What is Unimesh & Do You Need it for M4/V4?

I’m still not sure how DS handles figures before Genesis--  even after reading an old topic so please bear with me.

What is a unimesh and do I need it for M4/V4?  

In a topic from 2013, the consensus was (if you have Mike or Vicky “elite” 4.2?) you don’t need the unimesh unless you want to put clothes on Aiko, Freak, etc.

Reason I ask is still some good period costumes outthere for that generation.  Also, am limited to M4/V4 up to G2 in Carrara. (until the experts there solve hit & miss problems with shoes sometimes distorting if try to use G3 or G8 workarounds)

With the sale, I can get about 6:1 ratio of older wardrobe items versus ones designed for G3 & G8.

That almost sounds too good to be true so figured I’d ask before pulling trigger on cart. 

Thanks for reading!

--Bruce

Comments

• You need the unimesh if you want to use it with a character that has Generation 4 morphs not listed in the original clothing description.  For example; if you are using an outfit made for V4, and your character is a straight V4, you do not need unimesh.  However, if your character is V4, with a little Aiko4 thrown in (by dialling), you will need unimesh fits.  My first character was a V4 with Aiko4 and Stephanie4 attributes... a nightmare to fit clothing to.  If you are planning to use a lot of different and custom-dialled Generation 4 characters, unimesh is your friend. :-)

Buying older generations is vastly less expensive than new, and you can very quickly accumulate a great closet for your characters.  I only moved to Genesis to make use of the autofitting in Daz. :-)

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,029

“Unimesh” refers to the fact that all generation 4 figure were made from the same mesh.

”Unimesh fits” are add-ons for V4/M4 clothes which add custom morphs to support main character morphs like A4 or G4.

You don’t strictly need them in DS as DS has features to transfer morphs to clothes automatically, but they’ll often give better results than automatic morphs.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

the best alternative for Carrara and Poser is D3D Morphing Clothes available elsewhere, Renderosity AFAIK,

I got it from Content Paradise and no extended DL even when they did exist devil so my version older, I missed an update window or two.

In DAZ studio you can run transfer Active morphs to fit the clothing so Unimesh not as important, if you get them on sale though they are handy if you don't want to fiddle around injecting morphs into everything with Morphing clothes.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Unimesh packages usually come with one or two extra textures sets is the only reason to buy them now if you aren't using them for their original intended target models. You should check in the what's included though to make sure you are getting value for your money.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Thanks for replies.

Other morphs is what had me confused from 2013 topic.  Makes a bit more sense now.  Will try to makeup examples.

V4.2 & “Happy Camper Outfit for V4” --->  no ‘unimesh’ needed.

M4 & “Mafia Mobster Outfit for M4” -- it might have him beefed up with ‘Freak’ morphs.   If I tried fitting outfit to Mike it wouldn’t work.  

That’s about the size of it?

Sorry if seem birdbrained.  12 outfits in my cart is a lot-- even if price is tempting..   Prefer not to bother store with embarrassing returns.

“Uhm... I’m a rookie.  I didn’t know about unimesh.”  blush

best

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

many clothes have the morphs already injected, some just sold them separately or had separate outfits, we got spoiled after Genesis expecting stuff to just fit different shapes, that was not the norm before.