Cold but emissive?

What would be the best way to get an emissive non reddish surface? Playing with Temperature goes burning red to pure white in a pretty hard gradient, and Im never able to change the hue, say, to green. Emission color quickly gets burned by the light itself, cant seem to make it noticeable.

What says you.

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,262

Have you tried varying the Emission Color? Keep the temperature at the default (6500) to avoid any red shift, and set the emission color to, say, green. It will get washed out pretty quick with luminance, so set the color quite dark if you want a strong, green light source. Use a paler emission color with lower intensities. Even if the source looks whitish, the light on the receiving surfaces will be green. Of course, any color will do...

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

10,000+ starts sending the white to a faintish blue white but the way you change it is like NorthOf45 said - with the Emission Color & temperatiures at 5500K+.

• guilledcfguilledcf Posts: 75

Thanks people! Guess I was picking too bright colors. I'm beginning to get some hues now. 

Cheers :D

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Set the temperature to Zero (0) and only the emission color will matter.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Playing with Temperature goes burning red to pure white in a pretty hard gradient, and Im never able to change the hue, say, to green.

Look up the Wiki on "Black Body Radiation" — it gets a bit dry and technical, but that's how the Temperature parameter affects the colour of the light emitted. You also must keep in mind the Luminance/Luminous Flux* value (and all the parameters that modify its value) since the amount of light will also affect the point where any colour applied to the light (in Emission Color and/or Base Color) will wash out towards white.

* Note that some of the emissive parameter names are, for some obscure reason, different between actual lights — the usual Point, Spot and Distant — and mesh lights, which are just ordinary mesh objects with the Emissive surface material parameters activated. As far as I can tell, anything with similar names works in the same way.

• guilledcfguilledcf Posts: 75

Thaks guys! I'm not much of a renderer -- as you may have guessed. This iRay here, everything's so damn photometrically accurate that just surpasses me. Im finally getting some results, with your ideas. Cheers!