Let's talk about March Madness 2019!

Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758
edited February 2019 in The Commons

It looks like the store is gearing up for a huge campaign.

The sale offers have been different recently.

And since Daz seems to never use a template for a sales promotion, who knows what this year's March Madness will bring.

I wasn't blown away last year, so I have bigger hopes that this year is special.

Time to start stacking up on Gift Cards-  just in case.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,730

Hopefully I will get my tax refund in time for March madness and there would be a major gift card sale when it comes in.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,455

its been preetty mad for months ... and now even more sales..everyday is like credit card busting

• I think the name gives it away !!!

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

"When do we start talking about March Madness?"

We don't.  I don't want to scare my credit cards.

I think the name gives it away !!!

Except that for the last few years it's started in the last week of February, usually around the 25th.  

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,599

Doesn't matter for me, previous years haven't been to exciting for me and with G9 around the corner, it makes sense for me to curb my spending. I'll be focusing on non character specific addons from now on.  Plus I am saving for a new GPU for better rendering performance and since it has to be a 2080ti (for the 11 gig of memory and availability) I have to save a lot!

Hopefully I will get my tax refund in time for March madness and there would be a major gift card sale when it comes in.

Going by the last couple of big event sales, the pattern seems to be that we'll get some kind of large back-catalog sale on the weekend before MM starts, with a medium-sized GC card sale (10%-ish), then there'll be a new major figure drop where you can get an even better GC discount (20%) if you buy it at the same time as the Pro Bundle... and then there'll be another big GC discount when the next figure drops.  

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

I'm looking mainly for sets and utilities. Any males will be welcome but since we don't get many of those, I won't hold my breath ;). Got enough females to render one every day for a whole year and not use the same one twice I think. LOL. Not looking for those ;). Would be real nice if NGSIII would show up.

Laurie

• ElgyfuElgyfu Posts: 279
    Could someone please explain the gift cards, please. I have seen them with money off but not really known what they are for. Does this mean you can kinda stock up on reduced gift cards so as to put money "in the Daz bank" to spend here later? Usually gift cards means cards for, well, gifting.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203
    You can gift it to yourself and redeem it for Daz Store Credit to use later
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Now, as you're started.

Elgyfu said:
    Could someone please explain the gift cards, please. I have seen them with money off but not really known what they are for. Does this mean you can kinda stock up on reduced gift cards so as to put money "in the Daz bank" to spend here later? Usually gift cards means cards for, well, gifting.

Yup, gift to self.

barbult said:

nicstt said:

Now, as you're started.

Elgyfu said:

Yup, gift to self.

Basically, the big advantage is that if you buy at a GC heavy percentage off, that effectively gives you an extra discount on products that you buy with it.  That can add up quickly, since at 20% off, you can get $500.00 worth of credit for just $400.00, so if you spend a lot here, it can really pay off.  HOWEVER, and this is a big however, the one catch is that you can't buy a Gift Certificate with store credit, so you can't keep expanding your discount by spending the same money on a long sequence of GCs.  That's a logical enough restriction, but where this becomes a problem is that lately DAZ has taken to offering the best GC discounts with purchase of Pro Bundles and other big ticket items, which means that you can't use store credit to buy those items if you want to use the GC offer.  There have been a lot of complaints from people who end up having to use their credit cards to pay for those deals when they had plenty of money stored in credit, so it pays to have a "reserve fund" and not put all your cash into a GC.

Also having store credit tends to make many spend more and faster, LOL

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Actually by this time last year it was being talked about because it often begins during the last week of February. It seems very wierd that I won't be buying anything this year, well unless a big 3DU sale is on & I have some spare cash.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited February 2019

double post

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

New buyer alert!

When you buy a Gift Card, make sure you convert it to store credit. Gift Cards expire, but store credit does not expire.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited February 2019
    Cybersox said:
    barbult said:

nicstt said:

Now, as you're started.

Elgyfu said:

Yup, gift to self.

