Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

1679111250

Comments

  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

    As I was UVing the loops while this was rendering - the texture on the loops is not right. And I can't bare to re render with the loops - not in this setting.

    Meanwhile I remodelled the cube as all the twists made the surface a nightmare to Unwrap: Pic 1
    This model looks exactly like the twisted one - except the topography is easier to manage.

    I'll get to that when I know what I'll be UVMapping it in...

    In the meantime, for some light relief I got interested in Plankton when resting my neck, as I watched a 'Nature's Microworlds:Svalbard' prog, and so I modelled one of the plankton, here's a first render: Pic 2

    Had a storm yesterday and all the lights went out while I was working so I've only got a few things to say to people, this being what MSWord recovered for me after the storm:

    Dave, those images of Peter do look really good with that nice lilac edging, very wintery. My favourites are the one with the Xmas baubles – the lighting in that is especially good on the highlights and shadows on Peter's throat, and the one where he steals a candy cane – so full of character and the one with the balloons – tired but happy.

    @GussNemo,
    Nice bench, I love rust – this makes the bench almost look ephemeral – as if the slightest touch will have it collapse into dust at your feet.

    @Mermaid,
    So sorry – I think there must be a problem with photobucket, so I've uploaded it to Veoh – it's hardly worth the bother though, it's just a very brief moth, oh well:
    Moth 3rdTimeLucky?
    Warning! don't do like I usually do and keep the tab open – the adverts on Veoh will drive you crackers – and they keep on cycling through, turning the sound back on, even after you've turned it off – arrrrgggghhhh!!!!

    Plankton5.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 79K
    HoleyCubeUnTwisted.jpg
    615 x 589 - 187K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

    @Fran: Take a look at these 2 tutorials: Wings UV Mapping & Wings UV Mapping 2. They're not great quality and don't exactly pertain to your situation, but he does show how to manipulate some complex geometries.

  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

    @user.operator: Thanks. Now that you mention it, it does look like an ocean going bench.

    @Horo: Thank you. Your recent image might be rusty, but it still looks good.

    @mermaid: Appreciate the comment. Love what you've done with the place. Curtains in the first image are great looking, as are the ones in the second image.

    @fencepost: T h a n k y o u .

    Below are two version of my completed rusty park bench scene. Both were rendered using the follow settings:

    Premium
    144 RPP
    6 MRD
    Soft Shadows

    The first image uses default Bryce sun settings, diffuse reduced slightly. The second image was encased in an enlarged sphere set to black. Atmosphere and sun were disabled. Only one radial light was used to provide lighting, diffuse setting adjusted until desired amount reached.

    If you look closely you'll see a floor drain that was made using a cylinder, torus, and cube. The hole is sets in was created using a negative cylinder.

    All of the material used in both scenes came from either 50 Metals The Treppenhalle Set or 50 Metals The Heating Room Set. Mapping on the wall was changed to achieve the look you see. Transparency for the bench rust material was removed to give the benches a more solid look.

    I toyed with several titles for this image, but none seemed quite right. Until "Once Loves' Helpers" schlepped up through the gray matter to float on the surface. So I give you:

    "Once Loves' Helpers"

    Rusty_Room_17_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Rusty_Room_16_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 2013

    these new renders are much better. on the earlier ones, the light was hitting the bench standing up on its side on the left too much, and it almost looked transparent. the rust color of both left benches were kind of disappearing into each other. all of the extra clutter balances the scene out.

    if you textured a large ship the way you did the floors and walls, you could make a nice sunken ship on the bottom of the ocean. maybe throw in a few areas of sediment and aquatic plants/growth, which could contrast the rust colors.

    the drain, maybe needs some altering. wider slits, or a boxy pattern of slits, something to make the gaps actually black.

    Post edited by useroperator on
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

    this is the real "make art" button.

    fgfgddfgf.png
    1229 x 827 - 1M
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

    @user.operator: Thanks. I'm hesitant to make any changes to the floor drain because I'm concerned it will then become a focal point, which is not the direction I was going. That's a nice cup of coffee/tea.

  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,703
    edited December 1969

    @franontheedge - you can UV-map directly in Wings. There's a tutorial on my website I made some time ago. Go to Raytracing > Tutorials > Wings3D > Page 1 > Wings3D: Creating UV Maps.

