Positioning Lights

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way in DAZ Studio to position a light next to a figure or other object without having to drag it there.

When I add a new light to a scene, it seems to place it randomly, or further from the figure, way above, outside the room the figure is in. Then I have to pan out to find the light and then attempt to drag it into the room and close to the figure. There has to be an easier way? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

In the Daz Studio view port, the drop down box for to change to the different cameras in your scene will also inlcude any spot lights or distant lights you have added.  Just select the light and move it like you would a camera.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,642

Thank you Mattymanx. I haven't moved a camera yet but I will give it a try.

FYI, none of the default cameras such as the side, top, bottom and perspective cams have thier postion recorded when saving a scene.  Nor are their movements recorded by DS for the Undo function.  So use those move around your scene when you place stuff and tweak stuff.  For planing your shots for your renders, create a new cam and play with its position.  You can use the copy and paste keyboard shortcuts in the scene tab and copy one camera and all its settings to another and the same with light to light.  I do this often with cameras when I kinda like one camera angle but want to try a slightly different one with out loosing what I have.

Thank you Sylvie1998.

Thanks Mattymanx. I'm going to try working with a camera today, and also your suggestion on lights. 

@Mattymanx You can also use Perspective view to get the angle you want and then create new camera with current viewport settings (expand advanced). That will put new camera to the same position as perspective view which you can keep moving around to get other angles.

Thank you, I forgot about that.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    von Hobo said:

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way in DAZ Studio to position a light next to a figure or other object without having to drag it there.

Of cource you can. You can set its position numerically.

OR you can use the aligning tool.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

The default load for the light is at 0,0,0

• Ascania said:

Hello,

Of cource you can. You can set its position numerically.

OR you can use the aligning tool.

Thank you. Genius!