How to make normals visible?

XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello!

How can I make the normals of a mesh visible in Hexagon? I would like to chek if they all point to the correct direction before exporting.

Comments

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

try this.

Orient_Normals.jpg
    679 x 126 - 25K
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Yes, I have already tried this. But either I use it in a wrong way or it does not work. When I click this, I get only 1 yellow arrow for the whole object and I dont know how to interpret this. Nothing in the manual about it. So, how is this used correctly to check all the polygons?

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited October 2013

You're probably on the Unify Normals option in the Properties box. Single click on the object to point them all inwards or outwards. Whichever direction the yellow arrow is pointing, is what all of them are at. Change it to the Reverse Normals option to see all of the faces separately.

Left icon is Reverse Normals (aka single face), right icon is Unify Normals (aka all at once). You can also hit that strange A looking icon when in Unify mode rather than clicking the object.

orientnormals.png
    270 x 454 - 19K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Ah, thats how it works. I think I understand it now. Thank you!

But let me ask another question. It is related to this topic, so I dont want to start a new one.
    When you model a wide sash or loin or something like that which should be visible from both sides and therefore be textured on both sides - how is that usually done? Simply apply a minimum ammount of thickness? Or is there a better way?

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

I usually use the Thickness feature. Easier and faster. First just shape the single sided Sash mesh to fit the body and then add the thickness to it.

edited December 1969

Ok. Thank you very much !!!

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

The "A" is for "all" - select that first and you get a red arrow for each poly, so you can see whether any are pointing inwards, then select unify to get a single yellow arrow.

• BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

I've found that hitting the spacebar will switch the normal for me when they are all selected. This tool has been very confusing for me.