Why did DAZ abandon Carrara?

I used to use Carrara for a LOT of 3D illustration, and some animation. It hasn't been updated since 2013. Why did Daz decide to abandon this app in exchange for a library of underwear models? Are Hexagon and Daz Studio supposed to replace Carrara?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

we have a lot of third party developers here still like Alberto, Philemo and Sparrowhawk but DAZ is only interested in selling content as you summised

they don't make a profit from people modeling and using Carrara's terrain, tree etc tools to render

DAZ studio only loads content so they make money selling it offering DAZ studio for free

• Succinct. The thread went nowhere else after this? Hm.

Why don’t DAZ sell Carrara to another company willing to continue its development?

yeah wish they would to be honest

it still is the only program that does everything I want

right now I am swearing at DAZ studio which is frozen not responding just deleting something from a preload scene!

DS is the crashiest software I own and just limited to loading premade content.

Unlike Carrara with its vertex, spline, metaball modelers, terrain and tree generation, volumetric clouds etc

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,024

RE: lack of replies.  Some subjects are more likely to be removed than others.  My experience has been that speculation about Daz3D's motives and intentions gets my posts removed.

Diomede said:

RE: lack of replies.  Some subjects are more likely to be removed than others.  My experience has been that speculation about Daz3D's motives and intentions gets my posts removed.

by people who use Bryce cheeky

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Daz does a great job of supporting DS.

Rendo now has Poser.

i think Hivewire is a lovely place ;-)

Just daydreaming.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

they culled th developers

the last regime change we almost lost the render challenge

• DAZ banked on the wrong software. They had a good thing going with Carrara and completely abandoned it. I've tried to like DAZ 3D but I'm not in denial anymore. That program is total shit with a buggy interface and a rendering engine that is way too slow to be even close to practical. Hexagon is pretty decent but is way outdated. Even their focus on exporting their assets to Maya and Blender is unreliable.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,402

The 3D field is brutal! It would cost a fortune to push Carrara forward. Blender took its spot, I'd say. Poser is a non-starter. It has to phone home and has a killswitch. Sad but true! There are other issues, but those may be subjective. Daz... I stayed at 4.10. I use mostly older content. It's fine on my system. I actually like it. Hexagon is a fun modeler with a lot to recommend it; but it does seem to drift off after a while. It's probably some sort of variable corruption. Cumulative rounding errors and all that. Too bad. Carrara does interesting things. It's fairly reliable. If you like it, use it! But I don't expect anything more to happen with it any time soon. Do you?

edited April 2020

is a small consolation when the tactics to drive carrara enthusiasts to the other product losesdevil

it's 14:02  lessee how long it takes  ... blink, blink

Post edited by Mistara on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,402
    Mystiarra said:

is a small consolation when the tactics to drive carrara enthusiasts to the other product losesdevil

it's 14:02  lessee how long it takes  ... blink, blink

It took me this long to notice and say hi. angel

why they make maya versions before making poser/carrara versions

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    OctaneRender plugin is being updated and Fluidos v2 the fluid sim, was recently released. Two big releases and plenty more smaller ones to keep everyone busy.

yeah but that's no thanks to DAZ angry

• Diomede said:

I was actually surprised to see this thread still here today, because... yeah... Same experience.

I’m not going to say that Carrara was ever really stable or bug/annoyance-free in my experience (did they ever fix the bug from Ray Dream Studio’s code in Carrara where you can’t continue to position an object along the side of another object when object collision is enabled?), but it was such an interesting mix of technical capability AND ease of use compared to most other capable 3D packages.

DAZ Studio... no thanks.

Also no thanks to pretty much everything else. The UI of Blender is abysmal (still better than the utter bonkers insanity of ZBrush). It also has no GPU acceleration on AMD GPUs on Mac OS, so I’ve zero motive to learn to tolerate the UI.

Modo was a crash fest on Mac OS, last I demoed it, and the “shader tree” is an abysmal UI model for texturing, so I have zero motive to tolerate or learn it.

Lightwave 3D was a crashy mess on Mac OS also, when trying to use the physics engine, and I’m not keen on the UI, but it’s a fairly robust package... just way too geeky and non-visual for me. I own an old license, they’re offering a discount upgrade right now... but $500 isn’t discount enough for me to wade back in there.