    @user.operator - a cup of coffee, then.

    @GussNemo - nice rust and verdigris.

  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

    what about that render made it take 4 days?

    I have no idea (appart from TA and stuff like that) Bryce lied to me. Lol! it 'said' it was going to take 18 hours. Hah!

  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

    Horo said:
    @franontheedge - you can UV-map directly in Wings. There's a tutorial on my website I made some time ago. Go to Raytracing > Tutorials > Wings3D > Page 1 > Wings3D: Creating UV Maps.

    @user.operator - a cup of coffee, then.

    @GussNemo - nice rust and verdigris.

    Thank you, but I do know that already, I've been UV mapping in Wings3d for quite some years now - it's just that I can no longer sit at the PC for many hours while manipulating single vert after single vert - or even rows of verts after rows of verts.
    I've had to have physiotherapy for my right arm and neck, and I don't want to have to do that again - the last session of 3 days UVing was pure h£ll!
    I fancied the newer tools available in Blender - like UV sculpt and the 'relax UVs' tool. If I can just figure out hot to use Blender at all. It certainly seems better than it used to anyway.

    That's not a bad tutorial you have there, I think I remember looking at that some long time ago, the mushroom seems familiar. However I think I'd have tried using 'feature detection' on the mushroom cap, it often works quite well on dome shapes or spheres - er, and sometimes it doesn't. Lol.
    Maybe that's a new feature in Wings3d's UVing since that tut was made?

    But thank you for thinking of me.

  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

    @Fran: Take a look at these 2 tutorials: Wings UV Mapping & Wings UV Mapping 2. They're not great quality and don't exactly pertain to your situation, but he does show how to manipulate some complex geometries.

    You're right that it's not exactly what I need - these are good tuts though - if you turn the awful music off. He does it pretty much the same way as I do, I get so tired of flatten verts in X and ditto in Y and constant 'distribute' to even things out all the time. The last 3 days were full of that.

    It's my own fault - I cut the map up into so many pieces that's what made it take so long - but it had to be done like that simply because of the amount of twisting in the mesh. It's not something I'd attempt again. It's not a fault in the mesh - as such, it's simply the way it is.

    However - I did learn something from the 1st of those two vids - I learnt about F6 and F7 - that's a nice neat short-cut. Love them!

  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 2013

    @Horo: Thank you. I really can't take credit for the verdigris, it came from the material you and David created. The only thing I can take credit for is changing the mapping mode which give the look you see.

    user.operator brought to my attention the floor drain openings needed reworked to have a more grill look, if you will. I said I was hesitant reworking it because I was concerned it might become the focal point. Well...I did rework the floor drain, in two ways. In the first image below I simply rotated the floor drain so the slits ran more in line with the camera. In the second image the floor drain slits were all reworked. What I see is six of one, half a dozen of another. They both are an improvement.

    Rusty_Room_18_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Rusty_Room_17_1_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 31,007
    edited December 1969

    GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Thank you. I really can't take credit for the verdigris, it came from the material you and David created. The only thing I can take credit for is changing the mapping mode which give the look you see.

    user.operator brought to my attention the floor drain openings needed reworked to have a more grill look, if you will. I said I was hesitant reworking it because I was concerned it might become the focal point. Well...I did rework the floor drain, in two ways. In the first image below I simply rotated the floor drain so the slits ran more in line with the camera. In the second image the floor drain slits were all reworked. What I see is six of one, half a dozen of another. They both are an improvement.

    The 2nd one the floor drain does suddenly become very apparent, and the eye does tend to go straight to it.

    However that may be because you mentioned it :roll:

  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

    chohole said:
    GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Thank you. I really can't take credit for the verdigris, it came from the material you and David created. The only thing I can take credit for is changing the mapping mode which give the look you see.

    user.operator brought to my attention the floor drain openings needed reworked to have a more grill look, if you will. I said I was hesitant reworking it because I was concerned it might become the focal point. Well...I did rework the floor drain, in two ways. In the first image below I simply rotated the floor drain so the slits ran more in line with the camera. In the second image the floor drain slits were all reworked. What I see is six of one, half a dozen of another. They both are an improvement.

    The 2nd one the floor drain does suddenly become very apparent, and the eye does tend to go straight to it.

