Looking for Maya plug-in testers

We at Daz3D are looking for some testers for a Maya plugin that is in the works.

Currently the plugin is in a late-alpha, pre-beta stage so it's not going to be something you want to work with every day (yet). In the spirit of getting bugs fixed early and feedback on what features are/aren't important we want to get a small handful of people together to kick it's digital tires. Testers will get a free copy of the plugin on release and an early look in to the plugin as it's development progresses.

So far, the plugin is only available for Maya 2019 on 64-bit Windows. If you have a Maya version down to 2017 let me know and we might be able to get you in on a later version of testing. This is going to be rapidly developed, so we are going to need feedback from you on a weekly basis at the longest.

What I want to know from you is:

1. How often you use Maya

2. A screenshot/render of something you have done in Maya

3. Are you going to be able to keep up with weekly (at the longest) development builds and be able to give each one a test.

If you are interested let me know by responding in this thread and I will email the "chosen ones" within the next week or so.

Comments

• joseftjoseft Posts: 310
    edited March 2019

I think i know what plugin this is, and the fact that you are asking for testers is really encouraging, sounds like this plugin is really going to be the solution that many have been wanting for a long time. 

I would volunteer to test, however i can't commit at the moment for a few reasons.

One thing i want to note though, is im not sure how many potential testers are going to see this thread. I think many users that use Maya often and also use and/or are interested in using Daz characters/content in their workflow are probably not consistently on these forums. It may be worth getting the word out on some other forums too and/or through other methods if you have not already.

i will try and pass this on to a couple of people i think might be interested

Post edited by joseft on
  • It is likely the plugin I've seen as well in threads (Dex  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/278111/dex-dson-exchange-plugin-for-maya/p1), which looks really promising. I don't have Maya but am actually thinking of getting it if the plugin development goes well. I'm glad DAZ is helping in developrment!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

It is likely the plugin I've seen as well in threads (Dex  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/278111/dex-dson-exchange-plugin-for-maya/p1), which looks really promising. I don't have Maya but am actually thinking of getting it if the plugin development goes well. I'm glad DAZ is helping in developrment!

I actually thought the same.

• It is likely the plugin I've seen as well in threads (Dex  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/278111/dex-dson-exchange-plugin-for-maya/p1), which looks really promising. I don't have Maya but am actually thinking of getting it if the plugin development goes well. I'm glad DAZ is helping in developrment!

nicstt said:

It is likely the plugin I've seen as well in threads (Dex  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/278111/dex-dson-exchange-plugin-for-maya/p1), which looks really promising. I don't have Maya but am actually thinking of getting it if the plugin development goes well. I'm glad DAZ is helping in developrment!

That makes 3 of us  

I would think that quite a few would seriously consider getting Maya if the plugin delivers the features that have been discussed on the other thread

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

nicstt said:

That makes 3 of us  

I would think that quite a few would seriously consider getting Maya if the plugin delivers the features that have been discussed on the other thread

So you would spend $190 a month just to use Daz figures in Maya. I have used Maya in the past and love it, but can't justify the cost now. Maybe DAZ could work out a sale with Autodesk for an introductory price for the DAZ market (hint, hint). I'd love a plugin for my 7 yr old copy of 3DSMax, LOL.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited March 2019

Yes (or get the full year as it saves a little). It's probably the best to animate with other than iClone, and probably better. Then you would have access to Arnold, and 3Delight, which each have render farm support through it (3dl Render Cloud). And all the other features.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    joseft said:

I think i know what plugin this is, and the fact that you are asking for testers is really encouraging, sounds like this plugin is really going to be the solution that many have been wanting for a long time. 

I would volunteer to test, however i can't commit at the moment for a few reasons.

One thing i want to note though, is im not sure how many potential testers are going to see this thread. I think many users that use Maya often and also use and/or are interested in using Daz characters/content in their workflow are probably not consistently on these forums. It may be worth getting the word out on some other forums too and/or through other methods if you have not already.

i will try and pass this on to a couple of people i think might be interested

If you (or others) would pass this along to others in the Maya communities I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not promising anything, but I wouldn't worry about Maya users that don't have a lot of Daz content not being able to test. If they give good feedback on the base free content we would likely need to expand their content library so they can test some additional content.

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited March 2019
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    joseft said:

DAZ_Rawb said:

We at Daz3D are looking for some testers for a Maya plugin that is in the works.

Currently the plugin is in a late-alpha, pre-beta stage so it's not going to be something you want to work with every day (yet). In the spirit of getting bugs fixed early and feedback on what features are/aren't important we want to get a small handful of people together to kick it's digital tires. Testers will get a free copy of the plugin on release and an early look in to the plugin as it's development progresses.

So far, the plugin is only available for Maya 2019 on 64-bit Windows. If you have a Maya version down to 2017 let me know and we might be able to get you in on a later version of testing. This is going to be rapidly developed, so we are going to need feedback from you on a weekly basis at the longest.

What I want to know from you is:

1. How often you use Maya

2. A screenshot/render of something you have done in Maya

3. Are you going to be able to keep up with weekly (at the longest) development builds and be able to give each one a test.

If you are interested let me know by responding in this thread and I will email the "chosen ones" within the next week or so.

1.   I use Maya all day every day

2.  screenshots posted

3.  I can thoroughly test it for I have been looking forward to it forever.  Once more, there are people in my chat workgroup who would also give it a thorough workout.

