Why does SSS look so weird...?

iDiruiDiru Posts: 696
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I rarely render on SSS so I'm not quite sure if I'm doing something wrong. I rendered these 3 in SSS and it just looks odd. Am Imissing something? Is there a recommended setting for SSS? TBH I find non-SSS renders seem MORE realistic somehow in some aspects but maybe I'm not rendering right?
using Poser obviously.

sssbiscuit.png
993 x 804 - 1M
biscuit2.png
993 x 804 - 2M
biscuit3.png
993 x 804 - 1M

Comments

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

what kind of lighting are you using?

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

That looks like a lighting issue to me. See how much yellow is in the entire scene?

Some SSS renders for comparison.

SSS-test-003.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 32K
    SSS-test-001.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 39K
    Famn-Vodou_online.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 169K
  • iDiruiDiru Posts: 696
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    what kind of lighting are you using?

I'm using like...
    um...
    idk, it's some kind of light and light helper.
    I can't remember wat it's claled but I use like an orb that moves the lgihts.
    edited December 1969

That looks like a lighting issue to me. See how much yellow is in the entire scene?

Some SSS renders for comparison.

The yellow was an after effect. I liked the yellowish color for the picture. I added that in Photoshop with Lighting Effects.

However one or two of the lights were colored with a slight yellow tinge.

I felt like it went with the forest lighting in the background.

edited December 1969

iDiru said:

Yeah, but if you also enhanced the yellow effect in postwork, then you made the yellow that the lights brought to the scene worse. Lighting is very important, and I've learned also that yellow light can really tint a skin and make it look bad.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but lighting is EXTREMELY important. You might want to learn more about the light you're using. Really no point in using SSS if you're going to use poorly used or heavily tinted lighting. Those things will wash out the quality of the textures.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

You might want to try doing an ambient light with at a low setting and then adding some soft spot lights to highlight important areas.

edited December 1969

iDiru said:

Yeah, but if you also enhanced the yellow effect in postwork, then you made the yellow that the lights brought to the scene worse. Lighting is very important, and I've learned also that yellow light can really tint a skin and make it look bad.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but lighting is EXTREMELY important. You might want to learn more about the light you're using. Really no point in using SSS if you're going to use poorly used or heavily tinted lighting. Those things will wash out the quality of the textures.

This is why I generally do not use SSS, but I LOVED the way she looked so I got her but she only has SSS options. No regular texture options.
    I am aware of lighting, and I am still very, very novice about it despite my three years of Poser...

edited December 1969

Understood, but my points were general comments, not specific to SSS. Because of the normal higher quality of the SSS effect, poor lighting is emphasized more. SSS itself is very nice to use.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Are you using I3'd Pro Lights and Helper system? This product is mainly IBL based lighting. If you are using it, uncheck IDL in your render settings. If you are using IDL, you no longer need to use IBL's. If you are doing an outdoor scene with IDL, You really only need Bagginsbill's Environment dome and a single infinite light. Just make sure IDL is checked. If the figure seems to be bouncing too much light, you can try unchecking light emitter in parameters.

• ScraverXScraverX Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

I'd note, as a general observation, that it isn't just light that's important. Shadow is to.
    As already stated, I tend to avoid yellow tinting unless it is very soft.

Looking at the second image in particular I'd say there's a little too much light in the scene. In photographic terms, it's "over exposed".