Optitex Clothing to D-Force?

If this is the wrong part of the forum to ask this, I apologize. 

I was wondering if it's possible to take a piece of optitex dynamic clothing for Victoria 4 and use it on G8F with D-Force? 

Comments

• I have done so, though I'd say it's wisest to export as OBJ and then load that for simulation

• lface8lface8 Posts: 126

Any steps other than the exporting as an OBJ and importing that back in that you'd recommend? Tried looking into OBJ to clothing tutorials, but Studio crashes when I try to use the transfer utility (think it may be because I'm adding a smoothing modifier to the object.) 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,640
    lface8 said:

If this is the wrong part of the forum to ask this, I apologize. 

I was wondering if it's possible to take a piece of optitex dynamic clothing for Victoria 4 and use it on G8F with D-Force? 

Just remember that dforce clothing as in the store has rigging/bones, optitex clothing is purely dynamic with no rigging or bones. It is very possible to make optitex clothing dforce enabled, but all that does is enable it to be used with the dforce simulation, not give it bones or rigging.

• 1.  Import OBJ

2.  Load figure you want the clothing to work on .... say G8 Female

3. Make sure the obj/clothing does NOT intersect with the figure anywehre. 

4. From scene tab select edit->rigging->convert prop to figure (default settings will be fine).  The name will change telling you the obj is now a figure with basic rigging.

5.  Again from scene tab select Assets->Transfer Utility.  In the dialogue box that pops up, check your source as the G8 Female and the Target as your new Figure... default settings should be fine here too.  Hit accept when done

6.  You now have a rigged piece of clothing. The last step is to make it dynamic by going to the Simulations Settings tab and selecting dforce->dforce Modifier Dynamic Surface and viola ... you're all done but the fine tuning.

• Victor_BVictor_B Posts: 391

Just remember that dforce clothing as in the store has rigging/bones, optitex clothing is purely dynamic with no rigging or bones. It is very possible to make optitex clothing dforce enabled, but all that does is enable it to be used with the dforce simulation, not give it bones or rigging.

The question is: should dForce clothing have bones and rigging for simulation?

The answer: No. Rigging is needed for posing, not for simulation. Just start simulation from memorized poses.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,961

Here is a tutorial from SickleYield on DeviantArt that will probably do it:

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Converting-a-Dress-from-V4-to-G8F-for-dForce-711872102

• lface8lface8 Posts: 126

Unfortnuately as that tutorial says, it won't work for Dynamics. 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,189

I've had success with some Optitex items for V4 just by loading it separately to the figure with G8F in the starting A-pose (i.e. not autofitting - I don't select the figure when I load the clothing) then moving G8F to roughly fit inside the clothing and using that pose as frame 0. I usually make the figure and the clothing into a group at this point. Then I add a dynamic cloth modifer to the outfit, tweak the surfaces if any need to be left out of the drape, set the desired G8F pose in frame 20 or so and animate the drape. I posted a render of the Maiden Fair outfit somewhere in the forum, I'll try and find that thread.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,719

You don't need to turn it into a figure, just import it and if it fits the zero pose make sure you have that memorised and start the simlation from the zero pose - if not pose the figure to fit inside the imported OBJ and memorise that pose.