Can not import .fbx .dae files!!!

Why I can not import .fbx and .dae files?
After importing .fbx and .dae, nothing is loaded.

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

As I didn't have any .fbx or .dae files, I went online and found one of each format, (Free, so don't worry about that.)

I have the DS 4.9 release installed, along side the latest 4.11 beta. I was able to Import both file formats to both programs without any issues. In fact, I was able to drag and drop those files into the scene. (I didn't know that would work!)

• What version of Daz Studio are you running?
    • Have you tried multiple files in both formats?
    • Are the files you're trying to import from a professional source, such as TurboSquid?
    • Or from a free share site, such as SharCG?
    • Or are these files you created in another program and exported to use in Daz Studio?
    • When you say nothing is loaded, is that because you don't see anything in the viewport?
    • Or are these objects not listed in the Scene tab?

What I'm trying to determine is 1) are the files really not loading, or could you have the viewport looking somewhere other than World Center, (an issue that's tripped me up more than a few times!) and 2) is it happening with any fbx/dae file, or is it limited to certain files.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

It has always been an issue. I have yet to have a successful import on anything other than a .OBJ

It has always been an issue. I have yet to have a successful import on anything other than a .OBJ

How strange is it, then, Michael, that both models I tried worked!? Very strange indeed. Maybe I should try on this old computer, instead of The Beast…

edited March 2019

I have 4.8 release and 4.9 beta installed on this computer, (the HP) and 4.9 release and 4.11 beta installed on The Beast.

I was able to import both models I downloaded from Turbosquid, one FBX and one DAE, in all four installs of DS. With 4.8, I was unable to drag and drop the files. And in 4.8, I had to select the file fomats in the drop-down, as they were listed separately.

Both the HP and The beast use Intel CPUs. The HP is running Win7 64-bit with 16GB of RAM; The Beast is running Win10 64-bit with 64GB of RAM. Not that I think it would affect anything, but the HP is using intergrated Intel graphics and The Beast has a GTX 1080 video card.

ETA: I know virtually nothing about using Blender, but I opened it and attempted to import both files. I was able to import the DAE file, but the FBX file caused an error to the effect that Blender doesn't accept ASCII FBX files. That tells me the FBX file I downloaded is in ASCII format, not binary. Could that be the reason Daz Studio is able to import it?

Here are links to the two models I "bought" at TurboSquid. You could download these and see if you can import them.

You'll need an account there to "purchase" and download.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566
    edited March 2019
    L'Adair said:

How strange is it, then, Michael, that both models I tried worked!? Very strange indeed. Maybe I should try on this old computer, instead of The Beast…

Sorry, I assumed the discussion was on rigged files and not unrigged ones. I can get the unrigged ones, like the lambo you linked to , to import fine, but I have a ton of FBX rigged game models I have extraced from the games I own and have not had a single one load correctly. Same for a ton of Collada (DAE) models from google warehouse and other places that won't load correctly

I have tried several different versions of FBX along with the Binary and ASCII. I use 2 apps for these files to try and get them to work in DS, carrara, which loads rigged FBX files perfectly, Ultimate Unwrap 3d pro which allows you to resave/export in the many different FBX formats and a game mesh plugin that reads/displays/exports a million types of file format types

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on

Okay. That makes more sense, then. I'll have to grab a rigged freebie and see what happens. Though I suspect I'm going to have the same results as you did.

So, not so strange after all.
    laugh

• Leo ChenLeo Chen Posts: 697
    edited March 2019

Thank you, L'Adair.

My DAZ Studio is 4.10.

Yes, these files you provided are fine.
    They can be imported to Daz Studio right.

But the simple logo model I created with C4D just can not be imported into DAZ Studio right.
    PS: I can imported them into Cheetah3D.

Post edited by Leo Chen on
    L'Adair said:

Yes, these models does works fine.

Thank you for sharing your experience, FSMCDesigns

Is there any "3D file format conversion program" which is good?

Leo Chen said:

Thank you, L'Adair.

My DAZ Studio is 4.10.

Yes, these files you provided are fine.
    They can be imported to Daz Studio right.

But the simple logo model I created with C4D just can not be imported into DAZ Studio right.
    PS: I can imported them into Cheetah3D.

You're welcome.

It sounds like there isn't any rigging in logo model. Try saving/exporting the model as a Wavefront OBJ. And then Import the OBJ into Daz Studio. There will be a popup dialog, and you'll need to select from a list of possible programs the file is from C4D is one of the options. The Scale will be determined automatically depending on which program you select, but can be changed. (The reason to choose the program the OBJ is from is because the unit size varies between programs. For example, with Daz Studio, "i unit = 1 cm" but with C4D, "i unit = 1 m"

Assuming you can successfully import the OBJ, you may need to experiment with the Scale to get the logo to be the correct size when the Scale Parameter is 100%.

edited March 2019

Thank you for advice, L'Adair.

The .obj can be imported but not correct if not triangulate or quart it before exporting from C4D.

Maybe the exporting function of the C4D has something wrong too. 

You said Cheetah3d could open the FBX file. Can you save it from Cheetah3D as an OBJ? Maybe saving it from Cheetah3D as an FBX will work as well…? Worth as shot. As you say, it may be the C4D export has a glitch.

I know all of this seems like a lot of trouble. And it is. But once you figure out what works, you'll know exactly what to do to bring any of your C4D creations into Daz Studio.

edited March 2019
    L'Adair said:

You said Cheetah3d could open the FBX file. Can you save it from Cheetah3D as an OBJ? Maybe saving it from Cheetah3D as an FBX will work as well…? Worth as shot. As you say, it may be the C4D export has a glitch.

I know all of this seems like a lot of trouble. And it is. But once you figure out what works, you'll know exactly what to do to bring any of your C4D creations into Daz Studio.

Yes, I can export .obj from Cheetah3D.
    But .dae and .fbx still are not working.

Now the bestway for the best result is "triangulate" the model before exporting .dae from C4D. 

duf
    duf
    陳駿鴻 金字招牌 Decimator.duf
    Leo Chen said:
    L'Adair said:

Yes, I can export .obj from Cheetah3D.
    But .dae and .fbx still are not working.

Now the bestway for the best result is "triangulate" the model before exporting .dae from C4D.

I'm not a coder, and I have no idea how to fix the import problem. However, if exporting the OBJ is working for you, I think that is your best solution for now.

Thank you, L'Adair.

You are most welcome, Leo.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited March 2019

The DS fbx importer doesn't work for rigged objects. Or it does work but limited to DS figures, exporting them and importing them back. AFAIK to import rigged fbx objects in daz studio the best option is to pass through Poser first. That is, fbx > Poser > cr2 > DS.

Post edited by Padone on

Thank you, Padone.