Is it possible to mirror a facial expression?

I created a very assymetrical face pose for a character. I'd like to mirror it to the other side of the face. Is this possible? 

Comments

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983

Pose Symmetry Shift+Y? There is an option to Swap Left/Right.

With the head selected and Scene pane right-click Select Children you can use it for all head bones/pose only. Unfortunately it will not mirror facial bones that where set by pose controls aka expression sliders. In this case you have to "Bake Morphforms to Transforms" first Shift+B.

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113

Pose Symmetry Shift+Y? There is an option to Swap Left/Right.

With the head selected and Scene pane right-click Select Children you can use it for all head bones/pose only. Unfortunately it will not mirror facial bones that where set by pose controls aka expression sliders. In this case you have to "Bake Morphforms to Transforms" first Shift+B.

I'll give it a try, thanks!

It looks like a no go. I tried a number of different possibilities, but in the end, none of them worked. 

It seems, for now, that facial expressions have to be mirrored by manually transferring values. Oh well.

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983

I'm sorry to hear that. Pose Symmetry had worked for me in the past as I was creating facial expressions on Genesis 8 with the Power Pose face template.

It can easily detect left and right nodes by their names "prefix" but the downside is it dosen't look for those pose control properties you may have used as a set of expression sliders.

The "Bake Morphforms to Transforms" is a workaround with the downside that it disables the pose controls and turns the bone rotation, location, scale to real pose instead of driven by the pose control slider.

Well its a shame that it can't work with pose controls, maybe someone should write a script that simply detects every property of the figure with left or right in the name to find the matching ones and set the values, depending on how you want them left to right, right to left or swap. Not only would it be useful for expressions but also for poses made with pose controls in common take the hand or feet pose controls for example.

I'm sorry to hear that. Pose Symmetry had worked for me in the past as I was creating facial expressions on Genesis 8 with the Power Pose face template.

It can easily detect left and right nodes by their names "prefix" but the downside is it dosen't look for those pose control properties you may have used as a set of expression sliders.

The "Bake Morphforms to Transforms" is a workaround with the downside that it disables the pose controls and turns the bone rotation, location, scale to real pose instead of driven by the pose control slider.

Well its a shame that it can't work with pose controls, maybe someone should write a script that simply detects every property of the figure with left or right in the name to find the matching ones and set the values, depending on how you want them left to right, right to left or swap. Not only would it be useful for expressions but also for poses made with pose controls in common take the hand or feet pose controls for example.

Ooooh, really good idea. If someone makes this, I will buy it instantly.