Sim Tenero Randomizer 2 vs original

Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,354
edited May 2019 in The Commons

Since I already have the originaal Sim Tenero Randomizer is it really worthwhile to get the upgraded version, Sim Tenero Randomizer 2, while it is on sale?

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Comments

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

I was wondering the same thing! But I don't think I'll take it.
    The version 2 was already out when I purchased the 1st one, but I didn't know that :'(
    It's one of the products I use the most.

In the description, these are the new features:

• Once a script, now a plugin. Randomizer2 docks into your interface with a new pane. No need to exit just to rotate your view or save your scene, Randomizer2 integrates right into your workflow!

It could be useful, but I'd never pay 20$ to have this feature. I don't even like the new graphic, and, in any case, I use it just when I create a new character, not continuously, so it's not a big deal to open it when I need it.

• Presets aplenty. Randomizer2 lets you organize your morphs into presets that work best for you. You can randomize different parts of the body individually, or organize your library of morphs in whatever way you see fit. Your presets stay with your figures, even when you load a new scene!

I've already saved the presets I need, browsing one by one each morph (it took a little bit of time xD)

• Per morph randomization ranges. Maybe you want some morphs to play it safe, only changing in a small range. Maybe you want others to run wild. Randomizer2 introduces user-defined ranges for each and every morph in your preset!

THIS is interesting!
    Indeed the current randomization process is not the best, but this way it could be customized...uhm...still not worth 20$ to me, but just because I already have the other version.

• Favorite shapes in a single click. Randomizing is fun. Sometimes you're on a roll and don't want to stop rolling new creations when you've spotted one you like. No problem! Randomizer2 includes a Favorites bar that lets you store and load up to 8 morph presets with a single click!

I can't think of a useful application to this feature in my current workflow.

...AND MORE! The list of thrilling newness just keeps going. Favorite generated presets, in-pane morph dials, custom preset colors, simplified filtering when creating new presets, streamlined preset import and export, features enough to keep the most enthusiastic of randomizers busy for ages!

I've not understood this part.

Purchasing the lowest price new release together with it, it would still cost 21$. With the gift card discount, it goes to 18,9$, which is 16,89€...too much for the upgrade, IMHO! :)

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,354
    TGFan4 said:

Purchasing the lowest price new release together with it, it would still cost 21$. With the gift card discount, it goes to 18,9$, which is 16,89€...too much for the upgrade, IMHO! :)

Thanks for your answer. The lowest price I could get was $14.38 and that required both a new release and two more of the "Best 5' Featured Items.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,213

You should read through the Commercial thread.

I only have the first version. Some people have complained that the second version is more difficult/time consuming to use. I'm sticking with the first version.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited May 2019

I have both; I's say go for version 2 if you can afford the little extra. Worth it imo, due to the extra functionality.

barbult said:

I only have the first version. Some people have complained that the second version is more difficult/time consuming to use. I'm sticking with the first version.

There are more options, which can be time-consuming; there are, however, a number of excellent features, the ability to save presets is a biggy.

Load the figure the presets were saved for; G8G here, and select said figure.

Navigate to the Randomizer 2 Tab and hit refresh.

Then just select whatever one requires (here I used: People - Real World), but I can just Ctrl Z to undo and repeat, or tweak existing.

You can export presets to back them up; they can then be imported when and if required.

Presets can be expanded, and manually adjusted too; the amount a preset is applied during the randomisation process can also be adjusted.

Edit:

IIRC, the presets are saved in: Daz 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female (for the G8F character); the presets are saved in a custom folder. I copy that folder as the easiest way of backing them all up - presuming it works as I haven't had to test just replaceing the folder, but I have the exported files too.

I'm pretty sure I tried copying the presets to a custom library in the same path, which didn't work sadly. (If I did then I did probably try replaceing the folder.)

sim rand.JPG
    795 x 1168 - 145K
    sim ten 2.jpg
    1390 x 1007 - 240K
    sim ten 3.JPG
    481 x 389 - 40K
    Post edited by nicstt on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601
    barbult said:

Same here. I have both and much prefer the first one

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,144

I only have the first one. Works well enough for me and didn't see a need to get the second :)

Laurie

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited May 2019

It says there is a panel, but  I look through the panels and don't find anything new. Can't figure out where this resides?