    However that may be because you mentioned it :roll:
    I think you're right, Pam. I didn't even see the drain until I saw the comments on it. I did however see all that rust - lovely stuff!

  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,703
    edited December 1969

    I'd say the second drain looks more like the real thing.

  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 2013

    I actually think the first one is alright. the second one is a little too obvious heh. at the very least, the second one needs a border too. I was thinking something more like a lattice pattern though, that way it's not large continuous lines to draw attention. good renders and models are really all about the subtleties. although it's not like the grill was a big deal to begin with.

    gggg.png
    1412 x 872 - 2M
    Post edited by useroperator on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 471
    edited December 2013

    Sorry the tuts weren't helpful, fran. But, you're correct: F6/F7 buttons are great! Sometimes they don't go in the direction you expect, but it certainly is much faster. If you would like me to try to help UV map the texture, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

    Guss: Great renders. IMO, I wouldn't draw any more attention to the drain. It's part of the image, but not the focal point.

    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

    Sorry the tuts weren't helpful, fran. But, you're correct: F6/F7 buttons are great! Sometimes they don't go in the direction you expect, but it certainly is much faster. If you would like me to try to help UV map the texture, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

    Guss: Great renders. IMO, I wouldn't draw any more attention to the drain. It's part of the image, but not the focal point.

    I'm grateful that you thought to post such links. I do keep hoping that there are possibilities in Wings3D's UV Mapping for this model, I do know that there is still a lot of stuff in there that I know nothing about. So I can hope that Wings can accomplish it yet, I know it can be done in Wings, (I've gotten various UV Maps out of it already) but can it be done easily and quickly as well as resulting in a good map?... that's the hard part, getting those 3 things together.

    I'm reluctant to give in as yet, and allow someone else to UVMap it - that would feel a little like giving up.
    But I'll keep your offer in mind, thank you for that.

  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 1,560
    edited December 1969

    I guess this is the place to show some render(s) and get some feedback.
    This is an abstract I created with Bryce. I like the fact that it has so much a layered look. I wanted to save it to HDR and possibly play with Picturenaut to get something more out of it, but it saved only partially. I therefore decided to simply put up this one (I always also save to JPG, just to have at least one). This looks rather hazy, but maybe that is not such a bad thing here.

    Almost completely made with Bryce elements (like pyramids, stones, balls), but one posed snake added too.
    Many more things to test with abstracts like these. Other versions are on Deviantart and Renderosity, if you want to check out.

    If you want to know how I did all this, don't hesitate to ask.

    abstract3c.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 349K
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

    hansmar said:
    I guess this is the place to show some render(s) and get some feedback.
    This is an abstract I created with Bryce. I like the fact that it has so much a layered look. I wanted to save it to HDR and possibly play with Picturenaut to get something more out of it, but it saved only partially. I therefore decided to simply put up this one (I always also save to JPG, just to have at least one). This looks rather hazy, but maybe that is not such a bad thing here.

    Almost completely made with Bryce elements (like pyramids, stones, balls), but one posed snake added too.
    Many more things to test with abstracts like these. Other versions are on Deviantart and Renderosity, if you want to check out.

    If you want to know how I did all this, don't hesitate to ask.

    what exactly were you going for?

  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

    @Pam: That's my impression too, and I'm not happy with it. Changing the material to one closely matching the floor would go a long way to hide it or fade it into the background a bit more.

    @Horo: I too think the floor drain in the second image looks better. I think it's because the smaller something is the more definition it needs in order to look like something real. And the wider slats in that image does that nicely. As a side note, I mentioned I was having problems with Bryce crashing more than usual. Well, it's not a memory problem it's an MSVCR80.dll module problem, according to the expanded view in the crash window. Just a FYI.

    @fencepost: Drawing less attention to the drain is my intension, which is why I'm going to play around with other materials to see if one won't cause it to blend in better.

    @user.operator: Both the grid and slat style floor drains exist in the real world. And when they are used depends on the location and its use. Grid styles keep a lot of crud out of the sewer while slat styles allow it to be washed down the sewer. Because of the material used on the floor and wall of my image, and the total atmosphere of the image, this place needs crud to be washed down the sewer.

    @hansmar: Welcome, glad you came. Your abstract is really nice, hope we see more.