All the others... No thanks. All the same reasons. I’ve basically given up on 3D until, and unless, the software matures... and since most users (including the big money of the studios) are willing to tolerate the abusive garbage that is the norm with this world of software, nothing will improve. Plus the thermal design disasters of Apple machines, and their insane pricing for an actually thermally-smart Mac Pro...

I just dip my toes into the community once or twice a year to see what’s changed. I see nothing has changed (for the better), so I’m out again.

Best of luck to all of you still putting up with the tools in order to make stuff.

Lightwave 2020 has a free 30 day trial, maybe enough for you. Try Flowscape, unique UI...
  • starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Sadly Carrara is a dead end as far as far as further development, that has been apparent for years. So how critical is it?  

At present I work with Adobe CS 5.5 Photoshop, After Effects,  Premier and Dreamweaver 5 which are in a sense also dead, unless you want to play on the Adobe rental money-go-round, which I don't. So most of my important tools are frozen in time. Of course, I have looked into other alternatives as many others have done, but these old Adobe products are just too good, compared to the alternatives, despite their age.  The same can be said of Carrara. I have tried other 3D applications, such as Houdini 3D, but I still keep coming back to Carrara for its combination of 3D figures and intuitive object creation.

The problem is of course is that we will be left behind as both Mac and Window Operating Systems continue to upgrade.  I have been warned that Mojave is the last Mac version that will run Carrara. I suspect that this will also be true of the CS Adobe applications.  

So back to the original premise, Carrara is dead....but it is too good to abandon.  Like the old Adobe products..it is essential for my modeling needs, and I will just have to keep my Mac on the Mojave OS for the foreseeable future. Like many others I suspect, I have these gnawing anxieties of being left behind by the relentless upgrades until I stop to think about it.  If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it.  I still drive a 2005 VW Jeda, Its in great shape and I don't plan on upgrading it either.

I just take some consolation from the fact the latest UI bugs I an getting like a disappearing mouse cursor pop up more in DAZ studio they are actively developing toi!

It happened in Hitfilm too the other day and I ended up just having to close it and start over!

tee hee

i love solving their ds problems with carrara solutions

4.12.1.16 no longer allows multiple instances of Studio?

• Jetbird D2Jetbird D2 Posts: 95

interesting times ahead, I wonder if the only way to run Carrara in the future might become  as on Linux, using compatibility layer like WineHQ? 

There are plenty of free "Virtual PC" to run older Windows versions inside a window. Win 10 Pro has Hyper-V included, VirtualBox is another free option, the old classic VirtualPC is still downloadable from MS.

i'll ne holding on to win7 4eva

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,586

They did not abandon Carrara! If they did it would be opensource. No, the reason it is not being developed is that there just is no money in software upgrades anymore. Just renting out software. Adobe paved the way now everyone want a monthly payment. Opensource is the future of software development due to the fact that companies come and go and when they go so does their software and people are left without any recourse. I have learned GIMP and am learning Blender, both are not tied to profit and if you want something fixed you can do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. 

edited May 2020

I think making content that works in only DAZ studio will be their demise in the end angry

OK I am using alternatiives to Carrara as well but getting stuff to them expecially full of instancing and other DS quirks is proving as hard as using it in Carrara

I have been engaging in some epic battles with that colesseum for example as it has literally thousands of instances

I tried using replicators but because it is oval not round matching statues and shields up is proving impossible

my replicated stuffs all face outwards nicely but I find making the replicator oval stretches the distances between the outer statues so they don't sit in their alcoves

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

ray had a dream, once upon a time.  poor ray.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

I think making content that works in only DAZ studio will be their demise in the end angry

I haven't had too many problems loading Daz props, buildings, etc into Carrara. If Daz at least continues to allow that to happen, I think it will extend the life of Carrara.

What say you?
    tsarist said:

I haven't had too many problems loading Daz props, buildings, etc into Carrara. If Daz at least continues to allow that to happen, I think it will extend the life of Carrara.

What say you?

a lot use instances 

I guess it depends on the prop

that Colosseum by Protozoon is just about impossible to use in Carrara, I am still trying to get replicators to line up but being elliptical they don't space correctly as a ball stretched

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

have you tried the colosseum at Vanishing Point?

it may work better for you in Carrara yes

Stezza said:

have you tried the colosseum at Vanishing Point?

it may work better for you in Carrara yes

yes have rendered animations with it too

just was mentioning this one as an example 

its all that salty lake bizzness in utah, brine pickling in the brain