I see it in the screenshot above, but find no such panel in my Daz install

Update: got it! Had to update my application/plugin path

simtenero.JPG
    472 x 221 - 30K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Rakuda said:

It says there is a panel, but  I look through the panels and don't find anything new. Can't figure out where this resides?

I see it in the screenshot above, but find no such panel in my Daz install

Look for it from the main menu: Window->Panes (Tabs)->SimTenero Randomizer2. That will open the pane, you can then dock it as nicstt's screenshots (above) show.

(Just guessing on the "SimTenero Randomizer2" being the name in the list. I don't actually have this product.)

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931

@L'Adair Thank you. I didn't have my plugin install dir set correctly. Now it is working just splendidly!

:)

• JhudJhud Posts: 30

I would really like a manual to tell me how to use this thing. I own the original and the new one but have no idea how to use the new one. Yes there is a panel, but that is about all there is. I am using Daz 4.11 Pro.  I was not able to find anything on Youtube regarding this product.

Sim Randomizer2 problem.png
    1283 x 698 - 247K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952
    edited June 2019

Jhud I think you have to change your workspace type to get the lettering to show up, here's what you should see hope it helps

load your figure hit create preset ,load the mrphs you  want , pick a color and name the preset  hit accept  ... then play

Randomizer 2 UI.png
    606 x 1076 - 127K
    Post edited by carrie58 on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,466

i bought 2 on sale..super tedious to set up presets. check check check check, oops double hit..check check check check ... over and over a million times. 

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 577
    daveso said:

i bought 2 on sale..super tedious to set up presets. check check check check, oops double hit..check check check check ... over and over a million times. 

I just got it while on sale too. It's been in my wish list for a long while. There really is a lot of clicking, especially if you have a bunch of add-on morph products. I still really like the plugin and what it does though. It can take a lot of time for me to go through all the morphs and dial them one at a time to see how it changes the look of a character, so selecting a bunch of morphs I want to use and pushing a button to create random characters isn't any more time consuming in my case. It's also kind of fun to watch the changes. Sometimes the outcome is quite shocking and ridiculous if I get too carried away with adding morphs but also humorous. It would be nice if there was a way to add a bunch of morphs by clicking a product grouping instead of having to add them all one at a time. Another useful feature would be a button to uncheck all the selected morphs at once so we can select new ones quicker. I can see myself using it often even as it is though.

edited June 2019
    daveso said:

Yup might be tedious to set up BUT once you've created your presets for the figure when you reload the figure and hit REFRESH all the presets show back up so no recreateing them each time you want to use them .....

Post edited by carrie58 on
    Quasar said:
    daveso said:

I just got it while on sale too. It's been in my wish list for a long while. There really is a lot of clicking, especially if you have a bunch of add-on morph products. I still really like the plugin and what it does though. It can take a lot of time for me to go through all the morphs and dial them one at a time to see how it changes the look of a character, so selecting a bunch of morphs I want to use and pushing a button to create random characters isn't any more time consuming in my case. It's also kind of fun to watch the changes. Sometimes the outcome is quite shocking and ridiculous if I get too carried away with adding morphs but also humorous. It would be nice if there was a way to add a bunch of morphs by clicking a product grouping instead of having to add them all one at a time. Another useful feature would be a button to uncheck all the selected morphs at once so we can select new ones quicker. I can see myself using it often even as it is though.

Zero Figure shape will uncheck  all the morphs or Zero on the preset will do that too

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 577

That's not exactly what I was meaning. I was talking about a way to get a random shape I like but then automatically deselect the morph check boxes in the preset so I could keep the shape but not have any morphs selected. Then I could add new morphs to the preset to randomize. That was before I fully understood how the presets work. Now I see you can have more than one preset loaded at a time, each with their own morphs and each one can be deleted. So, I can easily start with a fresh list whenever I want. smiley

• Hi everyone !

Sorry disturbing ...

Please ... do someone have an idea of a detailled documentation or a link to the creator's site/contact to have a complete definition of features description w/ genesis generation considerations, that are useable w/ The V2, as I did not used the first one, not having any way of comparing as you do, all of you, w/ my respect for your work and experiences.

Is it "ONLY G3 & G8" or does it operate on other previous generations ? what about G2 & G ?! that is my question, really.

Very cool that it does match w/ the "market" regarding G3/G8 actually "generic" packaging used to be sold on marketplaces ?

really would like to have your point of view, cordially,

CORONA mention wishes : HOPE you'll all be well, you and cheers !