  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 593
    edited December 1969

    This ones for Trish. Forget the Mini, travel in style.

    Car model is the Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe from 3dbar.net I used in a previous render.
    Removed the window from and opened the passenger side door, changed the colour, turned the front wheels.
    Found a Spirit of Exstasy model for the top of the radiator housing, added number plate.
    Used a terrain for the ground and an HDRI for the background and lighting. Disabled sun light.
    Render settings were:
    Premium.
    144 RPP.
    Soft Shadows.
    Slight Depth Of Field.
    Maximum Ray Depth = 6.
    Render time 3.5 Hours.

    Rolls_Phantom.jpg
    1100 x 513 - 284K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 2013

    OH Heck Yea..... Stuart!!!! Don't back out on the deliver on this... or you will be on my list.....LOL Great render....Trish p.s. It was all about the purple anyway on the mini...your paint colors always come out perfect

    Post edited by Trish on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,703
    edited December 1969

    hansmar said:
    I wanted to save it to HDR and possibly play with Picturenaut to get something more out of it, but it saved only partially.

    I've also noticed that export as HDRI doesn't export the render properly at odd moments. Instead, save as 48-bit TIFF, that's actually what Bryce renders. These can also be opened in Picturenaut and then tone-mapped with one of the operators. However, I think this particular example - which looks very nice - is a bit low on contrast and wouldn't be a good candidate for experimentation.

    @StuartB4 - another nice one ...

  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 2013

    great scott! I do believe I have invented a new gem cut with excellent refraction properties ;)

    debeers, give me trucks of money!

    gdfgdfhdhg.png
    1114 x 705 - 665K
    sfgsfgfgf.png
    1162 x 668 - 622K
    Post edited by useroperator on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 593
    edited December 1969

    Ok Trish. I know you really mean your christmas card list. :)
    Thanks Horo.

  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 31,007
    edited December 2013

    GussNemo said:
    @Horo: I too think the floor drain in the second image looks better. I think it's because the smaller something is the more definition it needs in order to look like something real. And the wider slats in that image does that nicely. As a side note, I mentioned I was having problems with Bryce crashing more than usual. Well, it's not a memory problem it's an MSVCR80.dll module problem, according to the expanded view in the crash window. Just a FYI.

    Similar problem I found in MS support forum

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/hpsfexe-system-error-msvcr80dll-is-missing-from/88bdd285-339d-427c-89f5-7797c9acc6d0

    also a suggestion in another thread said maybe try running this again

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=3387

    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Francis TaylorFrancis Taylor Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

    A Lamborghini Aventador, Mercedes SLS600 AMG & Audi A8
    Rendered in Bryce 7

    lam13.jpg
    1680 x 720 - 826K
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

    StuartB4 said:
    This ones for Trish. Forget the Mini, travel in style.

    Car model is the Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe from 3dbar.net I used in a previous render.
    Removed the window from and opened the passenger side door, changed the colour, turned the front wheels.
    Found a Spirit of Exstasy model for the top of the radiator housing, added number plate.
    Used a terrain for the ground and an HDRI for the background and lighting. Disabled sun light.
    Render settings were:
    Premium.
    144 RPP.
    Soft Shadows.
    Slight Depth Of Field.
    Maximum Ray Depth = 6.
    Render time 3.5 Hours.

    That is a truly beautiful render...

    Um... there is just one thing. I thought it looked odd, and when I checked I found that nowhere could I find any photos of this model with the front radiator grill the same colour as the bodywork, it's always chrome. Just fyi...

  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 1,560
    edited December 1969

    @user.operator, I was going for an abstract with some reflections and some transparencies. Largely going with the flow, as I tend to do in abstract work (at least, when painting). I did not necessarily go for the vagueness, but ot came out nice, so I left it.

    @GusNemo, Thanks. This is not my main forum for renders, but I intend to throw in one in a while.

    @Horo, thanks for the information. It was one of your suggestions (brought to us in a tutorial by David Brinnen, I think) that made me go to HDR anyway. Glad that you know another option too!

  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,703
    edited December 1969

    @hansmar - when I made the video, I had never experienced that strange glitch - but since then it happened once - actually each time but only with one render. I don't know why that happens.

This discussion has been closed.