Light probes. . .

What the heck are light probes as opposed to any other kind of lighting?

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,151

A light probe is a spherical high dynamic range image (HDRI) which has an output hugely exceeding what an ordinary image can produce. The dynamic range of a picture is 256:1 at best, an HDRI can have millions to 1. Obviously, such an image cannot be displayed but there are several methods to compress the dynamic range so it can be displayed. However, a render engine can exploit that high dynamic range and thus light the scene. This is called image based light (IBL) and it needs a light probe.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2019

The term never caught on.

It was intended to differentiate the HDRI that we use, from the what photographers think of... a series of exposures tonemapped down to a Low Dynamic Range... which photographers still insist on calling HDRI.

Post edited by prixat on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,151

I think the term light probe was first used by Paul Debevec for spherical HDRI panoramas in the Angular Map projection at Siggraph 1997.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited April 2019

No. In photography a HDR image is created from a series of images taken over a range of exposures, each image typically separated by one stop of exposure. The final exposure isn't "tonemapped down to a low dynamic range" whatever that means. From a photographic perspective, 5 stops of exposure will typically be enough to accurately display a scene where a single camera expoure would either show part of the scene as completely blown out or completely black.

Calling such a composite image HDR is legimate for a photograph. 

prixat said:

It was intended to differentiate the HDRI that we use, from the what photographers think of... a series of exposures tonemapped down to a Low Dynamic Range... which photographers still insist on calling HDRI.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,199

I believe technically, a "light probe" was originally a physical object.  A spherical mirror that was inserted into a 360 and/or spherical scene.  The image in the mirror was photographed close up by a normal flat camera from multiple directions and the separate images combined and edited in such a manner as to remove the spherical distortions and to edit out the unavoidable side effect of capturing the camera and photographer.  Rather ingenious method to make the camera and photographer disappear. yes

• Well, I'm so glad it's about "light" the noun and not "light" the adjective!

Because at first, I was thinking...aluminum probes?  surprisecrying 

Sorry, I'm bad today.  Very very bad.  Hehe...

cheeky 

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2019
    fastbike1 said:

No. In photography a HDR image is created from a series of images taken over a range of exposures, each image typically separated by one stop of exposure. The final exposure isn't "tonemapped down to a low dynamic range" whatever that means. From a photographic perspective, 5 stops of exposure will typically be enough to accurately display a scene where a single camera expoure would either show part of the scene as completely blown out or completely black.

Calling such a composite image HDR is legimate for a photograph. 

prixat said:

Tonemapping "up" and "down" is my own term. laugh

When I combine bracketed exposures (tonemapping). I can combine them up to a 32bit exr file or down to an 8 bit jpeg.

...but jpeg or png files etc. are LDR files, its misleading, but understandable, that photographers call them HDR because of the method used to create them.

As Horo mentioned earlier, it was Paul Debevec who first tried to introduce the term 'Light Probe' for CGI, seperate from whatever photographers were naming things. A quick bit of google backed hindsight, shows it was not necessary. The search results are all about the kind of HDR we use in CGI.

(Give that another year and all 'HDR' search results will be about televisions!)

Post edited by prixat on