Very good news to hear you are moving into beta.

Screenshot (121).png
    3870 x 1972 - 2M
    explosion.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Facerig (2).PNG
    2561 x 1347 - 1M
    Post edited by drzap on
  • drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited March 2019

"So far, the plugin is only available for Maya 2019 on 64-bit Windows. If you have a Maya version down to 2017 let me know and we might be able to get you in on a later version of testing. This is going to be rapidly developed, so we are going to need feedback from you on a weekly basis at the longest."

I forgot to mention, I mainly use Maya 2017.  2018 wasn't worth the upgrade, IMO, and all my tools haven't migrated to 2019 yet.  But I have 2019 and I am willing to test it in that version.

Post edited by drzap on
  • ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    edited March 2019

I have maya but very rarely use it. I tried to port a Genesis figure and eventually gave up. If you need a tester who has very little knowledge to stumble through it I'm your man. I have no screenshots of anything I've done because I really just failed at trying to do things. I absolutely could do something at least weekly.

Post edited by Paradigm on
  • marquismmarquism Posts: 11
    edited March 2019

1. I use Maya throughout the day everyday/Newest version [2019 - 64-bit - Windows 10]

2. Screenshot is attached. If unavailable see here: https://i.imgur.com/UVzSSVn.png

b. Just a little 3D-toon animation I did in my personal style in Maya using Daz models:

[Have a good graphics card + a unique Xidax computer system. Which means any Daz material renders will appear immediately on my end for you]

3. Yes indeed. I'll be happy to take the efforts making sure to play my part giving thorough feedbacks for this plugin whenever needbe.

Mod Edit :- We recommend that you don't display email addresses in the forums.

screenshot.jpg
    1918 x 1074 - 749K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • daniel.p.dye@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 156
    edited March 2019

1. I use Maya regularly as part of my job, and own both DazToMaya and Genesis 8 For Maya. Have access to Maya 2019, but would prefer support for 2018 as that's my currently installed and configured version.

2. Here's a link to an animation I made recently using Daz assets in Maya: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/314066/iphone-and-g8m-facial-animation-test

3. No foreseeable issues with being able to test weekly developments.

I've also developed and released a few freebies, so have experience on the content creation side too - all using Maya as the primary application. My employer owns a small amount of g8 male content, but I'd be testing on my home computer so would only have access to the limited content I personally own. 

Post edited by [email protected] on

Thanks for the great responses everyone!

I'm excited about the responses so far, I will probably leave this thread open for another day or two but I am pretty sure I will be contacting most of you shortly and hopefully get something in your hand very soon.

If anyone else is still thinking of applying, now is your chance.

• 1. I use Maya religiously, I'm currently working on a plugin in Maya that corresponds with Daz3d and I'm also using another DSON Importer plugin that's basically a placeholder until this plugin is released, will love to give my input on this product.

2. I'll show you a couple of basic Maya renders that used Daz Characters. 

3. I'll thoroughly test this everyday along with my boys (in "drzap's" workgroup if we are lucky enough to test this product), we are a very anal bunch of Daz/Maya/CG users to the point where we barely get sleep, we will critique the heck out of this product everyday

Braids08.jpg
    960 x 540 - 279K
  • nvisualsnvisuals Posts: 12
    edited March 2019

I use maya for all my characer animation. 

Here all links to my work. All characters were made using Daz:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br8pn0PHZwn/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BscE08RHMWN/

I'd also like to mention I'm apart of the group chat Gavin and drzap posted about. These guys are extremely thourough and detailed. 

Post edited by nvisuals on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited March 2019

I have the academic license for Maya 2018 (and can easily get the one for 2019) and am available for testing. I don't know what the heck I'm doing in there half the time, but willing to try out the plugin if you still need people. I did purchase the DAZ to Maya plugin when that came out in the store and tried it a few times. Still a bit lost, but learning.

I am an IT professional with decades of computer experience. Very used to testing all sorts of stuff, whether I know the programs well or not, with a heavy emphasis on usability and documentation. Not afraid to jump in and I learn pretty fast.

In response: 

1. How often: not regularly, just poking around in it so far, but have tutorials to learn more

2. A screenshot/render of something you have done in Maya: haven't done any yet

3. Are you going to be able to keep up with weekly (at the longest) development builds and be able to give each one a test: Depends on how much time is involved, but I'd say yes.

Post edited by Llynara on
  • KennethCKennethC Posts: 24
    I use maya 24hours a day 7 days a week I even dream maya and daz. Ive been studying and grind8ng on daz to maya for over two years now..I can now bring in custom daz to maya with all jcms and facial morphs and now Im studying apple custom facial blendshapes to do facial mocap with iphonex. I also do ipisoft mocap and orion vive full body mocap with 7 trackers. I use marvelous designer to bring in custom clothing to daz to conform it to the characters and uze it maya. I use both maya 2017 and 2019. I also render in redshift, octane, and in unreal. Daz to maya to unreal has been a challenge but Ive been successful at the pipeline after some struggle. Ive been Testing daz characters in maya then to unreal with the new rtx 2080ti cards and its wonderful. Daz is the source of all my custom characters that I do sculpting in zbrush and maya. Here are some of my youtube links.

It looks like we have some good options in here. I am going to be contacting some of you with further details about the beta testing process.

I am going to lock this thread so we don't get anyones hopes up that didn't make it in time.

This discussion has been closed.