone.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,685

Nobody mentioned that joelegecko did the promo render.

edited May 2019

For closeups (which usually includes the head and part of the shoulders/chest), I use between 90 and 120mm, depending.

FWIW, folks doing portrait renders and not changing the camera settings is pretty common by just a browse thru the galleries, so I figure most people don't even know to do it. I starting doing it in Poser years ago because I had a friend who was a photographer and he clued me in.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    AllenArt said:

For closeups (which usually includes the head and part of the shoulders/chest), I use between 90 and 120mm, depending.

FWIW, folks doing portrait renders and not changing the camera settings is pretty common by just a browse thru the galleries, so I figure most people don't even know to do it. I starting doing it in Poser years ago because I had a friend who was a photographer and he clued me in.

Laurie

Its not exactly something Daz Studio clues users in to.
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Its not exactly something Daz Studio clues users in to.

I don't think Daz Studio clues anyone into much, does it? LOL It would be fabulous to be able to RTFM...if there were one ;).

Laurie

Taoz said:
    AllenArt said:

When I shoot films, on close ups I use a focal length generally at 75mm, if I want a lot of DOF I'll go up to 120 or even 150mm, but most of the time I use 75 for close up shots. I'll stick to a lower lens around 20 or so when I need a nice wide shot, or like with the show I'm doing now we're in this small room most of the time so most of the shots I'm using a 14mm lens otherwise I can't get a shot of the whole scene lol. The thing I love about Daz is how close to being on a real set it is in regards to setting up the camera and lights for Iray, so head to Barnes and Nobles or the library and pick up a photography or filmmaking book and you'll learn so much that you can utilize in your art here in Daz! 

Thanks. I've actually taken a lot of photos with different cameras but never really been concerned with this before, but maybe it's worth looking into.

Taoz said:
    AllenArt said:

Is that with a full-frame camera or a cropped frame? The latter have an effectively higher focal-length as they are using only the iner area, for my camera the multiplier is supposedly 1.6.

Here is the cameral focal distance in practice. The mm I used are at the bottom. Personally, I prefer the middle one (although I may have gone 95mm), because the features aren't as pulled toward the camera as the 65mm or pushed as flat as the 120mm (which I feel has gone too far the other direction). Of course, as in everything, all that is highly subjective. Some of you might not even see a difference, though I see a huge difference.

Laurie

Camera-Focal-Length.jpg
    2000 x 808 - 345K
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    Taoz said:
    AllenArt said:

Is that with a full-frame camera or a cropped frame? The latter have an effectively higher focal-length as they are using only the iner area, for my camera the multiplier is supposedly 1.6.

Yeah, that's the fun part of working with digital cameras.  The trusty "normal" lens you had on your film SLR for years is suddenly a moderate lelephoto and your 28mm wide angle is now barely wide at all. ;/     

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Best "Where can I find Goldtassel promo character?" thread ever. Original poster has done their homework; noticed that the character they like appears across promo art for several hairstyles by the same PA, includes a good picture of her, and makes a respectful sounding case for why the character appeals to them. (Back in the Generation 4/Genesis 1 era, some of the Search for "Goldtassel Promo Character" threads were downright creepy.)

Answers offer some guidance about where and what the buyable part of the character is. (Not uncommon anymore, but before Goldtassel switched to G8 and Osuine, we didn't even have that much info to share).

Even better, we got a lesson in focal lengths for portrait photography/rendering! Yay!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited May 2019
    AllenArt said:

Here is the cameral focal distance in practice. The mm I used are at the bottom. Personally, I prefer the middle one (although I may have gone 95mm), because the features aren't as pulled toward the camera as the 65mm or pushed as flat as the 120mm (which I feel has gone too far the other direction). Of course, as in everything, all that is highly subjective. Some of you might not even see a difference, though I see a huge difference.

Laurie

I was aware of the portrait/focal-length effect from a previous life, but that series you posted is suprisingly subtle to my eye, and very interesting.

I wonder how much of that kind of sensitivity (or lack of...) accounts for the 'uncanny valley' effect we all feel but can't exactly identify.

thanks for that post/comparison - fascinating.

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on