How can I point all instances of a mesh at the same target?

Another question about instances, sorry. Let's say I have a scene where a figure is in the center, and arrows are raining down from all sides upon that figure. I load a single arrow into the scene, and then create a group of instances of it. I position the instances of the arrow so they're coming at the figure from all sides. Is it then possible to tell the tips of all the arrows to orient themselves at the target (or perhaps a null placed where the target figure is), or do I have to point each arrow myself manually?

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,209
    edited February 2019
    UltraScatterPro can do that. Do you own it? If so, generate the instances with it and on the rotation tab, select "Point at" and pick your figure.
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:
    UltraScatterPro can do that. Do you own it? If so, generate the instances with it and on the rotation tab, select "Point at" and pick your figure.

No, I don't own that. I'm waiting for the new one! It really looks good.

What is "the new one"? UltraScatterPro is the most recent version of that product line. UltraScatter was the original.
  • barbult said:
    What is "the new one"? UltraScatterPro is the most recent version of that product line. UltraScatter was the original.

It has launched? The last I saw was this thread. I didn't read till the end, but if it's launched, that's good to know. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/264256/ultrascatterpro-sneak-peek-commercial#latest

Yes, it was released on December 21, 2018. I have used it a lot, and I created a whole forum thread where I have been trying various experiments with it. There is one experiment where I investigated Point At. I discovered some unexpected behavior with Point At in some circumstances. HowieFarkes responded to that thread with the information that some options settings of Point At in UltraScatterPro use a built-in Daz Studio feature. Those are the situations that can lead to unexpected behavior. With other options settings, HowieFarkes implemented his own Point At. Those configurations work as expected. Check out my thread here. The Point At experiment is here. In this message, I do something similar to what you are trying to accomplish. I hope you find it informative. 

• barbult said:

Yes, it was released on December 21, 2018. I have used it a lot, and I created a whole forum thread where I have been trying various experiments with it. There is one experiment where I investigated Point At. I discovered some unexpected behavior with Point At in some circumstances. HowieFarkes responded to that thread with the information that some options settings of Point At in UltraScatterPro use a built-in Daz Studio feature. Those are the situations that can lead to unexpected behavior. With other options settings, HowieFarkes implemented his own Point At. Those configurations work as expected. Check out my thread here. The Point At experiment is here. In this message, I do something similar to what you are trying to accomplish. I hope you find it informative. 

Thank you!