Wacky Camera Glitch?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

I have this weird problem with cameras  in Daz and moving them for animation shots. If I use the parameters controls for rotation, the axis seems to be off. But if I use the rotate tool and just move the camera with z, y, z, axis the camera starts doing crazy flips.  This feels like a glitch. Anyone else have it?

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

In my experience—with any object, not just cameras—the parameters X, Y, Z are always in relation to World Center, but the widget moves in relation to the object.

That said, are you selecting the camera in the scene and trying to move it with the widget? (I've never tried that, so I don't know what happens.)

I've always moved the cameras by selecting it from the Camera drop-down, (the list that starts with Perspective View,) and then moving it with the tools in the upper right corner. Is this what you are doing when you get the "crazy flips" and such?

Or is this something specific to animations, like KeyMate or GraphMate? (Which I have no experience with beyond using the Timeline for dForce!)

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Deke said:

I have this weird problem with cameras  in Daz and moving them for animation shots. If I use the parameters controls for rotation, the axis seems to be off. But if I use the rotate tool and just move the camera with z, y, z, axis the camera starts doing crazy flips.  This feels like a glitch. Anyone else have it?

Yeah animating the cameras can be tricky. DS can't see the difference between for example -90 and 270 degrees. If you get those "crazy flips" you need to correct the rotation values manually. Often when rotating a camera, suddenly it decides to use 180 for the z value and adjust the other ones, set z value to 0 (or use the same value as the other keyframes) and adjut the others to achieve the same result, and it should work. Yup it's really annoying, but eventually you'll get used to itangry...laugh With the problem camera selected, have the parameters translations pane open and check your keyframes, it's pretty easy to spot where things go wrong.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

You are not alone my friend 

you are pretty much stuck with using the parameter sliders not the viewport controls for setting camera navigation and you need to click keyframe on the timeline every step you take or it will tween any parameters you miss from the previous keyframe and make sure you keyframe the first one before you even start!

Other softwares that autokeyframe viewport navigation as probably 90% do spoil us!

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

Thanks...at least I'm not the only one. I've also noticed that sometimes I can't control a particular rotation axis in the parameters or camera panel. It's like both Y and X axis control the same axis. That's when I resort to the visual controller in the main window...and that results in the camera gymnastics.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Deke said:

Thanks...at least I'm not the only one. I've also noticed that sometimes I can't control a particular rotation axis in the parameters or camera panel. It's like both Y and X axis control the same axis. That's when I resort to the visual controller in the main window...and that results in the camera gymnastics.

If you have an object in your scene that you would like the camera to rotate around, while in camera view, click on that object and then the then the little square with the cross in it in the upper right corner of the viewport,  that will center the camera  on that object and it will become the  center of rotation.