Basically, the big advantage is that if you buy at a GC heavy percentage off, that effectively gives you an extra discount on products that you buy with it.  That can add up quickly, since at 20% off, you can get $500.00 worth of credit for just $400.00, so if you spend a lot here, it can really pay off.  HOWEVER, and this is a big however, the one catch is that you can't buy a Gift Certificate with store credit, so you can't keep expanding your discount by spending the same money on a long sequence of GCs.  That's a logical enough restriction, but where this becomes a problem is that lately DAZ has taken to offering the best GC discounts with purchase of Pro Bundles and other big ticket items, which means that you can't use store credit to buy those items if you want to use the GC offer.  There have been a lot of complaints from people who end up having to use their credit cards to pay for those deals when they had plenty of money stored in credit, so it pays to have a "reserve fund" and not put all your cash into a GC.

You need to bare in mind, that you will spend more though. :)

Post edited by nicstt on
  • ElgyfuElgyfu Posts: 279
    You guys are so kind and helpful. Thank you. I am getting back up to speed.
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

Huh. I forgot that I bought a $200 gift card not long ago.
    I just checked, yep, I have that much store credit.
    Like finding a twenty in last winter's coat, only better.
    'Cept I can't spend it on gasoline. Or food.
    Just food for the spirit.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited February 2019

...not until after Tournament Week as that determines the "at large" invites for the smaller conferences.

Until then bracket seeding is all speculation and subject to results of games yet to be played (though Marquette is currently projected as the #3 Seed in the East and Wisconsin #5 in the South).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048

Last year, as compared to the year before that, was more like 'March Meh-ness', but there were still a couple of really cool moments.  So I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully we see some really sweet deals similar to those we saw in 2017.  March-April-May of 2017 was a flurry of really cool sales, which really put a lot of pressure on my Daz budget, but I'm glad that I was still able to get a bunch of cool stuff during those sales.

Of course, Hexagon wasn't free back then, but I still don't regret that particular purchase.

The last two pro bundle sales didn't wow me, so thankfully my banked store credit should still be around for the March sales.

'March Meh-ness'

LMAO, good one.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

If it's all really old old stuff again like last year, I'll make it thru without a whole lot of monetary outlay ;). I don't do Vicky and Mike 4 stuff. I didn't even when they were the only thing going...lol. Never liked em. And I'm certainly not gonna buy all that outdated stuff now.

Laurie

• The only thing we know for sure- is that they don't repeat campaigns.

So it could be meh, but I can almost guarantee it won't be meh for the same reasons.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,730

I liked but also hated the buy everything and get something free.  I spent so much that year it was not funny.  Probably did not end up using most of it.  I remember it was the year that Michael 6 came out.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited February 2019

..aww bugger, neither Utah ort BYU are in the NCAA tournament this year so no special coupons like we had a number of years ago.

Hopefully it won't be a BOGO or "buy this to get a discount on that" affair.. I miss the flat 50% off.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254
    edited February 2019

Or punchcards. NOBODY liked those.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • JOdel said:

Ugh, yeah, never again, please. The only sale "gimmick" ( using the term loosely) that I can recall that most people loved was the PC+ For a Day last fall.

There was a similar one Daz used to do at Anniversary Sales--a weekly "election" for items to be PC ($1.99) for a few days. A lot of people posted asking others to vote for particular items and it was a lot of fun. I think it would fit in for March Madness, although it was probably a lot of work for staff and mods.

Whatever they do, I hope MM19 is better than last year's. I had a bigger budget than I will this MM, but I bought only a couple things; the rest were the usual PC+/biweekly freebies.

JOdel said:

Ugh, yeah, never again, please. The only sale "gimmick" ( using the term loosely) that I can recall that most people loved was the PC+ For a Day last fall.

There was a similar one Daz used to do at Anniversary Sales--a weekly "election" for items to be PC ($1.99) for a few days. A lot of people posted asking others to vote for particular items and it was a lot of fun. I think it would fit in for March Madness, although it was probably a lot of work for staff and mods.

Whatever they do, I hope MM19 is better than last year's. I had a bigger budget than I will this MM, but I bought only a couple things; the rest were the usual PC+/biweekly freebies.

Those elections back in the old days were great... Personally, I think the best thing they could do is just carbon-copy the format of the last PC+ Anniversary Sale, as that's one of the best formats they've used in years.. 

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Also having store credit tends to make many spend more and faster, LOL

This!! laugh